Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 R or wait for Mk7 GTI  (Read 8163 times)

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
Mk6 R or wait for Mk7 GTI
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »
Hmmm... how long do you think it will be until they release the mk7 GTI ?  When is the mk7 actually available to order?

so tempted with a 135i but really want something I can keep a few years and not sure the 135 would be one to keep....

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: Mk6 R or wait for Mk7 GTI
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:47:25 pm »
Drive a 135i, then when you have bought one and carried out a few mods try and find a car that you desire more in this price range.

Offline Andy947

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:11:14 pm »
Hold out for the MK7, and keep your finger crossed they build Carbon GTI 

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:38:00 pm »
get 135i bmw is in league of its own! straight of the box would be better than any modded VAG can ever be.... Unless you look for practicality than forget bmw!

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:13:49 am »

Or wait for the Mk7 GTi & R to come out and pick up an R for about 15K. The current values are still very high, but I'd wager they'll lose 40-50% in the next 2 years.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:39:19 am »
get 135i bmw is in league of its own! straight of the box would be better than any modded VAG can ever be.... Unless you look for practicality than forget bmw!

Paul

Better trade in r8 v10 and 0-62 in 2.8 sec TTRS for 135i's if that's the case!

h4rdy

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:10:55 am »

Paul

Wasn't the best thought out statement was it.

VAG doesn't just start and end at the 2.0tfsi.

Poverty you never even mentioned RS6's and should we now include Porsche in the VAG stable?

Bugatti, Lambo should I go on?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:51:25 am by h4rdy »

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:54:33 am »

Paul

Poverty you never even mentioned RS6's and should we now include Porsche in the VAG stable?

Well, they are all owned by VAG! What else do BMW have in the stable? Oh yes that's right, just fake mini's! :grin:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:05:41 am »
Hold out for the Golf R hitting 15K in another 18 months, like quite a few others on here, thats probably when I will be getting one  :happy2:

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 11:52:51 am »
The GTI will be 18 months or so?

Just get what you want, let the GTI's prices settle from the initial rush and enjoy what you have in the mean time.

Having had various VAGs and a 135i, call me biased or whatever - it really is a great car out of the box.  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:39 pm »

Paul

Guys, I was also more considering price ranges and what you get!

Of course we can all dream of labos etc but that was not the point

Paul

Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 12:52:05 pm »
GolfR is awesome.

New one will be on the new sportier chassis.

135i is awesome too but I'm willing to bet on a average British day in average British roads with the average driver a golf R will be quicker than a 135i on the twisties.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »
GolfR is awesome.

135i is awesome too but I'm willing to bet on a average British day in average British roads with the average driver a golf R will be quicker than a 135i on the twisties.

that's possible but does it matter at all??

I think VW is overpriced to what you're getting. By the time you spec the R you're in BMW territory and VW is average band vs premium one and this should not happen

Paul

R32UK

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 01:17:46 pm »
GolfR is awesome.

that's possible but does it matter at all??

I think VW is overpriced to what you're getting. By the time you spec the R you're in BMW territory and VW is average band vs premium one and this should not happen

Paul

Have to agree.. we all like VW's but BMW is way ahead of the game here. FWD hatch v RWD hatch??? Is there really any competiton when the golf starts by being 100bhp down??

Even if we compare the golf r.... which we know is a s3 really. its not going to get into the 135i territory for fun or outright speed

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 01:21:19 pm »
GolfR is awesome.

That's down to driver confidence, rather than the car's ability.

VAG are very good at making safe feeling cars that flatter the driver, so anyone can get in one and instantly give it Billy big balls and go tentenths.

Thats good and hilarious fun, but what are you learning?

I'm about 90% confident in my car, it still has the ability to scare me and get the adrenalin going, but it really rewards if you're prepared to stay committed. Having driven a stock Golf R, I know I'd be significantly faster in a 135i in anything but rain. It has 50:50 weight distribution and is unaffected by torque steer. Haldex is clever, but not Subaru/Evo clever, its trump card seems to be 0-60 straight line launches and exiting wet roundabouts, otherwise it's just dead weight being dragged about.

Drag time pub bingo and going fast in the rain is not on my list of wants when buying a new car.

There seems to be a perception that RWD has no grip, in the dry it has way more than FWD and HaldexAWD. In the wet yeah sure, it'll be overwhelmed by power, but then so is FWD - the only difference is the enevitible entering of that hedge being forwards or backwards.

VAGs are great cars, I've had a few and really enjoyed them, I dare say I may have another at some point - but you can't beat RWD and that's why I've gone back to it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:26:20 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!