Make a donation

Author Topic: Worrying noise from boot  (Read 724 times)

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
Worrying noise from boot
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »
Evening All, need some help/advice plse! I have noticed over the past few weeks that once my engine is up to temperature, ie. after a long journey, or a 'spirited' drive, i have a rattling noise coming from around the boot area. To be honest, i can only hear if when driving very slowly (obviously), like when driving close to home. I can only liken it to a noise that a boot might make if not closed properly! I have of course checked to ensure the boot is closed properly, and have even removed all items from the boot area, see if that makes any difference, but no!  :sad1:

I recently had a full BCS exhaust system fittted (last month), so i have prodded (gently i hasten to add) to check it's all fastened correctly, and whilst there is a bit of 'give' alright, i cant really believe that it's part of the exhaust banging against the undercarriage of my car, but i'm no expert!! It's strange though that this rattle/noise is only apparent when the engine is up to temperature..... :confused:

Your usual help and thoughts would be very much appreciated....

Andy

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Worrying noise from boot
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:50:52 pm »
I also had banging and a bad smell in the boot a few years back. I sorted it with a bag of lime and a shovel.

Exhausts grow when hot, it could be just touching something and then shrink again, making it very hard to tell. Look for rubbing marks on it.
Sideways yo!

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »
Cheers, if it is rubbing against something, can that be cured so-to-speak, or am i destined to forever have it??  :sad1:

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:58:12 pm »
There's some adjustment, just work out how and where it's rubbing and go from there.  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:08:38 pm »
thanks, if that indeed is the problem, but you would think that such an expensive piece of kit (believe me) wouldn't do that, or be fitted in such a way that would negate that happening!? I'm still open to suggestions about this of course, but yes, your explanation does seem quite plausable.....!