Make a donation

Author Topic: Places to visit in Cornwall  (Read 2166 times)

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Re: Places to visit in Cornwall
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:12 pm »
I,m there in a fortnight.Got a Stag do for a mate in Hayle,(Outdoor karting opposite the estuary),then back the following weekend for the Wedding.. As said already,St Ives,(watch the seagulls),Sennen is a must,Lands End if you have'nt already done it.

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 01:33:55 pm »
Busmans holiday - Helston Aeropark.  :laugh:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:44:07 pm »
Busmans holiday - Helston Aeropark.  :laugh:

not a chance I hate the bleedin things  :booty:

looking for campsite recommendations too fellas  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 06:50:07 pm »
2 campsites there i recommended in case u missed it.

campsite "Polmanter Touring park" in Halsetown overlooking St. Ives, they went there many times (about 7 consecutive years) before they bought a house down there, before they found that site they stayed at a CC site "Godrevy" in Hayle.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 06:56:24 pm »
I'm off to Cornwall in September. Will have to remember the Hayle pasties! :party:

Saintsteve

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 07:07:00 pm »
Very Cherrys lawn is not bad for campin in  :wink:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »
2 campsites there i recommended in case u missed it.

campsite "Polmanter Touring park" in Halsetown overlooking St. Ives, they went there many times (about 7 consecutive years) before they bought a house down there, before they found that site they stayed at a CC site "Godrevy" in Hayle.

no I saw them and appreciate it :happy2:, just weighing up the options pal  :innocent:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »
Another vote for Kynance Cove if you like a good crab sandwich. Park in Lizard and walk the coast path. Lizard Point is much nicer than Land's End btw. Port Isaac is nice, as is Padstow and its surrounding areas. Marazion for St Michael's Mount. There's a pub at the top of Marazion called the Fire Engine and you get a good view of the Mount from the back garden.

Sam's On The Beach in Fowey for eats.

Fountain Inn in Mevagissey does a great fish & chips with mushy peas.

Porthmeor Beach Cafe in Stives is good.

Haven't been for a few years now, but the Cobweb Inn in Boscastle used to do the best steak pie I've ever had. 5 of us went in there once and we all had the same after I recommended it to my friends and we sent back 5 plates that were licked clean!

Avoid Newquay like the plague unless your a fan of pissed up gangs of shirtless blokes on stag do's and that's at about 11am! Not a massive fan of Penzance and Falmouth either. Better to stick to the fishing villages and avoid the towns. There's no folk like Cornish folk...

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 07:28:29 pm »
thanx for that, the quieter places are what I'm after to be honest, so all good advice :happy2:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:36 pm »
The issue with Cornwall is there ain't a lot of work outside of tourism, so there's a lot of crappy bits, mostly in the bigger towns. I thought Truro was alright and probably has the best choice of shops, but the other places I've already mentioned I wouldn't re-visit. St. Austell is another bigger town not worth visiting.

Offline JamieP86

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 06:09:17 pm »
As a lot of people have said, Kynance cove is lovely, its only 5 minutes away from where i live, so handy!

You'll drive past RNAS Culdrose, so if you're into aviation or what not, we have a public viewing area... Usually fully of spotters though... No doubt you'll see a few of our choppers flying around.

Porthleven is a really nice small town to Visit, just down the road from Helston towards Penzance way...

As many have said, Philps for a pasty, but the Horse and Jockey in Helston beats it hands down! Not many people know about it, and do amazing pasties!

They have one in Porthleven also, which is right on the harbour, so can't miss it! Get a pasty, then pop next door for a pint!

St Ives is nice also, but gets VERY busy in the summer with all the tourists etc... Very hard to find a parking space usually.

Porthcurno is a nice beach, with the Minack theatre located just off it, have a look online and see if they have anything on... Amazing location just to be at.

Lands end isn't that great tbh, most people only go there for the "Sign"... Although if you're heading that way, Sennen Cove has a nice beach and is great clear water, good for a swim, or bodyboard if you like.

I love living here, been here for 5 years now, its a shame i have to move away for a year in June, but i'll be straight back as soon as i can!

P.s. Just a tip, if you're going swimming / walking on the beach, keep an eye out for the tides, they change fast and ALOT of people get caught out... Only go on beaches with the RNLI presence.

If you plan on going walking on the cliffs, again, please be VERY careful, as we get a lot of call outs for tourists not knowing the area, who have fallen, again with above, we get alot of call outs for stranded tourists.  :happy2:

Jamie.