Make a donation

Author Topic: Need opinions S3 found a possible cars  (Read 4701 times)

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
Need opinions S3 found a possible cars
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:14:46 am »
Iv'e been looking at a silver S3 Sportback on a 58 plate it has the recaro buckets, nav and some other toys, but its DSG/S-Tronic.  

Iv'e driven an Octy Vrs dsg but it was a TDI and the power I would expect is different to the S3 so I'm a bit of a virgin when it comes to the DSG...can the guys who have gone from the golf to the S3 please give there opinions on how your finding living with it and a general use and cost i.e petrol mpg that sort of stuff also been haldex do you go through tyres??

I will only be using this car mostly for weekends and it will be a toy, but the wife will be using it aswell so it will get mapped but that's about it.

Cheers guys and thanks in advance

Darren
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:42:10 pm by mortygttdi »

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Need opinions S3 s-tronic or manual
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 08:17:41 am »
the only issue i've read about with the S3 and DSG is that it likes to change up early and drop the car out of boost. a Stage 1 remap remedies that fairly well and the power delivery is much more linear

a lot of S3 owners on VAGOC and the like reported getting up to around 350mi from a tank, but bear in mind that S3s (and quattro A3s) have a 60L tank rather than the 55 in the other cars
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 08:23:11 am »
I have a petrol Octy vRS TSi DSG and love it. My last vRS was a manual one and I would say the DSG is nicer/better to drive.

You can be lazy when you want, override and go to manual by using the paddles for a quick blast and then let it settle back to auto in D

Manual mode is great as you can pretend your Jenson Button on your favourite B-Road (or am I the only one that does that  :ashamed: :grin:)

Or you can put it in Sport and leave the box to do all the tomfoolery. Even better when you turn the ESP off  :wink:

In either D or S you can override and go to manual by using the paddles.

I use D round town/traffic and manual for everything else.  :happy2:

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:18:16 am »
I went from a manual GTi to a DSG S3, and will never go back to manual  :happy2:

I'm stage 2+ now on the S3 and it's an awesome piece of kit.  Even with torrential rivers in the road she will not slip under heavy acceleration, and the DSG is an absolute pleasure.  Also u don't have to really worry about getting an uprated clutch every few thousand miles.

I get around 28mpg on average, but I live in London.  When I drive to work with about 7 miles of town driving and 22 miles motorway I average around 30-32mpg, but I could get it lower.

The problem is u just love to put your foot down at the lights  :signLOL:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:30:10 am »
Darren,

Go and buy it if you like it, we loved ours, but with Sonia on doing short journeys it was burning the juice but on my run to work it was fine returning 32mpg , plus trying to get a 70 year old into those buckets was a no no... :chicken:

DSG was a pleasure, especially sat in traffic and traffic light GP's... :wink:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Re: Need opinions S3 s-tronic or manual
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:33:02 am »
Went from a gti to s3 sportback and whereas my long term average on the gti was 33 mpg its now around 30. Rural a road, mostly sticking to posted limits and no significant traffic. It is more sensitive mph wise to how you use the load pedal than the gti was. Boot it and see the guage drop. Grip and acceleration more than make up for that though! Dsg  would be awesome as you blast through the rev range quickly when pressing on.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:51:47 am »
Cheers guys appreciate the info, think I will be having a look at a few before I flash the cash but not having a car now its hard to get to far away places to view cars :sad1:

Another Q can you get cloth seats in the S3??

Darren

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 11:59:15 am »
I do like the sound of the mpg although it will be a weekend car until the winter months, so not too fussed about that side of it...ill just be  :driver: gonna go down to local Leeds Audi and see what delivery times are on new?

Darren

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 01:03:27 pm »
Darren,

I think IIRC that the last ones are about to be produced in the current 8P shape, so you may bag a bargain. Go for the Black Edition if cash is no problem.  :happy2:

Just a taster... :smiley:

Stafford Audi had a nice Java Green one...  :surprised:

http://www.staffordaudi.co.uk/vehicles-for-sale/vehicle-information.aspx?vehicle_id=12964

Bit pricey though and not a Black Edition
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »
Cheers guys appreciate the info, think I will be having a look at a few before I flash the cash but not having a car now its hard to get to far away places to view cars :sad1:

Another Q can you get cloth seats in the S3??

Darren

Never seen 1 with cloth, but u can go half leather half alcantara.  Mine has white alcantara inner and black leathe outer  :jumpmove:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 04:36:10 pm »
In everyday driving it's much better. On a blast that involves corners manual is better though. I've had times where you ate mid corner, apply power and there's a pause as the car tries to decide what gear would work best. Also the manual mode itself can be a bit frustrating at times.

Saying all that, unless your car is purely a weekend toy I'd get dsg.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 05:42:05 pm »
no UK S3s come with cloth unless it's a special order. standard equipment is full leather  :happy2:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 09:19:14 am »
I'g go DSG/S-tronic for sure.

Price of those S3's is very good compared to a Golf R which I have been looking at recently - like £7k difference.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 10:59:18 am »

Manual mode is great as you can pretend your Jenson Button on your favourite B-Road (or am I the only one that does that  :ashamed: :grin:)

....Damn! I thought I was the only one who did that!

I use D round town/traffic and manual for everything else.  :happy2:

.... x 2 - Think Manual but use D (auto) for town and traffic crawl queues etc.

DSG / S-tronic is the best of both worlds. As Carl describes in his full post, there are so many options and it takes a thousand miles to find what suits you best. Then it becomes natural and fluid. I now wouldn't buy another car without such a system.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!