Make a donation

Author Topic: Best option for me for lowering  (Read 4137 times)

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Best option for me for lowering
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:03:39 pm »
Right, this is a subject that comes up time and time again but it's normally for GTI's or GT TDI etc as this is obviously a GTI forum but I find it the clearest, easiest and friendliest forum for mk5 golfs around.

I have a 1.6 match fsi due to insurance as I'm only 19 but following this forum modifying becomes very addictive. So one of the cosmetic mods I have done is upgraded to original R32 zolders and I am very happy with how they look!! Now I've just renewed my insurance with a mod friendly one and have declared a susspension mod as it was next on my list.

Now, I have very little money as saving for a new car and obviously I've just paid my insurance! So would you guys recommend the ebiach sportline springs or another alternative? I have no idea what I'm after, all I'm aware of is my stuts are 50mm as a pose to your 55mm

Any information would be extremely appreciated?

Thank you in advance!!

Jack

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Best option for me for lowering
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:19:10 pm »
all depends on how much you want to drop the car

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »
Your struts are 50 mm. Have a look on your front brake calipers. You'll notice a "FSIII" on them.
That's the proof for 50 mm struts.  :wink:

I'd get a Bilstein B12 Pro suspension kit. The stock dampers are way too soft for Sportline springs.
If you really need to slam your car get the Bilstein B12 Sportline, but the Sportline springs are too
low to keep reasonable ride comfort.

Eibach make the springs for the kit, Bilstein makes the dampers. Nice kind of joint venture.  :happy2:

Also keep in mind there are Mk.V- and MkVI versions of both. For a good ride choose Mk.VI B12 Pro,
if you wanna go low get a Mk.V B12 Sportline.

Why? Mk.V Bilstein dampers are stiffer than Mk.VI Bilsteins. The stiffer Mk.V ones do handle the short
(= stiff) Sportline springs better, the softer Mk.VII Bilsteins offer an amazing good ride.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:46:57 am »
all depends on how much you want to drop the car

Just want the wheels to sit nicely in the arches. I'm not looking for slammed just improved look!

Your struts are 50 mm. Have a look on your front brake calipers. You'll notice a "FSIII" on them.
That's the proof for 50 mm struts.  :wink:

I'd get a Bilstein B12 Pro suspension kit. The stock dampers are way too soft for Sportline springs.
If you really need to slam your car get the Bilstein B12 Sportline, but the Sportline springs are too

Eibach make the springs for the kit, Bilstein makes the dampers. Nice kind of joint venture.  :happy2:

Also keep in mind there are Mk.V- and MkVI versions of both. For a good ride choose Mk.VI B12 Pro,

Why? Mk.V Bilstein dampers are stiffer than Mk.VI Bilsteins. The stiffer Mk.V ones do handle the short
(= stiff) Sportline springs better, the softer Mk.VII Bilsteins offer an amazing good ride.

I shall have a look! Do they make the mk6 with 50mm struts?

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:50:33 am »
That's the proof for 50 mm struts.  :wink:

Eibach make the springs for the kit, Bilstein makes the dampers. Nice kind of joint venture.  :happy2:

I shall have a look! Do they make the mk6 with 50mm struts?

[/quote]

Ok, I can't actually afford them  :scared:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »
Then save some money to get them. It's worth it.
You'll almost never need another set of dampers for this car.

Offline Daisy:

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:53:16 pm »
I love a low car.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk..

Offline Marko1982

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 07:52:54 pm »
+1 for the blistering b12 kit, I had one fitted to my mk4 gti and the quality was superb. I will be having another set for my mk5 in the coming months

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »
I have H&R springs on mine. They drop the GTI by 30mm which is a good drop IMO

Your part numbers will probably be different and i'm guessing it will drop by 40-50mm.

Mine:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51126.0.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:17:57 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 05:18:31 pm »
When you sAy my dampers are too soft can you please explain what this means and what it will do to my car?

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:48:45 pm »
What do a car's dampers?  :wink:

They 'dampen' the suspension (wheel + body) motion by converting motion energy
into thermal energy. They act like a brake.

The stiffer the springs the more energy is forced into your suspension and the more
energy need to be coverted into heat. That's why you need uprated (stiffer) dampers.

Sportier cars almost always do come from factory with both stiffer springs + dampers
compared to lesser models.
For example the GTI comes with stiffer springs, dampers and sway bars compared to
your Golf Match.
Even Golf Mk.V Sportline and GT/GT Sport (which have some kind of sport suspension)
don't are as stiff as a GTI or a R32.

If the dampers don't match the spring stiffness the car will hop and be bouncy. If stock
Golf Match dampers are paired with aftermarket springs it will surely be very annoying.

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »
Just a thought but as its only a 1.6 so handling at high speeds and as your still young ride comfort isn't to much of on issue just get some £160 eBay coilovers and go as low as you want
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 05:02:01 pm »
Why doesn't a 1.6 need to be as safe as a more expensive Golf?
Even just 100 BHP is more than enough to be way too fast.

A B12 surely doesn't make a granny car.  :smiley:

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 05:35:45 pm »
Just a thought but as its only a 1.6 so handling at high speeds and as your still young ride comfort isn't to much of on issue just get some £160 eBay coilovers and go as low as you want

Wouldnt the quality be shocking? And as below, even if its only 115bhp it doesnt restrict the speed you drive it at on the road! And I still want the comfort of a golf, that's part of the reason I bought it! I know you will compromise that with lowering but I still expect more than a go-kart!

Why doesn't a 1.6 need to be as safe as a more expensive Golf?
Even just 100 BHP is more than enough to be way too fast.

A B12 surely doesn't make a granny car.  :smiley:

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 05:42:48 pm »
Cheap coilovers handle well enought on the road used on many of my cars in the past, the ride shld be fine of you don't want to go super low,eg taking the helper springs out  :happy2:
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.