Make a donation

Author Topic: Child Seat  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Andya2z

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Child Seat
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:15:54 pm »
Hi all

Just after some opinions about child seats for my GTI
My son is coming up to 4 years old so should think about a new seat for him. All feedback welcome :happy2:

Car is a 2006 5door GTi with leather. Is does have isofix points also.

Cheers :driver:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Child Seat
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:32:23 pm »
Well I do have a genuine VW Isofix child seat, used it 4 my son from when he was bout 16 mths until he was 3 r 4 id say, he loved the design, etc, although that prob doesnt answer yr question, lol! Tbh, if sumbody offered me £40 for it, they cud have it, still in mint condition, cost me £180 new! Sales pitch over!
Andrew

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »
Hi all

Just after some opinions about child seats for my GTI
My son is coming up to 4 years old so should think about a new seat for him. All feedback welcome :happy2:

Car is a 2006 5door GTi with leather. Is does have isofix points also.

Cheers :driver:

We recently bought the Maxi Cosi Ferofix for my daughter - more details can be found here:

http://www.maxi-cosi.com/products/car-seats/child/ferofix.aspx

Always used maxi-cosi from when she was born and I've always found them to be really well made and practical.

The seat is easy to move in and out of the car (if you need to use it in another) and there's a clip that feeds the seatbelt through which makes it quick and easy to use.

There's also loads of colour options so you can choose one to match your GTI, even if you have that funny teal blue colour  :happy2:

I have a mate who works at MIRA (the place that does car crash tests) and he told me to get ISOFIX every time. If you've got the isofix capability, might as well use it.

Hope this helps.

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »
Likewise, we've always bought Maxi Cosi seats and will be buying a Ferofix for our son next year when he's 4.

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:54:47 am »
My little ones coming up to 4 also

Been eyeing this up  :evilgrin:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/accessories/child-seats/1KV019903/volkswagen-pro-gti-design-child-seat-bobsy?mark=golf-2004-2009&previousCategory=child-seats

Only thing holding me back is it's not isofix  :sad1:  well and the price  :laugh:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:16:31 pm »
I got our son the recaro young sport for when he grows out of his maxi cosi cabriolet which will be in the next month or so. The recaro will then see him until he grows out of needing a seat. I didnt bother with isofix as for a stage 2 upwards seat you'll barely ever take it out of the car if at all and isofix seats always come with a heavy base usually at an extra cost and are really no more safer than a 3 point harness restrained seat. Just a thought.

Offline oldmanspeed

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »
My children are 11,9 and 7, whichever seat you go for get isofix the seat locks in place ,without isofix the seat is free to slide about,and get a seat where the seat belt fits through a slot to locate on childs shoulder whatever height it is adjusted too.
In your area there should be a council run centre where for free you can go along and try a range of differant seats to see what you like and what fits properly.Well there is near me anyway.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »
My children are 11,9 and 7, whichever seat you go for get isofix the seat locks in place ,without isofix the seat is free to slide about,and get a seat where the seat belt fits through a slot to locate on childs shoulder whatever height it is adjusted too.
In your area there should be a council run centre where for free you can go along and try a range of differant seats to see what you like and what fits properly.Well there is near me anyway.

I'll report back whether I experience any sliding with our seatbelt only seat, the one we currently have although a seatbelt one as well requires a base as mandatory so maybe that has prevented any sliding. Never read any reports about the recaro young sport sliding around but we shall see  :rolleye:

Offline oldmanspeed

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 06:40:29 pm »
isofix seats are safer for your child.Its not there just to add weight.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »

They're only safer because they eliminate any errors when fitting. A correctly fitted non-Isofix chair is as safe as a similar Isofix chair.

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 08:26:26 pm »
we have a new model recaro young expert. its not the isofix type as i think its pointless if its sating in the car. isofix is great if you take the seat in and out a lot

the young expert lasts from 9months to about 4+ i think

its a really nice seat but i will say the new model is WAY bigger than the outgoing model so is very heavy and takes up a lot of space.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:24:19 pm by mkviken »

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 08:33:27 pm »

They're only safer because they eliminate any errors when fitting. A correctly fitted non-Isofix chair is as safe as a similar Isofix chair.

Exactly as Andrew says. If seatbelt seats were unsafe they would be outlawed. The whole car seat thing is a scam anyhow, 4 of us grew up in our family and all survived numerous car journeys over many thousands of miles and lived to tell the tale.

And before the evangelical internet warriors pipe up, no i take the safety of my child very seriously i just don't panic like fook because some 'expert' makes an opinionated claim that has little to no empirical evidence to back up what they say (having been paid to do so by either Health & Safety or the Car seat manufacturers). Never have been a fan of conventional wisdom, for starters there's no wisdom involved!  :mad:  :stupid:

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:26:37 pm »
i think isofix is great for baby carrier type seats where they're in and out all the time as it saves a lot of hassle and like above says it takes the element of error out of the question but if the seat is staying in then seatbelt types are just as good if not better. they weigh less, are lower down in the car which is safer as there is no isofix base etc
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:35:35 pm by mkviken »

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »
^^^ completely agree  :happy2:

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »
And me. I'm looking for a replacement seat for my wee one who is 3. I went for a seat that goes between 3-12 years and sacrificed the isofix as it seemed to not be a common feature on seats other than infants (as someone above mentioned). My problem with my existing seat is that whilst its secure, the design of the GTI rear bench means it doesn't sit solidly enough for my liking. I'll check the link above, but are there any more recommendations for seats that have a nice snug fit in the GTI?  :happy2: