Make a donation

Author Topic: I HATE auto wipers. Can they be switched back to intermittent with VAGCOM?  (Read 12905 times)

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
I love auto lights  :grin:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
I can see where your coming from with this, sometimes the wipers work great, other times they can be a bit slow to react, and when they do, they go into overdrive :driver:

The auto wipers on my old Civic Type R were much better -  :ashamed:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
I think the settings are in the Central Electrics module and look for rain sensor in the settings - needs to be inactive.

FWIW I have mixed feelings - sometimes they work and work well, other times it's crap but it's not reached the stage where I need to deactivate it.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower

I love auto lights  :grin:

I never use auto lights  :grin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
why don't you just have the stalk as low as it goes, this has wipers off. Then if you want them on slow move it up 2 places, medium move it up 3 places and fast move it up 4 places?
Aren't you just describing what the OP wants, i.e. intermittent wipers? I thought the auto wipers overide this, whatever position the stalk is in? I'll have to test this today, I'm sure I'll get the opportunity!

this is not the case on my 2006 8P
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing

Perhaps you have dust/dirt in between the sensor and windscreen?

....Not a good advert for someone who is a professional detailer  :grin: (Cambridge Autogleam Detailing)

Wipers are actually 1 week old and the screen is covered in so much rainx the water doesnt stay on it for long.. hence only needing the very occasional wipe.

I appreciate everyones responses but honestly I dont need to try the auto any more.. I just need to know if someone knows the answer.. Otherwise I'll borrow a vagcom cable again and give it a go myself.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
^^^^
Sounds like you need to stick your GTI engine and transmission into your VW van. It would make a nice Caddy conversion and we'd all enjoy reading your thread on it.

I'd love to do an engine conversion on the caddy. Ideally the 170bhp 2.0 tdi lump with a dsg box and 4wd :)

Can i borrow a few thousand?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
I think the settings are in the Central Electrics module and look for rain sensor in the settings - needs to be inactive.

FWIW I have mixed feelings - sometimes they work and work well, other times it's crap but it's not reached the stage where I need to deactivate it.

Thanks... I will have to get the cable and have a go I guess. I will report back.

To everyone else... Im not sure why some say they need adjusting to a sweet spot? There are only 4 sensitivity setting on the stalk and I've tried it at the least sensitive and when I turn them on in light drizzle the wipers only wipe every few seconds and then for no reason (rain hasnt got harder and I've not gone any faster) they go into constant mode.

I just want the auto mode off and for the 1st 'on' position to be a manual intermittent wipe.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Yes, you can adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor using vcds if you know what you are doing. Have to manually change a few bytes.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
Yes, you can adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor using vcds if you know what you are doing. Have to manually change a few bytes.

I dont want to adjust the sensitivity though.. I want the wipers and wiper stalk to be as if there was no auto sensor. I want to turn it off completely.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)

....Not a good advert for someone who is a professional detailer  :grin: (Cambridge Autogleam Detailing)

Wipers are actually 1 week old and the screen is covered in so much rainx the water doesnt stay on it for long.. hence only needing the very occasional wipe.

I appreciate everyones responses but honestly I dont need to try the auto any more.. I just need to know if someone knows the answer.. Otherwise I'll borrow a vagcom cable again and give it a go myself.

Your issue is probably the Rain-X then. I had the same problem with my vRS as the screen is coated with nanloex. Because the water is moving so fast over the sensor it assumes the rain is coming down quicker than it is so adjusts the wipers accordingly. I now don't use the auto wipers as unless it is at a point where it is needed then the Nanolex clears the screen perfectly fine for driving. If i do need the wipers i just switch them on :happy2:

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12

Your issue is probably the Rain-X then. I had the same problem with my vRS as the screen is coated with nanloex. Because the water is moving so fast over the sensor it assumes the rain is coming down quicker than it is so adjusts the wipers accordingly. I now don't use the auto wipers as unless it is at a point where it is needed then the Nanolex clears the screen perfectly fine for driving. If i do need the wipers i just switch them on :happy2:

Agree have Rain X on my car and have same issues!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
I had a freaky occurrence once when driving fast at night and an isolated, sudden and extremely heavy shower hit the screen - It was literally as if someone had been stood on a bridge and dumped a big bucket of water on me. Auto wipers to the rescue.

I had a similar occurrence. All of a sudden it was like I had driven under the Niagra Falls. My cars rear end swung out and I hit the central reservation of the M62, then spun a few times. Sadly auto wipers didn't have a chance and the BMWs life was over.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
I noticed something new yesterday when using the wipers - I had them on '2nd click' (constant slow) and when I slowed down (<5mph) the wipers started working intermittently...then once I began speeding up, they went back on to constant slow - quite ingenious  :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower

I had a freaky occurrence once when driving fast at night and an isolated, sudden and extremely heavy shower hit the screen - It was literally as if someone had been stood on a bridge and dumped a big bucket of water on me. Auto wipers to the rescue.

I had a similar occurrence. All of a sudden it was like I had driven under the Niagra Falls. My cars rear end swung out and I hit the central reservation of the M62, then spun a few times. Sadly auto wipers didn't have a chance and the BMWs life was over.

....Ouch!!!! Glad you didn't get hurt, that could have been very nasty on a M-way if other vehicles got involved.

Nothing to do with auto wipers but I do find the GTI very stable indeed in wind and rain - Probably helped by great low profile asymmetric tyres and stiff coilovers. I drove a standard Mk6 Polo in the same conditions/road/same day and it was all over the place.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!