Make a donation

Author Topic: Is it me or do I have the worst luck with clutchs!!!??? I need some help!!!  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Jimbo_h

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Hey guys could do with a bit of help/advice on my clutch....again

To set the scene I was just parking up after work and while reversing I slightly bumped the curb with my rear tyre (at least I didn't curb the bloody thing!) so went to go forward a little bit and the clutch pedal hit the floor and didn't come back up! and I couldn't get it into gear

I managed to park it up and then tried to get it into gear but with the engine on it wouldn't go into gear, with the engine off it does. I've tried switching it off and starting it in gear but it just sort of limps along. Checked the fluid and thats spot on, no issues.

Before this happening no issues what so ever, its not the same as what happened before as the pedal would come back up (the issue last time was a return spring in the drive plate popped out causing it to jam)

Any ideas have I knocked something off that I can have a look at?? or will it be a garage job? I actually feel physically sick 'cos last time cost me an arm and a leg to sort (still arguing it with Helix)

CW MkV GTI | DSG | Driver Motorsport tune | HPFP | SPM downpipe | Sach performance coilovers | Volant CAI | 18" Oz Ultraleggeras | SPM ARBs

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
If there are no fluid leaks then it sounds like the clutch has gone.
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline Jimbo_h

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
hmmm if the cluch had gone I would have thought it would have been a bit more progressive?? it happened when i bumped the curb....

CW MkV GTI | DSG | Driver Motorsport tune | HPFP | SPM downpipe | Sach performance coilovers | Volant CAI | 18" Oz Ultraleggeras | SPM ARBs

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
No your clutch hasn't gone  :grin: - you would have found it slipping a lot ( however you drove it) first to the point where it was undrivable.

At a guess id say this is something to do with the hydraulic system that operates the clutch (ie master cylinder etc) or the pedal has failed. Wish I could help you further but all I know is it's not your actual clutch failing

Graeme
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
If you pull the pedal up again does everything go back to normal?  But knowing the history of this car.

I would give it a bleed first.  If that doesnt work then I would say that one of the springs has snapped off again.

Have helix still not sorted you out a refund when the last spring snapped?  If the same thing has happened again then go for an unsprung plate this time.

BTW I was the guy who fitted the clutch for you at BDM before I left and started AKS.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Jimbo_h

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
If you pull the pedal up again does everything go back to normal?  But knowing the history of this car.

I would give it a bleed first.  If that doesnt work then I would say that one of the springs has snapped off again.

Have helix still not sorted you out a refund when the last spring snapped?  If the same thing has happened again then go for an unsprung plate this time.

BTW I was the guy who fitted the clutch for you at BDM before I left and started AKS.

Hi Alex, yeah just went and pulled the clutch out and it popped out and it felt all normal. A bit of back and forth, endgaging 1st and reverse and it all felt good (normal). Then the clutch just sinks again and its the same fault. I'm guessing it not another spring based on this. Master or slave cylinder?

and no, helix have still not paid up (the f@&kers), lots of emails, trading standards involved etc. not happy with them

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html

I would give it a bleed first.  If that doesnt work then I would say that one of the springs has snapped off again.

Have helix still not sorted you out a refund when the last spring snapped?  If the same thing has happened again then go for an unsprung plate this time.

Hi Alex, yeah just went and pulled the clutch out and it popped out and it felt all normal. A bit of back and forth, endgaging 1st and reverse and it all felt good (normal). Then the clutch just sinks again and its the same fault. I'm guessing it not another spring based on this. Master or slave cylinder?

and no, helix have still not paid up (the f@&kers), lots of emails, trading standards involved etc. not happy with them

Sounds like the master cylinder then.  As its not even a year old yet then you will be good for a warranty replacement.  Just have to pay for labour.

So if you raise the pedal up it will then pump fine until you hold the pedal down then it stays there?

Ive gone through 2 masters this year for that same fault.  The master cracks then the fluid leaks past the seal.

Give me a call as I have a couple of cunning ideas for you.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook