Make a donation

Author Topic: Time for DIY mechanic to fit TBE  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Time for DIY mechanic to fit TBE
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »
I have found a place locally that hire out ramps per hour for DIY mechanics and will be using them next weekend to fit my TBE system.

How long has it taken anyone that has done this by themselves to do?
I'm thinking of booking 3 hours just to make sure I have time to do everything and incase anything goes wrong.

HSE dont allow burners to be used at the place so I won't be able to use heat on any stubborn clamps

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Time for DIY mechanic to fit TBE
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »
what company did you use?

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:03:05 pm »
The ramp is being hired through a company called tools on in Aberdeenshire
And the exhaust is a blueflame

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:16:21 pm »
id say providing one of the bolts isn't insanely rusted on you should be ok with 3hours!

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:02 pm »
The problem your going to have is that if you got a pretty lengthy drive to the ramps then everything is gonna get hot and expand, making it harder for you to undo the manifold bolts. That being your biggest problem. If everything goes ok then you should have it done in around 2 hrs i would say. P.s give everything a good soaking in wd40

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:28:54 pm »
I have asked if grinders are ok to use and they are.

I would ideally like to keep the standard system but if I have to I will be chopping up the exhaust

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:30:24 pm »
The problem your going to have is that if you got a pretty lengthy drive to the ramps then everything is gonna get hot and expand, making it harder for you to undo the manifold bolts. That being your biggest problem. If everything goes ok then you should have it done in around 2 hrs i would say. P.s give everything a good soaking in wd40

I'm planning to get there a good hour beforehand to allow everything to cool down before starting the work

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:58:48 pm »
With a ramp you should have the old exhaust in no time at all. 3hrs should be easily do-able to remove and refit. Maybe take some plusgas to help free the bolts?

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »
With a ramp you should have the old exhaust in no time at all. 3hrs should be easily do-able to remove and refit. Maybe take some plusgas to help free the bolts?
Plusgas?

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 11:00:04 pm »
Plusgas?

It's a penetrating / dismantling oil. It works, unlike WD40.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 11:04:33 pm »

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:11 pm »
You may find having the exhaust red hot will make the nuts easier to remove and less prone to snapping as you have just said you can not heat them up using gas bottles! when doing mine i tried first with it cold and they felt like they were going to snap so got the engine up to temp and they came off no problem it just makes working on it a bit tricky and hot! useful tip i found is to undo some of the bolts from under the bonnet. remove the engine cover and using some extensions you can undo them easier than from under the car.
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 08:33:26 am »
Plusgas?

It's a penetrating / dismantling oil. It works, unlike WD40.

I'll have a look for it and order some up
Thanks
if you have to cut the exhaust then get a exhaust cutter
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Chain-Exhaust-Tube-Pipe-Cutter-Workshop-Car-Van-/271021137268?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f1a1e5d74,better than a grinder and a lot quicker
I'm hoping that I don't have to cut the exhaust but if it is a pain then I am going to have to

You may find having the exhaust red hot will make the nuts easier to remove and less prone to snapping as you have just said you can not heat them up using gas bottles! when doing mine i tried first with it cold and they felt like they were going to snap so got the engine up to temp and they came off no problem it just makes working on it a bit tricky and hot! useful tip i found is to undo some of the bolts from under the bonnet. remove the engine cover and using some extensions you can undo them easier than from under the car.

Is that the turbo bolts? That's the only ones I don't want to have to cut not too fussed about the rest

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:40:11 am »
No Cutting needed!

Open the bonnet, remove engine cover and then unplug the lambda sensor thats right on top of the exhaust (22mm spanner or lambda socket)

Then most of the turbo bolts that hold the downpipe on are visible and easy to get to with a socket and extension, they are tight but once cracked off are removed easily, some wd40 on the threads will help.

From under the car remove the 2nd lambda (22mm again) and then use a transmission stand to support the exhaust and either pop the rubber hangers off or unbolt the actual hanger itself (all 13mm).

Access to the last few turbo bolts (4 in total) is easier with the driveshaft shield removed (2 16mm bolts) and unplug the oil sensor plug from the sump and tuck it out of the way.

take off the 2 brackets that go accross the exhaust tunnel (4 16mm nuts on each) and the exhaust is off. Refitting is simple, start with the downpipe and work back.

Tips:

remember to plug the oil sensors and lambda sensors back in!
Lube the joints in the new exhaust with some wd40, makes it much easier to fit
Dont overtighten the turbo bolts, they only require 'nipping up'

Good luck!

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 03:27:52 pm »
No Cutting needed!

Open the bonnet, remove engine cover and then unplug the lambda sensor thats right on top of the exhaust (22mm spanner or lambda socket)

Then most of the turbo bolts that hold the downpipe on are visible and easy to get to with a socket and extension, they are tight but once cracked off are removed easily, some wd40 on the threads will help.

From under the car remove the 2nd lambda (22mm again) and then use a transmission stand to support the exhaust and either pop the rubber hangers off or unbolt the actual hanger itself (all 13mm).

Access to the last few turbo bolts (4 in total) is easier with the driveshaft shield removed (2 16mm bolts) and unplug the oil sensor plug from the sump and tuck it out of the way.

take off the 2 brackets that go accross the exhaust tunnel (4 16mm nuts on each) and the exhaust is off. Refitting is simple, start with the downpipe and work back.

Tips:

remember to plug the oil sensors and lambda sensors back in!
Lube the joints in the new exhaust with some wd40, makes it much easier to fit
Dont overtighten the turbo bolts, they only require 'nipping up'

Good luck!

Cheers!

I managed the exhaust system on my last car but when looking at the location of the downpipe to turbo flange on the golf I knew there was no way I could do it with just a trolley jack and axel stands.and it always starts to rain as soon as I jack my car up to do any work.

The guy that owns the garage has a set of hydrolic jacks that he says I'm welcome to use for supporting the exhaust

A few years ago garages up here used to do this kind of things no problem and for a fair price (£20ph through the books or £10ph cash) now its £50-£60 an hour + all the extras they charge (I got charged £3 for grease from one garage on top of a £500 bill for a new driveshaft and cv joint)  even had a guy offer to do it as a homer for £150