Make a donation

Author Topic: General Electrical Question  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
General Electrical Question
« on: July 28, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »
Not on my Golf, but on the partner car (Clio)

The fogs are not working.....I have

Replaced the bulbs
I have checked the wiring with a tester - and there wires are live, even when I touch the rear of the bulb itself.

So WHY are they not coming on  :sad1:

Any thoughts please? doing my head in!!
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: General Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:43:30 pm »
Have they been coded out by mistake at some point?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 06:55:27 pm »
2001 Clio - don't think its that electroncally advanced........

Supply + feed to the bulb i should come on, surely? there is a + going to the bulb - don't get why it will not come on.....
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »
Bad earth?? If your getting power in on the live you might not have a return path

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »
Was thinking this........

- Tester shows a good +

best way to test for the earth?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 07:04:41 pm »
Are you using a continuity tester? If so put it into the earth and then down to the earthing point and it will tell you if there's continuity or not

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 07:07:57 pm »
The tester I have is just a basic 12v one, connnect the clip to the car boddy touch live and it lights up.....

these are the bulbs........no matter where I tough the bulb - it shows a + feed ?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 07:10:05 pm »
If there was an issue with a fuse, even the control arm (common fault) surely I would not get a + feed

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 07:16:26 pm »
If the fuse has gone there would be no feed, and as that tester uses the bodywork it is basically replicating te return path so I would be looking for an earthing issue.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
Earthing issue from where?

- lamp itself
- The stalk switch
- Fuses
- Relay?

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:38:23 pm »
Can you not put the tester between the two points on the bulb holder, that would tell you if the earth from the back of the bulb holder is good

If you are getting 12V at the back of the bulb, then that would tend to indicate that the stalk, fuse and relay are all good. Do you lose the 12V when you disable the fogs on the stalk, if so that indicates that its a earthing fault

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 07:21:08 am »
the metal part of the bulb will be +ve if its not earthed , touch the side of the bulb onto a known earth the bulb will light , im guessing the problem is the bulb holder \ fog light is nt earthed correctly

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 02:50:26 pm »
OK, looked at this again today - STRANGE........

Both the + and the earth lead have a positive feed ? any idea why the earth is giving out a + ?