Make a donation

Author Topic: Can a rocco be a family car  (Read 3357 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Can a rocco be a family car
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 02:00:29 am »
1. find a local dealer that's running one as a demonstrator.
2. explain your situation and that you wanna try one for a couple of days.
3. see if it fits in with your lifestyle.

i suspect the above process will lead you to the conclusion that it isn't suitable, but people you've never met and have only spoken to over the internet are not going to be able to make a meaningful assessment of your own personal circumstances. on that basis i'd try it for yourself and see.

when i was growing up, my dad had a W126 500SEC and my mum a R107 300SL. the 300SL was the school run car until i was about 13! granted that was in a different era (my parents didn't use child seats for example) but my ultimate point is that you won't know unless you try it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:04:22 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 09:05:31 am »
i would say no, get an s3 sportback or 5dr mk 6 gti.

it will be ok for a bit but when they get heavier will be a pain plus more likely to damage the bodywork of the car getting them in and out.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 09:28:08 am »
Get a 5 door gti or get a passat r36 properly rare practical and the noise omg lol

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 11:36:14 am »
Get a 5 door gti or get a passat r36 properly rare practical and the noise omg lol

had a passat r36 up my behind on the m1 other week.  about 285bhp are they? as when car in front moved over i floored it and left it for dead until it caught up and i was not willing to go any faster than the spped at which i was already travelling i moved over into the middle lane to let it pass
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 11:56:06 am »
300bhp and heavier. a Stage 2+ Eddy would always leave one standing from a rollling start
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 12:28:43 pm »
How about a 2.0 TFSi Jetta? Loads of boot space for all the kids paraphernalia and 4 doors, along with all the joy of driving a GTi? I have one and love the huge boot, comes in very very handy. I know the general UK public don't like sedans, but as a family car, you can't go far wrong, plus the added security of being a four door where you can lock the boot out.

Please don't take this the wrong way but they're not for me. I much prefer the golf shape. I even thought about an A3 but still come back to the golf. There's my ideal one at Crewe but I'm in the north east so it's quite a treck. Might have to give them a call to see what kind of deal can be done over the phone. If nothing else at least I could rule it out as I keep getting drawn back to it

Don't let the distance put you off to find the car you want. I'm in Crewe and travelled to York to get my GTI  :smiley:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »

had a passat r36 up my behind on the m1 other week.  about 285bhp are they? as when car in front moved over i floored it and left it for dead until it caught up and i was not willing to go any faster than the spped at which i was already travelling i moved over into the middle lane to let it pass

Drove one when they first came out, lovely car, rare and only Passat I would buy if I could find one!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:09 pm »
Only slightly off-topic but certainly related: Don't you hate those family cars where the parents have attached a large "BABY ON BOARD" sign in the window? Surely we should all drive with the same due care and attention whoever our passengers are or if driving alone?

When my son was a baby, I had a 2-door BMW coupe, my daughter was 4yo and we all fitted into the car without any problems - Even my ex wife who wasn't one of those rare females who can travel light. However, after my divorce proceedings had eventually ended (a waste of money and 2 years) and I was going to buy a 3-dr Mk5 GTI, it was my then 14yo daughter who urged me to go for the 5-dr. But I think that was for the convenience of my duty as 'Dad-the-Taxi' to her and her friends.

@ the OP: You already have a Mk5 GTI 5-dr - Why change it?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »
Good question RR. I change my cars quite regular. Ive had this one 4 years now fancied a bit of a change I'm in no hurry as I cannot fault it. I was just looking a couple of weeks ago and got to thinking about a change. Like I say if it's not the 'ideal' car then the mk5 will be staying

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 10:37:32 pm »
Don't you hate those family cars where the parents have attached a large "BABY ON BOARD" sign in the window?

I used to abhor those as well. Then I read somewhere that they're useful for the emergency services in the event of an accident. Lets the crews know to be careful if cutting the car open that an infant/child may be in the car.
'07 Red manual

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 12:06:49 am »
On topic - get 5 doors. It's just not worth the hassle

Off topic - In theory it highlights to emergency services someone on board is a) small and b) may not be able to get out of their seat on their own.    Also it warns you the driver in front may be randommly subjected to loud noises, flying cuddly toys and demands for chocolate and you should navigate round said vehicle with due care and attention.