Make a donation

Author Topic: Detailing Kit + Products  (Read 1320 times)

Offline TheBIGJAYY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 9
Detailing Kit + Products
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:42:58 pm »
Hey Guys,

you have probs seen a number of these kinds of posts.

i have done my fair bit of research, looking on various sites on guides etc etc.

one thing i have noticed that there is a minefield of various different tools, equipment and products out there for us all to get our hands on. another thing i have noticed is that a lot of people say different polishes, sealants, glazes + waxes have different effects on different cars / paintwork / colours.

so the dealio is, i have ordered me a 3M rotary polisher which comes with a small backing plate (iv read this is the best size to go for best results) i have a very swirled, scratched reflex silver mk5 golf which i would like to turn around to having spotless paintwork.

now i already have a small list of items i feel i will need to kit myself out to do a good job on my first attempt:-

-clay bar
-2x new buckets
-lamb wool mit
-detailer tape (the blue stuff)
-cutting/polishing pads (advice on how many / what types ill need please)
-cutting polish, sealent, glaze, wax (any1 experienced detailing a reflex silver golf and any ideas on what products to go for?)

as you can see my list is only quite small.

The equipment i already have pretty much just consists of auto glym shampoo, auto glym alloy cleaner and a small brush for alloys. i used to use a sponge but i binned that at the weekend after reading a lamb wool mit is the way forward! i did the two bucket wash method but have also binned the buckets as they where pretty grim so decided i need new ones.

in a nut shell i am wanting to tidy my paintwork up, i would like to polish my lights as they have a few swirl marks + scratches on also, get the black trim back to a deep black. i also have a number of scratches on my windscreen where the previous owner was obviously a bit lax with changing his wiper blade. not a massive issue but i would like to get all my glass polished + clear as possible. also wanting to give the engine bay a good clean which tbh, doesnt look like its ever seen water or any form of cleaning agent in its life!!

any advice on products etc to use on certain areas would be greatly appreciated!

Rainford Accounting Services
Tel. 07875505637
Email. jrainfordmaat@gmail.com

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Detailing Kit + Products
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:14:59 pm »
Welcome to detailing -  the multitude of products/recommendations just shows that everybody has a fave preference. The same product might be easy for one person to use, difficult for another, great finish for someone else and poor finish for a fourth person.

Your list is only small because you're only going so far into detailing. You could add: snowfoam lance + snowfoam, pressure washer, drying towels, tar remover, iron fallout remover, detailing brushes, trim dressing, tyre dressing, wheel sealant, glass cleaner, wheel arch brush, wheel arch dressing....you can see it just goes on and on and on.

This is why I ordinarily recommend getting the car done professionally first and learning how to maintain it. There's no point going to the effort of polishing the car if you're just going to cause paintwork damage through poor wash technique. If you're adamant on doing the whole thing yourself, set aside some time for it - maybe 2-3 days with the car stored in a garage and not used during that period. If you try polishing outside, you risk dust and grit being rubbed into the paintwork. If you drive the car, you either risk the same or would have to wash and clean each time.

With polishes, I'd say just go for a sample set of polishes and pads which should give you an idea of what to use. I've posted guides on DW on polishing. You also need to think about a panel wipe, dilute IPA or something like Eraser to clean away the polish and see what you're doing. I'd add a swirl spotting torch is necessary.

I would either go with just sealant, or glaze + wax. Again, something that's subjective - ask a hundred people and get a hundred answers. Depends on budget since some waxes can go for thousands of pounds.

You can polish the headlights same as the paintwork. Glass - you'd be looking at something that contains cerium oxide and not something I'd recommend for beginners.

Finally, I'd recommend getting a scrap panel to practice your polishing technique on first. I'd argue this is even more applicable with a rotary polisher.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline TheBIGJAYY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »
 :happy2: brilliant response mate thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post.

i will be getting a snowfoam lane + snowfoam for my pressure washer i already have. i will also be going down to my local detailers shop to get various items of equipment in the way of drying towels, detailing brushes and wheel arch brushes.

as anyone does when they are starting out with detailing i will start with some of the basics and work up to having a full range of detailing equipment  :party: i would go and buy all the equipment at once but i dont have spare dosh to fork out for all the gear and plus i figured this whole thing is going to be a large learning curve in the way of cleaning and taking care of my pride and joy  :smiley:

i have read your write ups on DW with regards to polishing and read a number of other guides too. thankfully i know a few guys in the detailing trade who may be willing to help me on my first go and i know a guy who owns a large unit which he has agreed to letting me use and store my car in over night as i intend to have a go over a weekend.

i will be sourcing me a practice panel to get used to how the rotary polisher works as i have seen some horrifying pictures of what can go wrong if you use the wrong pads/polishes and dont know what your doing! (which i dont so it scared me  :grin: )

the reason im wanting to have a go at this myself is because im wanting to hopefully start doing it as a small self employed business (which i dont intend to start until i am fully confident with what i am doing which will probs be in a year or two) and its something that i have always been interested in but never had a nice enough car to go to so much effort and spend so much money to maintain the paintwork and the rest of the vehicle. but now i do so now is a good time to start i guess!  :smiley:

once again thank you greatly for your reply. very informative  :happy2:

Josh

Tel. 07875505637

Offline keith

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:11:45 am »
I have a new foam lance for sale if your interested. Got some foam to.

Offline ConorF

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:17:36 am »
Got mine done professionally, in the process of maintaing it, now after christmas im going to do it myself. Good shout!

Offline TheBIGJAYY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:53 am »
I have a new foam lance for sale if your interested. Got some foam to.

does this fit onto any pressure washer? ill have to check what make and model mine is as its not a fantastic one!

Tel. 07875505637