Make a donation

Author Topic: Reg plate surround  (Read 961 times)

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Reg plate surround
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »
How do you take the reg plate surround off on the front??

Thanks  :driver:

Offline dan1985

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Durham Collective
    • Email
Re: Reg plate surround
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:09:57 pm »
Take plate off and locate the plastic rivnuts holding plinth to bumper. Either push the plastic circular centres through and out the other side or just use a drill. Then give it a pull and it'll be off

www.durhamcollective.co.uk  
North East VAG Owners Club

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »
once you unscrew your numper you'll see the four push pin rivets if its been fixed on properly

Google for 'Push Pin Rivet' and go to images - once you've got an idea of what your dealing with it'll be much easier - dont take a drill to it - thats overkill for a few tiny plastic push rivets!

you'll notice theres four 'notches' around the circle

use something thin, rigid and flat to get into those notches and pry out the centre flat 'pin', it should eventually come out totally (that centre pin goes into the other round bit which goes through the plinth and bumper and 'spreads' them to hold them in)

then do the same to all four corners

then very carefully pry out the centre pieces too

then it'll just pop off

be careful not let the numper plate plinth swing down on one pin as you may scratch your bumper...ask me how i know!

:happy2:
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:07:06 pm »
Thanks guys!

Ahah don't sound good with the scratching! :signLOL:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:07:09 pm »
I would have thought it would be much easier, and probabaly safer, to remove by first taking the grill off the car then pushing the pins out from the rear?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦