Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Con - is it standard on a GTi?  (Read 3541 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Air Con - is it standard on a GTi?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 08:44:51 pm »
I found my return journey mpg dropped from 34-35mpg to 30mpg, which backs Greeners' statement of 10%.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
Re: Air Con - is it standard on a GTi?
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 04:04:02 pm »
I thought i read somewhere that the air con is clever enough to self lubricate when its not being used, therefore you dont need to turn it on occasionally. Could be wrong though  :P

Unfortunately air-con is not intelligent, it would be good if it was though. One of the main causes of air-con failure is when it is off all winter and then turned on again when it gets hot. Personally I just leave it on all the time, its useful all year round.

You do realise it increases fuel consumption by around 10%? Plus it makes the air in the car very dry during a long drive.

Really I actually find the difference in difference in fuel consumption so negligable that it's not a worry for me. The aerodynamic drag of having windows open causes similar mpg loss as air-con. I don't find dryness a problem unless i'm on a super long drive and then I might cycle it on and off periodically.

How do you measure the difference if you have it on all the time?  :confused:

I've obviously experimented between having it on and off over time and like I said I do turn it off now and then on long journeys. The difference is only ever  2 maybe 3 mpg and when I can get up to 45 mpg with the air-con on, the difference is not much of a concern!
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition