Make a donation

Author Topic: twintake with foam cone filters replacing the carbon canisters?  (Read 5798 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Saw a car with this set up recently. The foam cones replaced the cheap filters in the carbon canisters.

Anyone tried this themselves?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: twintake with foam cone filters replacing the carbon canisters?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:18:03 pm »
Did this car still have the CF cannisters in place?

Why do you dislike the forge supplied filters and think foam ones will be any better?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:29:27 pm »
Not the foam cones completely replaced the carbon canisters. So it was like an itg with two cones.

Not sure. I've jut heard from a couple of tuners that the filters are not up to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:47:16 pm »
Hmm, If you look at a twintake the whole intake is "suspended" in the air so removing the cannisters means that there won't be any front support. Unlike the ITG intake and many others, there is no bolt holding it to the engine case.

Pic courtesy of RR.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »

Not the foam cones completely replaced the carbon canisters. So it was like an itg with two cones.

Not sure. I've jut heard from a couple of tuners that the filters are not up to much.

....Care to give us more specific information?   :popcornsoda:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 04:03:24 pm »
I have no data or anything other than when I've asked a couple of tuners about intakes they have said the twintake filters are not great.

This twintake I saw had foam filters but I didn't look closely so don't know if or how it was supported?

Hence my asking if anyone else had done it :)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »

I have no data or anything other than when I've asked a couple of tuners about intakes they have said the twintake filters are not great.

This twintake I saw had foam filters but I didn't look closely so don't know if or how it was supported?

Hence my asking if anyone else had done it :)

....Hmm, I'm not trying to claim that the Twintake is beyond criticism nor that the filters can't be improved, but if the Twintake filters aren't "that great" then in what way are they "not great"? Independent dyno results tell a different story.

Also, who are these "couple of tuners"? Who they are may add weight and substance to their opinions which you report.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 04:19:38 pm »
I wasnt just asking because the filters may or may not be "poor" but also out of curiosity. Open foam filters obviously work for itg so wondered if two of them in the twintake set up would work well

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:39:24 pm »

I wasnt just asking because the filters may or may not be "poor" but also out of curiosity. Open foam filters obviously work for itg so wondered if two of them in the twintake set up would work well

....If you look at the airflow which the Twintake's cannisters deliver by the integrated design of the filters (see illustration below), it's difficult to see how foam filters might improve performance gains. Granted that filter surface area plays an important part and that foam replacements would have a greater total surface area. But the cannisters also help to protect the filters from both heat and debris.

You still haven't answered which "couple of tuners" think that the Twintake's filters "aren't that great". The point is that it's not sufficient, and it's also potentially misleading, to leave such negative comments without some substance. If these tuners are right, we all want to know why and to consequently be better informed for our individual purchasing decisions.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 05:04:53 pm »
Robin

On a side note did u remove the filters yourself on that pic ??

Not touched mine since fitting but think it is time I took them off for a shake and swap the 2 filters around!!

Easy to do or best left to a pro??

Cheers

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 07:22:29 pm »
Robin

On a side note did u remove the filters yourself on that pic ??

Not touched mine since fitting but think it is time I took them off for a shake and swap the 2 filters around!!

Easy to do or best left to a pro??

Cheers

....Hi Lee  :happy2:

I thought you knew how much of a 'girl' I am when it comes to hands-on cars - I can manage to remove my engine cover and to empty my Forge catch tank, but that's about it other than to inflate my tyres.

So, JKM fitted my Twintake.

When you say swop the 2 filters around i hope you mean just swopping the whole cannister+filter from side to front location and not swop the orientation of each filter within its cannister - In which case you risk debris subsequently being on engine side of the flow.

Swopping location will be an easy job, easier than the initial installation you did.

:happy2:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 07:27:29 pm »
Yes swap the 2 cans around - front one prolly full of muck!

Will have a go! Read the install instructions earlier seems straight forward enough  :happy2:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »
Filters are easy to remove.
I find the easiest way to remove the top cannister is to first push it backwards (jubilee clips loosen beforehand) then twiddle the cannister off the front silicone hose.
When re-installing, a little soapy water on the inside of the hoses make life much easier.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 08:19:12 pm »
Filters are easy to remove.
I find the easiest way to remove the top cannister is to first push it backwards (jubilee clips loosen beforehand) then twiddle the cannister off the front silicone hose.
When re-installing, a little soapy water on the inside of the hoses make life much easier.

Cheers will try that  :happy2:

Might even buy 2 new canisters as not that expensive from Forge  :smiley:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 08:35:42 pm »
Might even buy 2 new canisters as not that expensive from Forge  :smiley:

Why?
The cannisters are easy to open up revealing the filters that can be cleaned by immersing them in soapy water then rinsed and dried.