Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Recommendations  (Read 17204 times)

Offline hunter

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Tyre Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 01:02:32 pm »
hi i got 4x 225 40 18 falken fk452 from camskill cheaper than any local and they were quite a good tyre. running 19 budges the now not recomended,there like plastic lol

scottm72

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 04:27:29 pm »
Only road tyre i will consider is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport after i've had them in 19".
They are now in 18" 225-40, but only in loadindex 88. I would still only consider them. They are above the rest  :happy2:
thants what i have on the car just now in 18s and i am finding them noisy

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 04:33:45 pm »
It's all about the GY Eagle F1 Assy 2's  :P
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.

Offline Northerner

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »
Federal RS-R's are worth a look. I've got them as a wet tyre on my mini track car, they provide good grip and seem to be relatively quiet.

Well, as quiet as a tyre can be alongside @100db of exhaust noise  :mad:

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 07:31:04 pm »
There are loads to recommend. Every ones views are interesting, im sure that if you go for flagship Goodyears or Michelins etc you wont go far wrong. I have Michelin PS3's and love them in every condition and every type of driving. They last as well. I know people with continentals and even though they are a good tyre they just dont last.

Cheers

Offline AnilS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »
Uniroyal Rainsport 2. Excellent and better than the Vreds and Contis I've had. Won't break the bank either.  :happy2:

Offline Bryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 06:23:33 pm »
I'm another fan of the Goodyear Eagle F1 asy2
Best all round tyre I have have ever used
Forge Twintake. BCSautomotive turbo back exhaust with sports cat. Stage 2 remap. R32 rear lights and bumper. Team heko wind deflectors. mtec bulbs. Ed30 bbs wheels.  Eibach springs. Goodyear Eagle F1 asy2s. NQSBBK(330mm)

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »
I run Parada spec 2's .. love them. maybe not the best tyre in the wet but i never drive fast in the wet anyway.  :grin:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 06:48:15 pm »
It's all about the GY Eagle F1 Assy 2's  :P

X2 best tyres I've ever bought  :notworthy:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 06:49:20 pm »
I run Parada spec 2's .. love them. maybe not the best tyre in the wet but i never drive fast in the wet anyway.  :grin:

Always wondered about these... I'd like some based on looks alone, they're meant to be brilliant in the dry, but how bad are they in the wet, if you take it steady, should you have any issues? Don;t want the car swapping ends going round a corner lol

Also I can only find in 92w, is this what you run?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »
I've just fitted Conti Sport Contact 5p tyres to my new rims in 225/35/19.  Very please so far done about a 1000 miles on them and they ride the bumps well for an Ultra low profile tyre, noise levels are good too.
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 07:21:06 pm »
I run Parada spec 2's .. love them. maybe not the best tyre in the wet but i never drive fast in the wet anyway.  :grin:

Always wondered about these... I'd like some based on looks alone, they're meant to be brilliant in the dry, but how bad are they in the wet, if you take it steady, should you have any issues? Don;t want the car swapping ends going round a corner lol

Also I can only find in 92w, is this what you run?

yeh i run 92w

They are the best tyres i have owned in the dry they are unbeatable unless you go for track/road tyre (to much wear to run as a daily car)  In the wet they have never failed me . . . No tyre is good in the wet imo some are better than others but will never be "good" . I never drive fast in the wet , i don't drive slow just not as fast as i would . 370bhp fwd in the wet on any tyre is alot to ask .. they are the perfect tyres for me. Owned 2 sets now and when i need new ones it will be these. People may disagree with what i am saying but a tyre is a personal prefrence to whom drives the car , these are just my personal prefrence  :happy2:

Offline S77VJP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 08:15:39 am »
As said in previous post, Uniroyal Rainsport 2s are brilliant especially in wet :)

Steve

Offline Andy_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47:39 am »
What about toyo T1R or T1S ?

I was going to get the T1R but now I am not sure
 :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 09:08:20 am »
7 years ago my Mk5 GTI came from the factory with Continentals, which I believe are German and doubtless Volkswagen have a deal/contract with Continental to supply.

Most tyre experts say that different tyres will suit different cars or vehicles - Not individual cars but models. So for example, a Vredestein Sessanta might suit a FWD Golf but not a RWD BMW (I don't know that example to be the case by the way).

Unless we experience particular problems which pitch us off into the hedge, most modern tyres from the established manufacturers do their job adequately and until we have experienced particular tyres it's all relative. The only tyres I have experienced on my Mk5 GTI are Continentals, Bridgestone Potenza's, Goodyear F1 Eagle Directionals, Goodyear Asymmetric 1's, Dunlop Sports Maxx, and Goodyear Asymmetric 2's. The Continentals of 7 years ago are nothing like as good as either of the Goodyear's and I am inclined to think that an asymmetric tread makes a big difference - especially in the wet.

A few folks here have tried Vredestein Sessanta asymmetrics and reported being happy with them apart from needing to get warm, but they don't seem to have sold like hot cakes. They are a bit more expensive I think.

Factors influencing which tyres we buy are (not in order of importance):

- Performance (handling) in both wet and dry cos it now rains a lot in the UK.
- Road noise.
- Tread and rubber eye-candy < Yes, it has been researched and found to be true.
- Price.

The only contact a car has with the road is 4 small patches of rubber which are about the size of a CD disk each. So to buy any tyre just because it's the cheapest and which doesn't maximise your safety is, how can I say it without offending someone, stupid.

I have no hesitation in recommending Goodyear Asymmetrics and then it's just a case of finding the cheapest source and making sure they aren't versions manufactured outside the official factories.

^ The green caps are because my tyres are filled with nitrogen.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!