Make a donation

Author Topic: My cars still running lumpy and low MPG - damaged MAF? Now no turbo!?  (Read 8923 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
So... having swapped intakes 2-3 times recently I'm wondering if I may have damaged my MAF? (I might have dropped it once)

There is no fault on VAGCOM but im now back on my stock intake and I've just done 100 miles since resetting the ECU (I changed my steering controller last night so the battery was off for an hour or so)

50 miles from cambs to milton keynes today and i got 26mpg on the way there which was 80mph on the dual carriage way and then stop start traffic
50 miles back and got 28mpg JUST with slightly lighter traffic.

Straight after my Rtech map i was easily getting 30mpg on the run home and that was with me boosting everywhere enjoying the map... so something has changed

Car is also quite lumpy at idle.

I'm back at Rtech tuesday but if its a dodgy MAF i want to change it asap as it will be a wasted trip if its not running right..

So can a MAF be slightly faulty but not show up as a fault... or is it like a switch.. IE it either works or it doesn't?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:59:56 pm by jedi-knight83 »
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: My cars still running lumpy and low MPG - damaged MAF?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »
How old and how much mileage do you have on the maf?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:24:35 pm »
How old and how much mileage do you have on the maf?

2006 car 65k

like i say it was running great before I started chopping and changing intakes so either its STILL adapting or I've damaged it a bit or its something unrelated but coincidence on timing..?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:24:41 pm »
If it's dirty yes. What intake do you have any other mods? Buy some electrical cleaner and spray the inside of the maf so it's soaking. Do this a few times. And then leave it 30mins to dry.

Offline mark53

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »
If it's dirty yes. What intake do you have any other mods? Buy some electrical cleaner and spray the inside of the maf so it's soaking. Do this a few times. And then leave it 30mins to dry.

Ive got electrical contact cleaner from maplins. Is this the stuff?

I'll give it a go tonight.

Is there ANY remote chance that doing this will break it? AS i 100% need my car tomorrow morning.

I had an ITG but ive removed it and running stock now. Also got CAT back milltek and Stage 1

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 08:40:10 pm »
That's the stuff. I do it to my maf every time I remove it for longish periods of time. Never had a problem. It will be absolutely fine doing this though. Failing this not solving your problem get the vcds and log the car

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 08:40:58 pm »
That's the stuff. I do it to my maf every time I remove it for longish periods of time. Never had a problem. It will be absolutely fine doing this though. Failing this not solving your problem get the vcds and log the car

ha MORE logging... i've logged loads recently..

Which blocks inparticular? I've probably already done them :)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:44:52 pm »

so just to tripple clarify.. take the maf out and spray the maf where the air will flow inside it/over it/through it etc

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 08:47:44 pm »
Intake Air Mass g/s one as I believe the maf logs this figure.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:53:59 pm by donovan2123 »

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 08:49:42 pm »

so just to tripple clarify.. take the maf out and spray the maf where the air will flow inside it/over it/through it etc

Not on the outside as you will be wasting cleaner. Just inside intill its soaking. It dry pretty quick. And even wet can be fitted as the stuff evaporates.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 08:57:23 pm »
Intake Air Mass g/s one as I believe the maf logs this figure.

ive got loads of logs with that..

what kind of readings would indicate its faulty?

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 09:01:30 pm »
Post it up. Is it a log since you been having bad idle and mpg? Also when you say lumpy are your revs moving up and down or does the car wobble a bit.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 09:48:11 pm »
Post it up. Is it a log since you been having bad idle and mpg? Also when you say lumpy are your revs moving up and down or does the car wobble a bit.

Just been out and sprayed lots in the MAF. It goes ice cold but ive popped it back in the MAF housing and I'm not driving the car till morning so will give it plenty of time to dry.

It just seems a bit lumpy. doesnt seem to actually rev itself.

I'll find the link to the log.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »
It just seems a bit lumpy. doesnt seem to actually rev itself.

What pcv do you have?
Without traction power is nothing!