Make a donation

Author Topic: Modified cars becoming illegal in 6 Weeks?????  (Read 9208 times)

Offline valle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Modified cars becoming illegal in 6 Weeks?????
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 06:27:46 pm »
We, here in Slovenia allready have something like this... All things that we put on car, bigger alloys, bumpers,coils,lights, needs TUV appproval.
For example: u got mk5 gti , and u buy , 19'alloys, u need TUV approval from a  firm that produces that alloys. And than u take car to technical inspection , so they can see that the alloys that u have on , are TUV approved for your car. Of course  u have to pay 32€ for 1 part .So, if u have , like me , bumpers,coils,alloys,twintake,down pipe, catback,side mirror blinkers, u do the math, how much i had to pay , so i can have ''modified''car.
And than we have a document of a car, and they writte down any modification that u made on the car , and that is TUV approved.
Also , we can't have , de-cat's on our cars.it's illegal...If police catches u, with any part, with no tuv, they take your license plates + 400€ ....so , it's crapy , yea. ( hope u understand my bad english )

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:39 pm »
^^^^
 I could see something along these lines happening in this counrty in the future as it is another way for the government to get even more money without banning or stopping modifications, thus securing those jobs in the industry. Would also crete many new jobs for pen pushes/admin staff and peeps with clip boards who inspect such things.

If I/we can afford the luxury of £500 for a map, £400 for a intake, £1000 on wheels blah blah blah what's an extra (for example) £20 free to have that modification approved? Might even save lives as I'm sure some mods carried out by chav' boy racer are not only aesthetically wrong but dangerous.

If that money raised were to go back into the transport coffers, happy days! (oh, and as long as these laws/regulations were not retrospective)

:popcornsoda:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:35:11 pm by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 08:01:50 pm »
^^^^
 I could see something along these lines happening in this counrty in the future as it is another way for the government to get even more money without banning or stopping modifications, thus securing those jobs in the industry. Would also crete many new jobs for pen pushes/admin staff and peeps with clip boards who inspect such things.

If I/we can afford the luxury of £500 for a map, £400 for a intake, £1000 on wheels blah blah blah what's an extra (for example) £20 free to have that modification approved? Might even save lives as I'm sure some mods carried out by chav' boy racer are not only aesthetically wrong but dangerous.

If that money raised were to go back into the transport coffers, happy days! (oh, and as long as these laws/regulations were not retrospective)

:popcornsoda:

might finally see the end of replica wheels, which would be nice imho
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:40 pm »
an extra (for example) £20 free to have that modification approved?
This is Britain we're talking about. Do you really think the Govt will charge just £20. Reckon it could easily be £100. Imagine then that more insurers start charging every time you ring up for a mod.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline OllieL

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 09:29:42 pm »
Wow

What about all the pre-TUV marked products?

I have 2 sets of BBS RS that are not TUV approved for use on any car, does that mean that they will be scrap?

Ollie

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 10:25:27 am »

"Lets just wipe out a multi billion pound business overnight in tax revenues

I can remember this w4nky government doing that exact thing years ago ! Ask the miners !
Basically a full industry wiped out in a few years ! So i wouldnt put it past them !
Lets face it that directive sounds great in principal 1/2 the number of road deaths etc etc, someone in a suit will read it and like it !! Not knowing a thing about the industry and effects it will have on peoples lifes, all they will see as robin says chaved up novas, and that will get rid of them ! This modified motors bit only makes up a few lines of an otherwords 23 page directive that i pretty much agree with, so IMO i wouldnt go thinking it wont happen it will  ! Just like the banning of HIDS just like the higher tax band ! Its just a matter of when and how far they go to en force it, i dont think it will be a full ban on all modifications i reccon with in the next 20 years modding wont be what it is today, bit by bit things are going to change !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 10:57:44 am »
The miners' strike in the 80s happened at a time when I was barely walking/talking/creating havoc, so I don't recall anything back then but I thought the issue with the mines was different. They were Govt-owned and were losing money so the Govt wanted to cut its losses.

The Govt doesn't own the modding industry but does make money from it via taxes, so this is a loss of revenue. The question would be "How much?".

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 11:25:06 am »
What I dont understand is how they can manage it, after all an exhaust (as long as it passes an MOT) is legal no matter what make it is, same with an intake as long as emissions are OK hows that going to be "Policed" and how are they to know what OE wheels are over all the model variants and factory options available.
Re-maps surely as long as emissions are OK would also not be affected, unless they are going to rolling road every car or do a diagnostic check on EVERY car on the road?.

Sound like a load of crap to me!
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 11:28:05 am »
If this goes live I'll show my arse in Burtons window.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »
I was just a nipper then too stealth, the point i was trying to make is that they will not hesitate to basically trash working class lives its the tory way !!!

How they would implement it, simple, your car is illegal if its on the road, it might pass an mot but if you crash it and your car has found to have parts that cause your car to be illegal you wont be insured, this = no money for your crashed possesion ! and a pay out for the others cars in the crash, by you probably ? If someone were to die in the crash then jail ?
If the police pulled you over and found mods that were illegal, crush your car ?
Getting your car through the mot will be easy, it will be the risk after that, that will ultimatly mean that the majority will revert to standard thats just some ways they could do it, there are hundereds of ways to do it though that are going to be simple enough !

Look at the way the uk seems to hate motorists now, all the sheet they have brought put in the last few years thats pi55ed us off !

Like i said though i wouldnt be worried about the near future though i, would imagine it would take years to bring in much like the car tax banding, back then there were rumors of 2k to tax an M3, things never end up as bad as they are made out to be
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »

I was just a nipper then too stealth, the point i was trying to make is that they will not hesitate to basically trash working class lives its the tory way !!!

....I think that this is about what authorities in some countries would like to do regarding roadworthiness, not about Tory Party or English politics.

Anyway, the Tories are not so stupid as to trash millions of tax paying worker's lives. It's much more peaceful and sensible to keep the populus comfortably numb.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 12:38:40 pm »

i'd like to point out that economic disparity between rich and poor has always been greatest during Labour rule. so quite clearly and demonstrably it would appear to be the Labour way.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:47 pm »
^^^^
I agree with you, sub39h, but if we start debating politics the thread will run forever and ever and not reach any agreement anyway. And it's off-topic [says he who is guilty of taking many a thread off-topic]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 07:02:35 pm »

How they would implement it, simple, your car is illegal if its on the road, If your car has an MOT, Insurance and Road Fund Licence (TAX) and you have a driving licence then your road legal.

Whether you have mods or not oif your car passes the UK road worthiness test (MOT) then its legal to drive on the road, I can understand some mods like nitrous or methanol injection etc but not an exhaust and intake  :signLOL:

It's all a load of balls

Look at the way the uk seems to hate motorists now, all the sheet they have brought put in the last few years thats pi55ed us off !

Apart from high fuel costs, high insurance, increasing car theft, I dont know what there is to complain about  :grin:, less speed/safety cameras cash cows these days tho  :happy2:

Like i said though i wouldnt be worried about the near future though i, would imagine it would take years to bring in much like the car tax banding, back then there were rumors of 2k to tax an M3, things never end up as bad as they are made out to be

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box