Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil Level and Polar FIS  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Oil Level and Polar FIS
« on: July 01, 2012, 01:51:35 pm »
Does anyone know what the figure is measured in? The reason I ask is that I got a 'check oil level' light come on for the first time yesterday. I checked on the dipstick and yes it was a little low. When I checked on Polar FIS the figure is between 28 and 29. Now I know this isn't litres but what is it?

Also, should the PD170 use oil?

Thanks.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: Oil Level and Polar FIS
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:58:00 pm »
probably the oil pressure
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:05:40 pm »
Sounds like a question for Rich...

Personally I haven't displayed that parameter (along with minimum oil level) as I haven't a clue what the numbers mean and it's easy enough to just do a weekly dipstick check for the oil level.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:11:02 pm »
This isn't on my front page of the Polar screen but have everything showing on the others from when I was having a play about with it.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:25 pm »
I've not been sure what the level is whether its mm from the base of the sensor or a percentage of the length of the sensor.  Best bet is to use it as a comparitive tool so top up using dip stick and see what the polar value is with engine off.

Then start the engine and wait for the oil level to flatten out that will then be your base line value, mine is about 70 engine off and around 60 running and i just keep an eye on the oil level that way with occasional dip stick checks.

It maybe sad but i always wait for the oil level to reach running before pulling away so you know the oils reached the top.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:05:25 am »
Hi Rich, I had a look this morning when I arrived at work and left the ignition on so I could watch it whilst the oil settled. My figure showed 29.7 and when running fluctuates between 28.0 and 29.0. I will have a look when I leave work once its been sat all day to see what difference there is then. I've also just put 4.5L (think this is the oil capacity) into a conversion app I have on my phone to see if it related to another unit of measure but nothing was even close.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:22:41 pm »
The value has nothing to do with the total oil capacity, google TOG sensor or VW oil level sensor and you will see a picture of a black plastic rod tat comes off the bottom of a metal housing that bolts into your sump, the black plastic sticks up into the oil and measures the oil temp and the oil level.

The sensor tells you the amount of oil as a level above the base of the sump, when your engine isnt running it will all be sat in the bottom which is the total level you will see.  Then when you start it up it will circulate around the engine and under normal conditions and at varying viscosities you have an amount in the sump that isnt being pumped around the engine so think of the value as ex number of units of oil level in the sump.

So the minimum figure I think is what will set off the oil level warning and the actual figure is the current value.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:21:09 am »
Thanks for the info Rich. I had a quick look the other day to see what the sensor looked like. I'm starting to think I have a dodgy sensor or bad connection though. 'Check Oil Level' warning came up again yesterday as soon as I got in. Polar FIS read exactly the same as it has done and when I checked it and the level hadn't moved from when I topped it up the other day.

Is there anyway I can see what the sensor is doing through VCDS?