Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG maxogen whistle  (Read 22796 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: ITG maxogen whistle
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »

VW will have spent a lot of time and effort on NVH on the stock intake to silence such noises.  Far more than ITG and Forge would as theirs are performance products with lets face it not much in the way of silencing qualities.  Would you not agree that they would just be chasing peak flows ? 

Personally it doesn't bother me unless the noise is a product of something other than the filter pipe resonance ie. boost control hardware resonating or malfunctioning.  The commonality of it 'may' suggest its purely natural turbo noises amplified by a big load of pipe with sponge on the end ?? 

....I couldn't agree more and nearly posted the same earlier.

Much as I respect that we each have our own individual feelings about what sounds we find acceptable, I think we have to accept compromises for the sake of extra performance. Personally, the 'whistle' I have eventually heard on the posted sound examples is not worth being bothered about, but that's just me.  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 06:19:32 pm »

VW will have spent a lot of time and effort on NVH on the stock intake to silence such noises.  Far more than ITG and Forge would as theirs are performance products with lets face it not much in the way of silencing qualities.  Would you not agree that they would just be chasing peak flows ? 

Personally it doesn't bother me unless the noise is a product of something other than the filter pipe resonance ie. boost control hardware resonating or malfunctioning.  The commonality of it 'may' suggest its purely natural turbo noises amplified by a big load of pipe with sponge on the end ?? 

....I couldn't agree more and nearly posted the same earlier.

Much as I respect that we each have our own individual feelings about what sounds we find acceptable, I think we have to accept compromises for the sake of extra performance. Personally, the 'whistle' I have eventually heard on the posted sound examples is not worth being bothered about, but that's just me.  :happy2:

I disagree that this type of noise is an acceptable side effect of an intake. sucking / whooshing yes ok. but this is a whine / screech / whistle and its pretty annoying.

But the fact that some KO3 cars dont experience it tells me there is something that can be done to fix it.

Also.. on the subject of 'the gains are worth extra noise' .. I've been doing more logging vs the stock airbox and posted my results here... http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50310.msg580317.html#msg580317

The 'gains' didnt seem as much as I was expecting?? Or are they normal for vagcom logs?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 09:39:45 pm »
found this on youtube

the twintake does the same noise.

&feature=related

Looks like its going to be a sound i have to live with or go back to the stock intake
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2012, 02:20:06 pm »
Well i really like the sounds my itg makes over the stock intake. As was said earlier in this topic i think you have to make sacrifises if you want that extra power.
I have a revo stage1 map and the itg compliments the revo software quite nicely and i have definatly added more bhp.
I guess what im trying to say is (sorry to be blunt) if you dont like it take it off and move on.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2012, 02:57:04 pm »
Well i really like the sounds my itg makes over the stock intake. As was said earlier in this topic i think you have to make sacrifises if you want that extra power.
I have a revo stage1 map and the itg compliments the revo software quite nicely and i have definatly added more bhp.
I guess what im trying to say is (sorry to be blunt) if you dont like it take it off and move on.

yes but do you have that harmonic whistle / screech?

The general noise I liked.. but not the whistle

h4rdy

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2012, 03:24:07 am »
I watched your video twenty times and could not here it but then I watched the US Twintake one and heard it straight away.

Ill tell you what it sounds like, it sounds like the waste gate actuator is a bit dry on the linkage so when its opening to relieve the pressure its squealing against the pin and linkage.

As soon as it starts boosting that actuator starts moving in readiness to dump the boost out of the exhaust.

Here is the LO380 from Loba:

Can you see what I mean? I marked the points where the actuator moves in case you don't know.

Now the big engine cover and pre cat are gone the noise is going to be louder.

I could be wrong but nothing to lose take it all off, again, and where that support/heatshield sits have a mooch for the wastegate actuator shaft and give it  lube with some WD40/GT85 refit and see what happens.

It will probably come back but at least you will know.

Its very dry inside that exhaust and around there so you never know but to me it sounds mechanical.

h4rdy

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2012, 03:26:36 am »
Why has that not come out on the picture my markings?

Anyway its the shiny long shaft in middle of the picture.

Linkage on the left..

Pressure relief on the right.

Lube it up. :scared:

h4rdy

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2012, 03:42:10 am »
Strange it has now.

Not saying I am right but just a thought.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2012, 07:33:19 am »
I can't see any Markings Justin?

Jedi... I really couldn't live with that noise mate. I heard it straight away on your video. Wtf??? :sick:

No such noises on mine, but as said earlier, seems to be a prob with the K03's only.

Maybe h4rdy is correct in his diagnosis?

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2012, 09:30:28 am »
If it was the actator then it would do it on K04s as well. It is down to the design of the K03. I have always thought it was a bad design having the dv bolt ono the turbo as I am sure it is that housing which makes the noise. It would be  good to know if cars that have relocated the dv to the front have the whistle.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »
Can you do a dv relocation on KO3? Or does that involve going KO4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h4rdy

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:02 pm »
You can but not sure what's involved.

That noise sounds like a dry linkage to me and as its not in line with revs that's why I thought.........!

Yes the 3 & 4 are fundamentally the same, you never know.

For the bit of time it will take you may be worth a try.

h4rdy

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2012, 01:43:59 pm »
And they don't all do it so maybe a bad batch?

Who knows but worth a try.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2012, 07:49:39 pm »
And they don't all do it so maybe a bad batch?

Who knows but worth a try.

Thing is I've heard videos of the noise with other intakes. Forge / K&N etc so its not even just the ITG.

Im fairly certain im not going to keep the intake at all now even if the whistle goes as I dont like the power delivery. I prefer the lower down grunt of the stock box.

I'll still take all the bits to Rtech on Tuesday and ITG are coming along to listen / play with it so I'll report back.

Having sampled the world of intakes though .... even if Rtech wave their magic wand and get my car running right with it fitted and ITG fix the whistle... I still think I'll sell it and re invest the money in something I will appreciate the difference with more... IE.. NQSBBK.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »
Unfortunately we didn't get time today to muck about fitting intakes and Andy from ITG had to cancel anyway.

Im happy with how it runs on the stock airbox now and i cant stand the whistle and doubt it will be any easy thing to find / fix so I've decided to sell the ITG and not bother with an induction kit at all.

Sorry to those who were waiting for answers but this will have to wait for someone else to look into it.

As a side note though... now i've been listening for it.. I can actually hear the same pitch noise with the stock airbox. Its VERY faint and happens for a shorter period in the revs and doesnt always happen but i've heard it a couple of times now. So I guess its a noise the KO3 makes but the extra air / metal piping from indution kits just amplifies this noise on some cars (still strage its some and not others)

Anyway. Thanks to those who gave input and feedback. I'd be interested to hear if anyone ever gets to the bottom of this.