Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket reversing camera  (Read 10186 times)

MPS

Aftermarket reversing camera
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:45:52 pm »
Anyone fitted one of these? Look pretty good, a damn sight cheaper than the flip out badge cam as well. It fits in one of the numberplate light holes.

You can get wireless versions as well - pretty daft though because there's as much wire as the wired versions lol.

Can't go wrong for £14 surely? The only thing is you need a video out on your radio, of which only some variants of the RCD-510 have.

[ebay]251035963563[/ebay]

Offline pitsirikas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Aftermarket reversing camera
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »
"......The order will be shipped by Hong Kong Post Air Mail......"

Don't drive faster than your angel can fly..!
                Respect a man's car and the man will respect you

scottm72

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:48:38 pm »
"......The order will be shipped by Hong Kong Post Air Mail......"

forget it, no chance, absolutelly will not work, dude common £14 and you expect it to work,,,, :embarrassed:

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:58:30 pm »
They do work, but expect to buy a new one every year or so. For the price I can live with that.

Does annoy me a little that the protruding camera blocks a bit of light output on the number plate.
I bought an LED white canbus festoon for the other unit so the colour output is the same.

They're not perfect but don't leave any permenant cuts/marks on the car and if you have a HU geared for it, then why not have one?
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:58:45 pm »
Easier just to look over your shoulder....

scottm72

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »
£14,,, na wont work or as said before may do for a while on poor quality then stop working,,,,, up to you dude but most things on e-bay from china costing little money is junk,, personally i am off to vw soon to get them to supply and fit dealer sensors and wire it into a new 510 unit,,, good price they gave me too

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 10:52:07 pm »
I think its one of those things that everyone is unsure of, I dont like the look of them patruding, followed a car the other day wsith somthing similar fitted I wondered what the hell it was at first. But I think for £14 its not bad and maybe worth trying.  :drinking: :evilgrin:

scottm72

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:56 pm »
I think its one of those things that everyone is unsure of, I dont like the look of them patruding, followed a car the other day wsith somthing similar fitted I wondered what the hell it was at first. But I think for £14 its not bad and maybe worth trying.  :drinking: :evilgrin:
i remember the first one of these i seen on a car, i actually thought the guys bulb was hanging out but at £14 not much to loose i guess

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:25:07 pm »
With a CCD not CMOS you'd actually be amazed how good the picture is for the money even in the dark, more so when a properly insulated video cable is used with it and not the length of spaghetti that comes with it.

Can't slate it for being Chinese...most goods are these days! I've had these types of cameras for four years so believe me, they do work. Not once has it failed to come on when reverse is engaged.
If you look at the spec of most aftermarket cameras. they are using the exact same camera lens prety much.

The reason I replace mine now and again is cos they are so close to the road that sometimes a stone cracks the perspex, & £14 is expensive if you shop around  :grin:

If I had an OEM HU I'd probably have the boot handle one, but can't be f'd trying to interface it with my Zenec HU when I know this already has the wiring in place.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:05:05 am »
Give it a go, for £14 it's disposable so if it does not work it's no biggy. Looks sh*te quality but if it works, it's a win for you.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »
Iv given it a go. Its only £14 at the end of the day!! Il report back once it arrives!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

scottm72

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 07:58:42 pm »
Give it a go, for £14 it's disposable so if it does not work it's no biggy. Looks sh*te quality but if it works, it's a win for you.

:happy2:
yeah man i will second that, prob sh*te quality but we will all shurrup if it works well dude and prob be asking you for the link lol  :happy2:

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 11:57:16 pm »
Anyone going for these cameras with aftermarket audio in the car, I recommend you get a video cable such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-RCA-Phono-Digital-Audio-Composite-Video-Professional-Quality-for-Home-Cinema-/230862407159?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c078c5f7 to cut down on interference.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the cable that comes with it is as thick as spaghetti and not well shielded.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »
Anyone going for these cameras with aftermarket audio in the car, I recommend you get a video cable such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-RCA-Phono-Digital-Audio-Composite-Video-Professional-Quality-for-Home-Cinema-/230862407159?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c078c5f7 to cut down on interference.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the cable that comes with it is as thick as spaghetti and not well shielded.

Cheers

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »
Does the RCD/RNS support NTSC?
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.