Make a donation

Author Topic: Today I.......  (Read 10658 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Today I.......
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:53 pm »
Today I...

used VCDS to turn on my fog lights as DRLs a la RedRobin:

....Great idea. You'll definitely feel pleased in the knowledge that others might spot you more easily at times when it could matter from a safety point of view. And they look cool IMO. They even make a difference to cars you are expecting to overtake on dual carriageways/motorways. The days of some people thinking you are a cock for having your foglights on are over (as I always knew they would be). [RR waits for some forum wag to say that some people think I'm a cock anyway! :laugh:]

Do your fogs have non-OEM bulbs?

Red Mk5 GTI in the background?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 03:24:55 pm »
They even make a difference to cars you are expecting to overtake on dual carriageways/motorways.

Please elaborate.
'07 Red manual

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 03:37:17 pm »
Driven from Preston to Newport Gwent to get a new passport, London tomorrow to get a new pilots license after some retard nicked my whole life in a bag from my van last week....

Got a US license too so had to explain to the Transport Security Agency/Homeland security Agency and had the FBI notified its gone missing as its a security risk.....

So guess who's getting the rubber glove treatment next time into the US

So to the retard who nicked my bag ......f#%k you, you moth#%#]*kin t*^t faced w#%k stain village idiot.....

Ruined a week of my life I'll never get back

:fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »
That aint good at all Dave!!  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 03:46:57 pm »

They even make a difference to cars you are expecting to overtake on dual carriageways/motorways.

Please elaborate.

....In daylight, in a similar way to when a car or motorbike is approaching you from behind with it's headlights on, your attention is (or should be!) grabbed more quickly than when the following car/bike has no lights on. But the difference with DRL's is that they are not as blinding and the emitted light is more clearly defined. The result is that a) you are not blinded and hence potentially irritated and b) your brain can more easily and accurately judge the scale and distance of the faster approaching vehicle. I first experienced this several years ago on unrestricted sections of German autobahns where I was holding ~130 mph but much faster German Audi RS's etc were bearing down on me at ~160-180 mph. Next time I went to Germany I had Hella DRL's fitted and so slower vehicles than mine would get plenty of advance notice of my approach. Audi were the first to fit such LED DRL's AFAIK.

Fogs/DRL's are much kinder to the eyes of other road users than dipped headlights in my opinion. Rightly or wrongly, some drivers view headlights as a degree of aggression and won't cooperate in letting you overtake.

Generally German drivers are far far better at keeping lane discipline though.

Hopefully I won't now have started something which results in me posting: Today I got embroiled in a long debate about DRL's  :laugh:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

R32UK

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »
not a fan of DRL's. simply c0ck lights imo. If you dont notice someone coming up behind you then you shouldnt be driving  :rolleye: :driver:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 04:07:07 pm »

If you dont notice someone coming up behind you then you shouldnt be driving  :rolleye: :driver:

....Absolutely true! So, how many drivers should be paying enough attention to driving and so notice you but don't? - Far too many. By having DRL's you are adding to the liklihood of some of those numpties seeing you and not pulling out on you or not moving over for you.

But if you simply don't like DRL's then that's fair enough and I'm not bothered by being thought of as a c0ck.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:54 pm »
^^^^
Just read DaveB's post - That's a real bummer! Sorry to hear that, Dave. Let's hope it's true that what goes around comes around and the scum befall an ill fate!

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 05:55:49 pm »
Cheers for your DRL explanation. I definitely agree that motorbikes with a dipped headlight are much more noticeable.

Only thing with using the front fogs is - surely they blind other drivers?? Or is it just the rear fogs that are so bright?
'07 Red manual

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 06:11:03 pm »

Cheers for your DRL explanation. I definitely agree that motorbikes with a dipped headlight are much more noticeable.

Only thing with using the front fogs is - surely they blind other drivers?? Or is it just the rear fogs that are so bright?

....Yes, rear fogs are a lot lot brighter than fronts, as I'm sure we have all experienced when numpties forget to switch the red rears off!

Front fogs will not be as effective as made-for-purpose LED DRL's which are classed as a passive light, the term 'passive' meaning that the emitted light does not illuminate the way ahead but is merely seen.

I find that the low down position of fogs is less blinding than headlights even when dipped. It's why I asked sub39h if he had aftermarket bulbs in his fogs.

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2012, 06:29:46 pm »

Hopefully I won't now have started something which results in me posting: Today I got embroiled in a long debate about DRL's  :laugh:

D'oh.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2012, 06:43:57 pm »
Today I...

used VCDS to turn on my fog lights as DRLs a la RedRobin:

....Great idea. You'll definitely feel pleased in the knowledge that others might spot you more easily at times when it could matter from a safety point of view. And they look cool IMO. They even make a difference to cars you are expecting to overtake on dual carriageways/motorways. The days of some people thinking you are a cock for having your foglights on are over (as I always knew they would be). [RR waits for some forum wag to say that some people think I'm a cock anyway! :laugh:]

Do your fogs have non-OEM bulbs?

Red Mk5 GTI in the background?

standard fog bulbs RR, and they turn themselves off when my (automatic) headlights are on, so no dazzling other drivers

the red GTI in the background belongs to someone in my building. i don't think he's an enthusiast tho, and it hardly ever gets driven.

Driven from Preston to Newport Gwent to get a new passport, London tomorrow to get a new pilots license after some retard nicked my whole life in a bag from my van last week....

Got a US license too so had to explain to the Transport Security Agency/Homeland security Agency and had the FBI notified its gone missing as its a security risk.....

So guess who's getting the rubber glove treatment next time into the US

So to the retard who nicked my bag ......f#%k you, you moth#%#]*kin t*^t faced w#%k stain village idiot.....

Ruined a week of my life I'll never get back

:fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

sorry to hear mate. they'll get what's coming to them, i'm sure
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

R32UK

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:10 pm »

But if you simply don't like DRL's then that's fair enough and I'm not bothered by being thought of as a c0ck.  :happy2:

I seem to find those with DRL's on also drive seriously close to the rear of my car... if anything distracting me from those in front slightly. I know you would do that though robin  :P

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 07:34:45 pm »
Par 58! Wow, thats short. Where do you play, Pete?

Yup - all par 3's, two par 4's. It's a tough course located in central Northants. Don't be fooled by the par. Requires a superb short game as one green can have reasonable hold, the next will be a postage stamp compared and you have to land everything short of the pin. I know plenty of single handicappers who get there with the wrong attitude and shoot well over 65...

It's one of those courses, always has something up it's sleeve  :wink: 2's aren't uncommon, but neither are 6's or 7's out of the bunkers with very little sand. It's not a 'proper' course, but a good experience. I know it very well now and consistently play 9 holes under a card of 35. I'm not a low handicapper or anything close, but I'm getting there.

You're in the North East aren't you?
:happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:07 pm »
Par 58! Wow, thats short. Where do you play, Pete?

Yup - all par 3's, two par 4's. It's a tough course located in central Northants. Don't be fooled by the par. Requires a superb short game as one green can have reasonable hold, the next will be a postage stamp compared and you have to land everything short of the pin. I know plenty of single handicappers who get there with the wrong attitude and shoot well over 65...

It's one of those courses, always has something up it's sleeve  :wink: 2's aren't uncommon, but neither are 6's or 7's out of the bunkers with very little sand. It's not a 'proper' course, but a good experience. I know it very well now and consistently play 9 holes under a card of 35. I'm not a low handicapper or anything close, but I'm getting there.

You're in the North East aren't you?
:happy2:

Sounds very interesting, would like to give it a go  :happy2:

Yea, I'm up in the newcastle area, just off the A1. This is my local http://www.hobsongolfclub.co.uk/main.aspx?id=13