Make a donation

Author Topic: Bloody Bolt(s)  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Bloody Bolt(s)
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:26:46 pm »
Right, I need some top tips to removing a bolt that refussssses to move......

The bolt is like this, but BIGGER. The blooody thing will not move and has now become slightly rounded. This is an internal bolt, I really need some tips to removing. Have tried a larger size, hammering it in.

'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Bloody Bolt(s)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 07:30:50 pm »
grind/saw a line into the head and use a flat head screw driver?
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:33:25 pm »
 :signLOL:

Beat me to it, just about to post the same thing!
 :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
No good - the bolt needs some leverage in order to losen it < could not crack it with racket, hence why it kept slipping

The bolt in question is - the front seat belt bolt, lower one on the B pillar (floor)

Heating < If I was to warm the bolt would this losen the thread? what I am worried about would this also weaken the head and have a higher chance of snapping?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:01:32 pm by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:19:27 pm »
Front seatbelt bolt + heat = carpets on fire!! :surprised: :scared:

Good quality 'mole grips' such as Visegrips.?

Take seat out to aid access?

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:21:52 pm »
lol - Carpets etc. would be removed  :happy2:

Can't mole grip it as it's slighly sunk, you would only be able to get pinch it, could not get a full side grip to twist it.

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 08:33:27 pm »
heat makes things expand? I'm guessing this would not be a good thing for your scenario..? maybe wrong.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »
Impact wrench?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 08:35:35 pm »
Heating < was thinking expand, then cool to shrink it - would losen the thread.

Impact < going to see if the local garage can try this tomorrow. F**kers better not snap it.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 08:38:55 pm »
Me id just buy a new bolt and drill the old one out.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 09:00:06 pm »
i have got replacement bolts here. When you say drill them use a drill bit slightly smaller then the bolt and drill straight through the whole thing? What happens if part of the bol is still stuck to the thread? Total game over then?

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 10:04:27 pm »
Can you put an Allen socket into the bolt and just whack it with a hammer. Just shocking it to loosen it off. IIRC these bolts are thread locked.
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 10:09:38 pm »
Kinda tried with a torx.

:surprised: Can anyone confirm is these are thread locked? and I f**ked if this is the case?

Those who have changed the B pillar trim must have been able to remove them? hoping mines just stuck

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:11:03 pm »
You could drill the centre and use an easi-out  :happy2:

Or use a small chisel or centre-pop and hammer on the outer edge to get it started, once started the original torx bit should work to get it out the rest of the way.
GOLF R Mk7

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »
Jon - can you explain a bit more?

Whats an easi out?

hammer the edge < at an angle and try to turn it? would I not risk snaping the head off?