Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG maxogen whistle  (Read 22799 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
ITG maxogen whistle
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »
I decided to make a different thread as its nothing to do with either the open cone or the enclosed filter as the noise was there with both set up's

I've uploaded a youtube video. Ignore the actual video as I stuck the camera down in the cabin but if you turn it up you can hear the whistle on acceleration. And its just in the rev band that it whistles after each gear change.

It sounds like the noise you might expect from a brake squealing and ive checked and its in the pitch of high E so you know what your listening for :)

http://www.bgfl.org/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/index.htm (E1 on the keyboard)

This video is with the open filter fitted. Whistle occurs at:

0:28-0:29
0:41-0:43
And most noticeable on the video on gear changes between 1:00-1:10

d=1&t=20s

Its harder to hear on the video as its picking up a lot of background noise but in the car on your own its more noticeable by ear.

Is this normal / expected? Just a downside of an aftermarket intake?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: ITG maxogen whistle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:22:18 pm »
^^^^
Crikey! So I turned it up on my super-duper Shure closed-back headphones and nearly got my ears ripped off!

I can't hear the whistle you are referring to at all  :confused:

I know exactly what High E-minor sounds like as I have a flute concert tuned to that key.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »
^^^^
Crikey! So I turned it up on my super-duper Shure closed-back headphones and nearly got my ears ripped off!

I can't hear the whistle you are referring to at all  :confused:

I know exactly what High E-minor sounds like as I have a flute concert tuned to that key.

Really? I guess i know what im listening for..

Go to 1min in as as im pulling through the gears you can hear it just before and after the gear change.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »
thats the same noise my maxogen made so i took it off

i want to try another intake but not spending £300+ until i know for sure it won't sound like that again

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:34 pm »

thats the same noise my maxogen made so i took it off

i want to try another intake but not spending £300+ until i know for sure it won't sound like that again

....Some folks (not me as I don't have the hearing range of a dog) have reported whistles on the Forge Twintake too.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:48:38 pm »
I suspect that normal for your intake. The stock intake hides a myriad of strange noises.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:50:30 pm »

Go to 1min in as as im pulling through the gears you can hear it just before and after the gear change.

....Ah! Now I hear it! I was listening for a whistle which was in sync with the revs etc. It's not in sync and sounds more like an extended squeak than what I call a whistle. Sounds like air from a rubber balloon under high pressure, which I can understand folks thinking it's a leak.

Could it be the DV?

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »

....Ah! Now I hear it! I was listening for a whistle which was in sync with the revs etc. It's not in sync and sounds more like an extended squeak than what I call a whistle. Sounds like air from a rubber balloon under high pressure, which I can understand folks thinking it's a leak.

Could it be the DV?

bingo... yeah a squeak or as i thought ... a 'harmonica' style noise.

Hmm not sure... R-Tech did put a 'used' C type DV on the car because my D type was faulty... Im getting a G (or whatever this new one turns out to be if its better) and fitting it soon.

Because the sound started when I fitted the intake I just presumed it was the intake.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:58:20 pm »
Should bloody hope it's not the DV, i replaced mine with a G a few weeks ago, the day before i had my Twintake installed, so surely not that!? I have that whistle, but i actually quite like it, it's like it's warning me that when i put my foot down all hell breaks loose!!  :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 05:15:11 pm »
^^^^
Not wanting to alarm anyone with my DV suggestion - It's only a total guess as a possibility. If you had a DV leak I would expect a power 'leak' and especially a loss under hard throttle.

The sound might even be on my car too. As bacillus points out, there is a myriad of noises and my squeeeeek might be lost amongst the glorious Grrrrrrrr! from my engine mounts, usual Twintake sounds, Milltek exhaust, and occasional whine (which I enjoy) from the gears/Quaife.

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 08:34:24 pm »
Mine makes exactly the same sound, under full load - with both a D valve and a G valve.

I'm glad I found someone else that has posted on it, as I thought that i was the only one.....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:36:20 pm by GarethB »

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:11 pm »
Mine makes exactly the same sound, under full load - with both a D valve and a G valve.

I'm glad I found someone else that has posted on it, as I thought that i was the only one.....

Hmm.. so thats at least 3-4 people that have the same noise.. so I presume that just part and parcel of the intake.

Thats a pain then... I will have to decide if I can put up with it.... and also what performance it 'unlocks' when im back at R-Tech.

I might just end going back to stock in the end though and selling the bits.

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »

Hmm.. so thats at least 3-4 people that have the same noise.. so I presume that just part and parcel of the intake.

Thats a pain then... I will have to decide if I can put up with it.... and also what performance it 'unlocks' when im back at R-Tech.

For me,It only make the noise under full load. so if you drive sensibly, you'll rarely hear it.

Personally, I feel that it adds character.

As for performance, mine made an extra 17bhp on JKM's dyno  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 08:48:05 pm »
I think that the bottom line is that most performance mods which are worthwhile are likely to 'compromise' how your car left the factory. It's ultimately up to the individual what they will accept. Jedi, methinks that you would not like my car one little bit.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 08:57:20 pm »
I think that the bottom line is that most performance mods which are worthwhile are likely to 'compromise' how your car left the factory. It's ultimately up to the individual what they will accept. Jedi, methinks that you would not like my car one little bit.

Dont get me wrong.. I like modifying and understand the pitfalls... but a whistle like that sounds wrong to me. whooshing and sucking yes ok... but that whistle / screech is an annoying noise that would make me want to avoid full throttle just so I dont hear it... and that makes the modification pointless if its means you dont want to push the car any more.

I might try pulling it apart. lubing up the hoses and pipes nicely and refitting making sure 100% its together properly but I wont hold my breath as i did a pretty thorough job the first time.

My friend has a twintake I might see if we can do an afternoon where we switch and see if that has the same noise on my car... otherwise I have been in contact with Volant and they are keen for me to set up a group buy so I might try one of those.

Just a bit of a let down when you had been looking forward to a mod and it doesnt perform as you expected.