Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 gti or Leon cupra?  (Read 11345 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Mk5 gti or Leon cupra?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:06:41 am »
I looked at a Cupra once. Couldn't walk properly after an 8 mile test drive. The ride is spine-crushing!

:confused:

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:13:18 am »
GTI looks better inside and out IMO! End of the day it's just down to personal taste though, or how much you can afford to spend.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:04 am »
I'm not sure if the Cupra like Mike's was available in 2005 when I bought my GTI but I like the Cupra a lot. Never got as far as test driving one but I like their styling - So much nicer than any Skoda IMO. I also checked out the Audi Sportback but no RS3 in those days and I find most Audi's a bit too bland for my taste.

My family have had a number of Volkswagens including a strange coloured Camper, white Mk1 GTI, red Mk2 Scirocco, and a red Mk4 Golf, and I like the long tradition of the brand. It's funny that my family didn't much like the Germans due to 4 years WW2 occupation and my uncle shot by a German firing squad for resistance work, but my father highly rated German vehicles. So I was kinda brought up with Volkswagens. I like the brand - It has history and status.

I was going to buy a Mk4 R32 but then Jeremy Clarkson presented the Mk5 GTI on Top Gear and the following day I arranged a test-drive which luckily was a whole morning (the salesman was an ex-karter and his brother races in the VW Cup, so fellow enthusiast etc). No looking back!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:19:46 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 11:13:59 am »
I test drove the cupra along with lots of other cars before buying the GTI. The biggest problem I found with the cupra was the seats. With the GTI you get lumber adjustment but with the cupra you don't. With the cupra i found the seats dug into my back so that was the end of that option. I did find it quicker than the GTI but not as enjoyable on the whole driving experience.
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 03:32:54 pm »
I looked at a Cupra once. Couldn't walk properly after an 8 mile test drive. The ride is spine-crushing!

I can't see why, suspension is the same as GTI  :surprised:

I really can't see how that can be true? I drove over 100 miles in a cup chassis'd, Recaro seated Renaultsport Clio with no issues, got in the (2007) Leon drove it up a dual carriageway for 4 miles and then around a roundabout and back again. When I got back it took me 2 or 3 minutes before I could stand up straight again. I swear I'm now an inch shorter than before I got in that car!!

Even if this hadn't have happened there were the other issues of the foul gearknob, the weirdly shaped steering wheel and the high windowline that made the car feel like you were trapped in a postbox. Went alright, though!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:34:50 pm by simonp »

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »
The main thing for me was I wanted DSG and the Cupra doesn't have that (as far as I could tell).

The other things were personal choices. I preferred the exterior and interior look of the GTI. Also have wanted to own a GTI since seeing the mk2 as a kid.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 04:27:49 pm »

Also have wanted to own a GTI since seeing the mk2 as a kid.

....That's a big pull - The tradition of the GTI. You are buying into a whole culture - A dream!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 10:21:58 pm »
The main thing for me was I wanted DSG and the Cupra doesn't have that (as far as I could tell).

The other things were personal choices. I preferred the exterior and interior look of the GTI. Also have wanted to own a GTI since seeing the mk2 as a kid.

I don't know how old you are mate, but I was exactly the same. My brother in law in Italy had a 1990 Mk2 GTi 16v and It was my dream car  :love:

I always wanted one, but when I could eventually afford one we were on the mk4 and I wasn't keen.  :ashamed:

I would have bought a mk2 but my OCD would have caused me to spend far to much on it. (main reason I won't buy an old camper)

When the mk5 came out I knew it would just be a matter of time before I had one.

Then in 2007 me and the misses (now ex-misses) bought a brand new Audi A3 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro S-line Sportback (what a mouthful) as she was doing quite a few motorway miles. So my GTi was once again a luxury we couldn't afford.

2008 me n the misses split = 2007 Golf GTi Ed30 for Me!!!  :jumpmove:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »

I don't know how old you are mate, but I was exactly the same. My brother in law in Italy had a 1990 Mk2 GTi 16v and It was my dream car  :love:

I always wanted one, but when I could eventually afford one we were on the mk4 and I wasn't keen.  :ashamed:

I would have bought a mk2 but my OCD would have caused me to spend far to much on it. (main reason I won't buy an old camper)

When the mk5 came out I knew it would just be a matter of time before I had one.

Then in 2007 me and the misses (now ex-misses) bought a brand new Audi A3 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro S-line Sportback (what a mouthful) as she was doing quite a few motorway miles. So my GTi was once again a luxury we couldn't afford.

2008 me n the misses split = 2007 Golf GTi Ed30 for Me!!!  :jumpmove:

I'm almost 29 now but was about 7 or 8 when I first remember seeing the Mk2 GTI (so would have been about 1990/91) and thinking I would love to drive that :happy2:

When I got my license the Mk5 was soon to be released. The Mk3 /4 didn't take my fancy really but when I first saw the Mk5 GTI I knew I would be owning that at some point. I was in a position to go for it a couple of years ago and so picked up my GTI in Dec 2010.

Still get excited driving it now :jumping:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline AndrewJB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
  • die gelbe Baron
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 02:09:17 am »
Not sure how many different Cupras are available?

I'm not too keen on them in standard clothes, but with the different spoilers, side skirts and bumpers they look amazing  :happy2:

Pre-Facelift
Leon Cupra
Leon Cupra K1 -Fitted with the "Aero" Kit, Different wheels and Centre exit exhaust

Facelift
Leon Cupra
Leon Cupra R - 265bhp and a few other changes

You can fit the "Aero" kit to any of the above cars but IMHO its well overdone
2014 Seat Leon Cupra 280 VWR Springs, VWR Intake, REVO Stage1
LeonOC.com & TDISport.com Administrator

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 06:17:37 am »
ED30 for me. Does everything you could want from a car. :driver:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:59 am »
If power is your think a k04 beats the ko3 all day. If its a rounded package you are after, and all out performance isnt top of the list get a GTI.

As for the Cupra suspension, yea it's crashy at times but it amuses me how people always complain about it so much. The TTRS is just as bad if not worse IMO and that subject never comes up for some reason. Must be something to do with the badge.

You will have to drive both and see what you prefer.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 06:42:50 pm »
If power is your think a k04 beats the ko3 all day. If its a rounded package you are after, and all out performance isnt top of the list get a GTI.

As for the Cupra suspension, yea it's crashy at times but it amuses me how people always complain about it so much. The TTRS is just as bad if not worse IMO and that subject never comes up for some reason. Must be something to do with the badge.

You will have to drive both and see what you prefer.

The Cupra and the TTRS / RS3 share oem top mouts, I never found the oem suspension too harsh to be honest (not that it stayed oem for long  :innocent:)

It's beyond me that people are saying the ride is spine crushing  :grin:

Offline Sug

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 07:39:27 pm »
When I was younger (I'm 33) my best mates dad bought a brand new mk3 yellow gti, with part yellow seats if I remember? I loved it and that car started me off, wasn't impressed with the mk4 so when I had enough money (will be a year next week) I got my 2008 edition 30. It's just the full package. Looks, performance, build quality, tuning capabilities and of course it puts  a smile on my face every time I turn the key
EDITION 30 GONE, MK6 R GONE........AUDI 8V S3.....Stock for now