Make a donation

Author Topic: Interior grab handles  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Interior grab handles
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:14 pm »
I am just about to order some more o/s + n/s internal grab handles for the car as the horrible scratched ones have to go, but it occurred to me that the new replacement ones could be of the same material, could anyone say if the new ones have been redesigned or are the the same?

If they are the same is there a recommended aftermarket type people use?

TIA

Offline Digger3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Interior grab handles
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:21:35 pm »
No mate there just the same but for a tenner each if you have to change them every couple of years it's not the end of the world..
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49756.msg571139.html#msg571139
3DR GTI, Black Magic, Factory Fitted Winter-Pack, Lux-Pack, Colour-Coded Rear Valance, Otherwise Totally Standard, For Now.....  

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:52 pm »
Cheers digger, your absolutely right, for that price I may as well change them. Also very surprised to see they are cheaper at VW than eBay ????

Bonus!

Thanks

Offline manc01

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 06:48:43 pm »
Just attempting to remove my grab handles, i done driver ok, but how do you remove passenger? I removed the 2 torx screws, but there seems to be attached by some other little pins.. looks like i need take door card off?? Thought it was easy..? Help... :smiley:
I have seen the link others mentioned, but for passenger side i need to remove the handle thats attached to switch..??
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:51:33 pm by manc01 »

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 06:59:26 pm »
I replaced mine the other day, im afraid you have to take the door card off.

4 phillips screws and two torxs bolts and its off, obviously you may need to unclip the electric blocks.

On the back of the door card there is 3 more smaller phillips screws that hold the handle on.

My window switch has decided to stop working now so i need to look at this all again!!! :stupid:

Offline manc01

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
Thanks, o bummer.. i was hoping to not have to remove door cards. Always worried that i break the clips when you pull them off..
have to wait til i have more time spare.

Hope u get ur switch fixed.

Offline Yawn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:21:32 pm »

4 phillips screws and two torxs bolts and its off, obviously you may need to unclip the electric blocks.

On the back of the door card there is 3 more smaller phillips screws that hold the handle on.

My window switch has decided to stop working now so i need to look at this all again!!! :stupid:

You can change your window switch without taking the door card off, use a feeler gauge or similar to release the tabs nearest the door.

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:36:37 pm »

You can change your window switch without taking the door card off, use a feeler gauge or similar to release the tabs nearest the door.

really??

superb! ive been putting off taking the door card off again!

thanks  :happy2:

Offline Yawn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:41:05 pm »

really??

superb! ive been putting off taking the door card off again!

thanks  :happy2:

Yup, I changed all mine (mines a Jetta) for chrome tipped switches without taking the cards off, but I had to take the drivers off to change the fuel flap release switch

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
I am just about to order some more o/s + n/s internal grab handles for the car as the horrible scratched ones have to go, but it occurred to me that the new replacement ones could be of the same material, could anyone say if the new ones have been redesigned or are the the same?

If they are the same is there a recommended aftermarket type people use?

TIA

Hey I also noticed when I got the new parts they are not the same material, they seem to be more plastic,
rather than soft. Which in my eyes, I assume would scratch easier...
Can the original parts be got?
Or
Is this what VW now supply, or is there different part numbers for different material

I Know at the cost they can be replaced anytime!
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:11:31 am »
After putting them on I think the newer plastic - ier ones are an improvement.
Not so sticky and easy to scratch.

But to be honest with time I think even these will scratch up and feel softer, the plastic may even degrade over time like the originals.