Make a donation

Author Topic: Forum Rolling Road day Pictures Thread  (Read 25404 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Forum Rolling Road day Pictures Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 01:20:28 pm »
^^^^
Damn! Where was I when this group pic was taken!?

Having your daily siesta?  :signLOL: :P

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2009, 01:33:54 pm »
The figures were certainly interesting...  The Maha Rolling Road has a very good reputation as being one of the best around.  While the front wheel drive cars registered very optimistic figures, the output figures for the two R32s was spot on.  I wonder if the algorithm used to calculate bhp at the flywheel from bhp at the wheel is geared towards 4wd cars instead of two... or maybe the method to calculate 4wd power is more accurate?  My (wife's  :wink:) standard R32 achieved 247 and 248 bhp on its run and this is exactly what VW quote as standard - 250ps.  Rupos R32 got 267bhp with his Shrick Cams and Milltek exhaust, which again is very realistic.  For the record, JKMs dyno dynamics calculated my Ed30 bhp as 227bhp which is the same as the 230ps quoted by VW.  I think Hedge's Stage 1 Bluefin Ed30 recorded 278bhp on the JKM rollers (incidentally exactly the same as my Revo Stage 1 Ed30) while he recorded around 318bhp yesterday?!  As far as FWD figures are concerned, I reckon the JKM figures are probably more representative of the actual power being made, but I hope I'm wrong  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: 

The best test of assessing the figures is to take the car down to the 1/4 mile strip and compare the performance against other cars, but again, even here, other factors come into play such as driver skill, mods such as the Quaife, tyres etc...

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2009, 01:54:09 pm »
Some awesome pics there guys. Looks like a fantastic turnout. Well done Nousey!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2009, 02:18:34 pm »
The figures were certainly interesting...  The Maha Rolling Road has a very good reputation as being one of the best around.  While the front wheel drive cars registered very optimistic figures, the output figures for the two R32s was spot on.  I wonder if the algorithm used to calculate bhp at the flywheel from bhp at the wheel is geared towards 4wd cars instead of two... or maybe the method to calculate 4wd power is more accurate?  My (wife's  :wink:) standard R32 achieved 247 and 248 bhp on its run and this is exactly what VW quote as standard - 250ps.  Rupos R32 got 267bhp with his Shrick Cams and Milltek exhaust, which again is very realistic.  For the record, JKMs dyno dynamics calculated my Ed30 bhp as 227bhp which is the same as the 230ps quoted by VW.  I think Hedge's Stage 1 Bluefin Ed30 recorded 278bhp on the JKM rollers (incidentally exactly the same as my Revo Stage 1 Ed30) while he recorded around 318bhp yesterday?!  As far as FWD figures are concerned, I reckon the JKM figures are probably more representative of the actual power being made, but I hope I'm wrong  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: 

The best test of assessing the figures is to take the car down to the 1/4 mile strip and compare the performance against other cars, but again, even here, other factors come into play such as driver skill, mods such as the Quaife, tyres etc...
My main queery was that Superchips were taking intake temperatures from inside the cars rather then under the bonnet.

This was pointed out to me whilst they were being tested.

That would give incorrect ambiant temps.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:06:21 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2009, 03:35:21 pm »
as long as a std car was there too , you can get a 'relative' comparison.
thats the best you should do at any rolling road..

....Very true, and Chris (WhiteGTI) answers this, I believe : -

I think the standard GTI's ran anything from 215hp - 235hp.

The standard K04 cars ran around 250hp - 262hp

My main queery was that Superchips were taking intake temperatures from inside the cars rather then under the bonnet.

This was pointed out to me whilst they were being tested.

That would give incorrect ambiant temps.

....Very good point, Phil.

It was a great meet but with a difference of as much as over 30 bhp, I ain't impressed. Dare I say that it's in Superchips interest to be 'optimistic' in their plotted results when their main (only?) business is selling remaps.

Isn't James from Superchips a forum member? Perhaps he would like to answer some of our concerns.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Photos From SuperChip meet 6/06/09
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2009, 05:51:12 pm »

Really nice to meet you, Richi! And thanks for that great pic of me greeting everyone in my usual way :evilgrin:

Glad you made it and met quite a few people - It makes a big difference.

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 07:11:33 pm »
Robin,

I just like to say, it was worth every penny in fuel to come down.

I think its great to meet/talk people who are enthusiast in the same cars. Everyone was verrry friendly :drinking:

Robin - great to meet you too  :happy2:  - i love the car  :wink:

---

p.s - who was i following on the way back M1 North bound - a silver GTi.  We kinda raced.. but obviously he wooped my arse  :grin: :grin:
I knew the outcome anyway, was just good to see how far i am behind the acceleration of a modded GTi

~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Rich

• Thank You
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 07:22:16 pm »
Ohhh - incase any of you wondered what was in my right ear - im slightly partially deaf on that side, and i wear a really small aid - impossible to see really  :smiley:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2009, 07:30:25 pm »

It was a great meet but with a difference of as much as over 30 bhp, I ain't impressed. Dare I say that it's in Superchips interest to be 'optimistic' in their plotted results when their main (only?) business is selling remaps.

I would have thought that too if the R32s hadn't been dyno'd, as both me and Chungster were laughing at the incredulous figures all day.  It certainly crossed my cynical mind that Superchips had deliberately set-up the rolling road to show optimistic figures.  However, given the fact that the Maha RR was very accurate in reading the R32 4WD power, it may be an issue with the RR rather than Superchips... I am ignorant as to how the RR is calibrated - whether this is done from factory, or whether an operator can recalibrate - but knowing this would answer a few questions I have in my mind.  :happy2: 

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2009, 07:41:42 pm »
Also, bear in mind, that it wasn't just superchipped cars being read high, so thats that theory out of the window.

Otherwise they'd be showing rival maps to be far better than others etc.
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 12:09:40 am »
who was i following on the way back M1 North bound - a silver GTi.  We kinda raced.. but obviously he wooped my arse  :grin: :grin:
I knew the outcome anyway, was just good to see how far i am behind the acceleration of a modded GTi

You know who it was Rich :laugh: :wink:

I daren't put my foot down too much as I did once when the M3 was behind me :innocent:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2009, 12:12:03 am »
The interesting part of the RR was the 15bhp I get from simply having the DSG remap. :happy2:

Even if it was reading 10% over it is 13.5bhp. 8)
Golf R gone.

Offline Rich

• Thank You
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2009, 06:08:47 pm »
Hurdy !!!

YES - i was like omfg - ur car was sooo fast !!!!

when i saw this M3 come up... i kept saying " Come on Hurdy - show him whos boss " :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Then a ferrari 360 came up... but too much traffic so u couldnt race.

Just lovely though - did u whoop that M3 ? - i couldnt see :drool: :drool:

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2009, 06:13:01 pm »
OK all, I did a little bit of filming on Saturday - not a huge amount as the weather was crap. I've just had a chance to dump the footage from my camera onto my mac and have not edited it at all but thought I would get something up on here. Please don't moan about the quality of the edit - it has not been edited, just sequenced. SteveP - have crossed posted in the other RR thread delete one of them if you like.

Robin - the ending was just for you  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2009, 07:30:48 pm »
good work dom, very nice! ;)