Make a donation

Author Topic: rear badge machanism  (Read 2019 times)

Offline JakeGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
rear badge machanism
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:48:54 pm »
my gti is on a 05 so has the older type boot mechanism (that gets the white worm)

to eliminate the white worm and make the job of spraying it easier will the mechanism still work if i install the later type badge ?

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
Re: rear badge machanism
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
My 05 GTI has the white worm problem on the badge too. My dealer said that they couldn't just replace the badge, the whole mechanism inside would need replacing too. I think they just wanted to rip me off though, so I haven't done anything yet. Personally I prefer the old style smooth badge than the newer ones. I'd be interested to know if the white worm problem can be easily fixed!
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:24:33 pm »
The badge makes up part of the mechanism so the whole unit needs replacing. Its only on the later 2 part badges where you can replace the badge and then that is only the chrome vw logo

Offline Jonny54

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:44:28 pm »
I had the same problem.

I got a MK4 golf rear badge from a scrappy. split the chrome bit from the black plastic and sanded the legs off.

Then took the boot liner out and removed the three torx screws holding in the lock mechanism. The whole lot comes out then.
Then i un clipped the rubbish haggared 2D badge and was left with a black background which i sanded down, primed and painted in black. then super glued my mk4 badge over the top. Looks good enough for me and loads cheaper.. You decide..

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/mindgameemagdnim/IMAG0947.jpg

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:34 pm »
Keep an eye on ebay, can get a later 2 piece, or even a MK6 one.
The 2 piece ones go for about £40

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:53 pm »
my gti is on a 05 so has the older type boot mechanism (that gets the white worm)

to eliminate the white worm and make the job of spraying it easier will the mechanism still work if i install the later type badge ?

Or if your feeling flush you could install a reversing camera  :happy2:

That comes with the mk6 3d badge.

Offline Digger3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »
I had the same problem.

I got a MK4 golf rear badge from a scrappy. split the chrome bit from the black plastic and sanded the legs off.

Then took the boot liner out and removed the three torx screws holding in the lock mechanism. The whole lot comes out then.
Then i un clipped the rubbish haggared 2D badge and was left with a black background which i sanded down, primed and painted in black. then super glued my mk4 badge over the top. Looks good enough for me and loads cheaper.. You decide..

Proper job,,,  Well done that man there !
3DR GTI, Black Magic, Factory Fitted Winter-Pack, Lux-Pack, Colour-Coded Rear Valance, Otherwise Totally Standard, For Now.....  

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:04:46 am »
I had the same problem.

Did mine without removing the lock mechanism, rubbed down and sprayed while on the car. Painted my black background Tornado Red to match the car, more than happy with the result  :happy2: