Make a donation

Author Topic: "Members' Rides" only visible to online members?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
"Members' Rides" only visible to online members?
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:30:45 pm »
i was just thinking - with the spate of thefts of PQ35 chassis cars lately, would it not be wise to shield the "Members' Rides" sections to registered members?

there is a lot of stuff going around that theives scan the forums to look for things/cars worth stealing

it's not much of a deterrent, but it's at least something  :happy2:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 01:33:24 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: "Members' Rides" only visible to online members?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:33:34 pm »
I do tend to agree, we should protect these from the public, but on the same token, I'm guessing due to Google Indexing, it may bring in traffic to the website.

Rock and a hard place really, for me, if you're worried about cloning or anything on your car, don't post the reg online.

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:54:53 pm »
i was just thinking - with the spate of thefts of PQ35 chassis cars lately, would it not be wise to shield the "Members' Rides" sections to registered members?

there is a lot of stuff going around that theives scan the forums to look for things/cars worth stealing

it's not much of a deterrent, but it's at least something  :happy2:
:happy2:

I agree ! :happy2:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
If someone wants to get intel before they steal your ride surely they could just become a member and then sift through the pictures?

A car thief is much more likely to use other methods to track down a potential car to steal than to sift through a forum which may or may not have useable detail about the where about of high spec cars.

Your car is far more likely to be stolen by an opportunist than someone one who carefully calculates to steal it. Most professional thieves will walk away from a modded vehicle, they are looking for standard high spec motors to sell abroad or be stripped for parts. That said you can't count out the local thicko who fancies a go in your pride and joy!!

Car crime has plummeted since its peak in the 80's and now equates to around 10% of all crime reported, that's around 30% down.

Car keys getting stolen from your house is the most likely way a thief will relive you of your German passion Vagen!!