Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf Mk5 GTI potentail purchase  (Read 1489 times)

Offline rrunner12

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Golf Mk5 GTI potentail purchase
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:22:17 am »
Hi there, my vw bora has blown it's turbo and the engine looks terminal so looking for another VW.
Seen a mk5 gti with 65000 miles on fvsh, 55 plate, tartan seats,  5dr for £7000. It hasn't had a timing belt change done so imagine this should be done asap.
It's been professionally valetted and polished looks immaculate and the interior is perfect.
Had a test drive and the power delivery did stutter once in the drive. Listened to the engine idle and it was a little rattly, but not sure what they should sound like.
Is this a reasonable price or would you avoid.
Thanks

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: Golf Mk5 GTI potentail purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:56:10 am »
With those miles cam belt needs doing straight away.Check engine code & if it's an AXX model the rattle could be a failing cam chain & tensioner(they have a small one as well as the cam belt).The fsi engine does rattle a little when warm,direct injection is the reason.
Anything loud like a diesel & it could be the chain on the way out & there not a cheap fix.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline rrunner12

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:43:19 am »
Ok thanks for that - I will try and get the engine code. The dealer said teh timing belt needs changing at 80000 miles, but at 7 years old I think i will ask them to change it  as part of the sale.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:57:39 am »
Ok thanks for that - I will try and get the engine code. The dealer said teh timing belt needs changing at 80000 miles, but at 7 years old I think i will ask them to change it  as part of the sale.
..............60K or 4 years is recomended now. Ref the ''cam chain rattle'' if it is an AXX engine code take it for a good run to get it nice & warm,if it is on it's way out it will really rattle when warm,when engine is cold they sound find. I had an AXX engine code on my first GTI & had to have it all replaced,through luck under a warranty i had with the car. :happy2:

Offline rrunner12

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:08:37 am »
It is an AXX engine. What sort of price would  I be looking at to rectify if it does have  cam chain rattle.
Thanks

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:31:05 am »
im sure it's just the cam adjuster what needs replacing

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:44:04 pm »
im sure it's just the cam adjuster what needs replacing
..........they did the lot on mine.A good few hundred quid. I think it's the adjuster thats the money,think in total there are 3 or 4 parts.