Make a donation

Author Topic: MacBook Air Setup  (Read 831 times)

Nasir

MacBook Air Setup
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:37:38 pm »
I just ordered a refurbished MacBook Air to get myself in the Mac game. I know the basics of the software and I know it's considerably better than Windows.

Do you think it is worth upgrading to Lion 10.7 (It'll be on 10.6 Snow Leopard) or just wait for Mountain Lion in the summer? The only thing I want to transfer from my old laptop is the iTunes library, I gather this is easy? Is there a quick tutorial to fully understand how Macs work?

Thanks

Offline wigit

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
Re: MacBook Air Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:02:46 pm »
no technical guru (i just use one), finally upgraded to lion last week as wanted to set up iCloud properly and was worth the £20.99 and had no issues and was very painless  :happy2:

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 03:30:14 pm »
It's up to you mate. If it was me I would upgrade to Lion as it will give you the feel of the OS ready for mountain lion - its only 20 quid after all.

Enjoy macs - had several over the last few years (picked up a MacBook air a couple of months back - great piece of kit).

-----
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »
Regarding transferring your iTunes. What I have done several time from mac to mac and pc to mac us copy the entire contents of my existing iTunes folder onto and external hard drive then hook it up to the new mac and copying it over. Make sure you back up first tho. Also helps if you use iTunes to organise your music.

The other assumption is that all your iTunes songs that you've bought from the iTunes store were on your account and that you will be signing into the MacBook air as that account as you will need to authorise your MacBook air to play music bought by your account.

Hope that helps - sorry about the poor wording - on my phone so not easy to type loads!!!

-----

Nasir

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:12:43 pm »
Ye I think I'll update it to Lion when I get it. It's going to be a few months till the release of Mountain Lion anyway. Thanks for the input guys. Any things that I should do when I get it?

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:25 pm »
Depends what you want to use it for really! I mainly do some web design on mine.

-----

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:17:03 pm »
Bit of everything, but mainly internet browsing and Microsoft Word. I know the Pro is a stronger machine but I really needed the portability and lightness of the Air, plus it looks super sexy.

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:20:24 pm »
Bit of everything, but mainly internet browsing and Microsoft Word. I know the Pro is a stronger machine but I really needed the portability and lightness of the Air, plus it looks super sexy.

I've got the latest 13" Air and I love it  :love: