Make a donation

Author Topic: Retro-fit Webasto Sunroof for Mk5 Golf  (Read 18508 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Retro-fit Webasto Sunroof for Mk5 Golf
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 09:59:28 pm »
Likewise, I'd never buy a car with a sunroof, let alone spending £1200 having one fitted. If it's hot, it's AC for me.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 05:57:47 am »

The attraction of a sunroof is you can open it and let the sunshine in  :laugh:  :signLOL:

So why not buy a convertible or folding hardtop if that's so important?   :laugh:

I'm not convinced!  :P

Because I live in Surrey, not San Tropet! It's not sunny enough to  warrant a convertible, and the winter is 7 months long, so I wouldn't want a soft top. But on the odd occasion it is sunny, I like to feel it on my boat race as I drive around the lovely Surrey Hills.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 08:47:41 am »
The reason I have never bought a convertible is that they are way too compromised. I did try, a number of times, but after the test drives, I walked away. Overweight with not much structural itegrity and I hate feeling a chassis twisting and creaking as you drive along. For me, a sunroof is the perfect compromise. Let the sun in and still has a roof joining the corners.

I'm with the OP on this one. If I can, I will. Job done.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 05:18:30 pm »
A sunroof is not really comparable with convertible - They each offer a completely different al fresco experience.

A modern sunroof has a both a heavily tinted glass panel and also a sliding cover to match the headlining. So you actually have at least 3 options. My BMW sunroof never leaked and neither has my GTI in over 100k miles.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 12:52:43 am »

The attraction of a sunroof is you can open it and let the sunshine in  :laugh:  :signLOL:

So why not buy a convertible or folding hardtop if that's so important?   :laugh:

Because I live in Surrey, not San Tropet! It's not sunny enough to  warrant a convertible, and the winter is 7 months long, so I wouldn't want a soft top. But on the odd occasion it is sunny, I like to feel it on my boat race as I drive around the lovely Surrey Hills.

Awesome - just saw the other thread where you said you'd put a deposit down on a convertible. Moving to San Tropez?  :signLOL:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 08:47:39 am »

Awesome - just saw the other thread where you said you'd put a deposit down on a convertible. Moving to San Tropez?  :signLOL:
Ha, I deserved that for being tempted by the evil of  Munich. However, Wolfsburg (with a sunroof) has won the day!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Saintsteve

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2012, 09:02:31 am »
Likewise, I'd never buy a car with a sunroof, let alone spending £1200 having one fitted. If it's hot, it's AC for me.

Sunroofs are for people that are going thin or bald ontop. (not long for me then lol)

have you noticed people driving open top hatches or Cabriolets that they Mostly bald blokes...

It's true, next time you see one.....  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 09:47:43 am »

have you noticed people driving open top hatches or Cabriolets that they Mostly bald blokes...

....I don't think so!  :grin: - Not the ones that I notice!  :evilgrin:

^ Mind you, she may be bald somewhere else.

And another one:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!