Make a donation

Author Topic: Why have a bonnet bra?  (Read 3978 times)

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
Why have a bonnet bra?
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »
Don't mean to cause any offence to anyone that has one, but I have been wondering what the point of a bonnet bra is? Is it just to protect against stone chips or is there some other reason? Just wondered why anyone would want one!  I see them on cars now and then and I think they look pretty ugly. If it's just for stone chips, then I'd rather not have one and  touch up a few chips than permanently have a weird looking car.
 I'm not trying to wind anyone up, I'm genuinely curious about it. If there's some other good reason for them that I'm unaware of, I'd love to know!

'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Facebook
    • Email
Re: Why have a bonnet bra?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »
Don't mean to cause any offence to anyone that has one, but I have been wondering what the point of a bonnet bra is? Is it just to protect against stone chips or is there some other reason? Just wondered why anyone would want one!  I see them on cars now and then and I think they look pretty ugly. If it's just for stone chips, then I'd rather not have one and  touch up a few chips than permanently have a weird looking car.
 I'm not trying to wind anyone up, I'm genuinely curious about it. If there's some other good reason for them that I'm unaware of, I'd love to know!

Tend to agree.  Whilst I respect someone who wants to keep their pride and joy in the best possible condition, I think they look absolutely ridiculous.
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.

Saintsteve

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:04:45 pm »
Stonechips..pure and simple. Touch up stick on your bonnet eventually makes your car look like its been filled with the wrong colour touch up pen..awfull when the rest of he bonnet is all polished up and full of them. Especially on certain colours.

As bra's go, they are great , as you can just unclip them in less than 5 seconds....... Abit like other things in life with abit of practice  :signLOL:

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »
 :grin:  Thanks Steve, that's fair enough. Everyone has different tastes, it makes things interesting!
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 04:10:39 pm »
I wear my bra whenever i remember i have it... or am doing a long journey. As i got my bonnet resprayed at VW. I can't afford £300 every time it looks ugly  :signLOL: My bonnet was F*cked.... Hence the bra

And the touch up stick never quite matches

Offline Rhys_Gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 04:17:46 pm »
ive been thinking about it after the car goes in for a re spray but has anyone had any issues where dirt build up starts to mark a line on the bonnet.  if that makes any sense just ive been told dirt can quickly build up under the edge on the bonnet and start to leave marks on the bonnet also?

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:18:22 pm »
I used to use one when I had my Euro Bonnet on the car, but only for motorway trips where stones would be more risk.

I know a lad who used one over winter, to protect from stones etc, and infact grit had got down the back of it and been rattled around under the bra scratching it anyway.

Saintsteve

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »
I used to use one when I had my Euro Bonnet on the car, but only for motorway trips where stones would be more risk.

I know a lad who used one over winter, to protect from stones etc, and infact grit had got down the back of it and been rattled around under the bra scratching it anyway.

As with anything with a hood, it's important to check under the rim and keep it clean  :wink:     :sick:

:signLOL:

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:27 pm »
Well i would only put on a clean car :) and I had one on my clio 1.2.... it was red and faded the bonnet. Pretty sure it was because the bra had previously been on a rusy bonnet. Nevertheless. Watch out  :evilgrin:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 04:54:27 pm »
In my experience, they are more harm than good. Dont get me wrong there was a time when i used them, but after some investigation, the marks they leave were just as ugly as the chips they prevented.

Oh and i had a stone chip my bonnet with it on anyway, through the material.

Oh and i was very careful with making sure i put it on only when the car was clean. I didnt use it in the wet and i didnt use it for extended periods.

Offline Rhys_Gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 05:03:34 pm »
all good point cheers, second thoughts now maybe!

scottm72

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »
i thought about it also but agree with first comment that it looks a bit silly, and no matter how carefull you are little stone chips will get under there,,, you cant stop that and you know whats going to happen then dont you - yep continuos scratching until it comes off or falls out.
touch up pen is all we can do and maybe if the car is worth it a bonnet respray every 3 years or so.
plus i think it will discolour the bonnet after a while with the continuos sun on only one part,,, that would be a nightmare as it would also effect where the bra wraps around the car, not to mention the different salt / dirt effects of different areas covered and not covered.
hope this helps

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 05:42:27 pm »
I think they look hideous but have recently bought one. The reason being as mentioned above, i dont have the cash to keep splashing out on resprays. However i do only use it on motorway journeys. As soon as im at my destination its removed.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:19:38 pm »
^^^^ exactly the same as me, they serves a purpose  :happy2:

Thinking about getting one of the ones that covers the entire front (after the front of the car is resprayed) but they look so terrible I will resist but as soon as I see ONE SINGLE stone chip I'm getting one and I don't care what anyone says!

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 07:19:33 pm »
I'm afraid that I think that bonnet bra's look awful. Although I understand why folks want them, I have heard stories of problems from getting grit etc under them and as Saintly Steve so eloquently says, cleaning under the hood regularly is important.

Most bonnet chips happen from following other vehicles too closely. I make a point of keeping a distance so that I can see their wing mirrors (so I know they can see me) and the count of four. I have very few chips on my bonnet and as it's painted carbonfibre and won't rust, it doesn't bother me.

Another alternative to a bonnet bra is getting your frontal areas of bodywork wrapped in a special clear film - I forget what it's called but it's not cheap.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!