Make a donation

Author Topic: Mac backup help needed please!  (Read 2048 times)

Ifti

Re: Mac backup help needed please!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 12:42:31 pm »
OK - Ideal solution.

You dont have to choose Synology but I only state this company as I have one myself! So.....

Synology NAS at work, which is used to store all data, whether its files, Time Machine, or so on.
A second Synology NAS at home,

You can set them up so that the NAS on site will automaticaly backup to the NAS off site.

This way you have nothing to carry around at all!

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 12:47:43 pm »
OK - Ideal solution.

You dont have to choose Synology but I only state this company as I have one myself! So.....

Synology NAS at work, which is used to store all data, whether its files, Time Machine, or so on.

You can set them up so that the NAS on site will automaticaly backup to the NAS off site.

He may also need to consider encryption, depending on the data. Then he needs a secure enrypted data link to the offsite backup as well.

All our offsite backups are encrypted, whether it be via tape or double take.

Ifti

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 05:25:00 pm »
OK - Ideal solution.

He may also need to consider encryption, depending on the data. Then he needs a secure enrypted data link to the offsite backup as well.

All our offsite backups are encrypted, whether it be via tape or double take.

Good point. I think Synology also encrypts the data - ill take a look at some point on mine. :wink:

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 08:01:52 pm »
If I was to use TIme Machine on all the Macs to backup to a Time Capsule, is there a way to 'automatically' backup from the Time Capsule to an external hard drive connected to it, that I could then take off site overnight?  If not, then it looks like NAS at work with a removable hard drive to take home at night.

I don't really fancy the NAS at home solution, only because if I'm on holiday, nobody would have access to it if needed.

The data we backup is for ongoing jobs & emails (we are a printing company) so an onsite backup, and a backup of that to take home would be fine I think.

Thanks again chaps - as I said before, really useful free advice!  :notworthy:

Ifti

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 09:33:34 pm »
I've never really used a time capsule, but I don't think you can back it up onto an external drive. The time capsule is really more for home users to backup their macs at home onto something with the convenience of it being wireless. In a business environment you are better off with the Apple Extreme router with an external HDD attached to it - gives you more flexibility with fewer issues, or of course, a NAS.

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 09:41:57 pm »
I've never really used a time capsule, but I don't think you can back it up onto an external drive. The time capsule is really more for home users to backup their macs at home onto something with the convenience of it being wireless. In a business environment you are better off with the Apple Extreme router with an external HDD attached to it - gives you more flexibility with fewer issues, or of course, a NAS.

You can export the backup from a time capsule. However, for a proper backup i would rather have a server grade NAS. Not a consumer device.