Make a donation

Author Topic: where will vw put my parking sensors ?  (Read 10439 times)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Re: where will vw put my parking sensors ?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »
that is a lot, i'm not charging enough

Got that right Ed. When you see what some of these guys are charging, it's crazy. If I charged that, then perhaps I could actually make a living, lol.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 12:43:50 pm »

They fit in the top section on the bumper so yes they should really be painted

....Mine were supplied and fitted aftersales by my VW dealer. I was advised not to paint them by my trusted VW bodyshop as it can risk their functionality.

Obviously if your car is black you definitely have no need to paint them but I like the look of them in black anyway.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 12:49:13 pm »
It's fine to paint them Robin, I paint all the sensors I fit and have had no issues with any of them. The factory fitted sensors come painted too. the problem comes in when the person painting them get's too heavy handed with the paint and put's too many layers on or the paint on too thick.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 01:07:53 pm »
If you want to save a bit of money,instead of ordering 1K0054630B get the kit Zgb000052296 instead,contents as far as i can see are indentical apart from you get it in a plain white box with no instructions which you can get online anyway,will save about £80.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »
As Ed pointed out, that is not an OEM kit as such, it does not integrate with the car electronics in any way shape or form. If you're going to go that route, there are better and cheaper options out there.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »

It's fine to paint them Robin, I paint all the sensors I fit and have had no issues with any of them. The factory fitted sensors come painted too. the problem comes in when the person painting them get's too heavy handed with the paint and put's too many layers on or the paint on too thick.

....I was just flagging that there is a risk and especially from a DIYer.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Shabba168

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 07:42:46 pm »
There is a couple of kits out there that can integrate with Canbus and stereo depending what u have fitted.
They also do them flush fit so they are stuck on from the rear in my opinion they look better and more oem

scottm72

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 08:36:05 pm »

They fit in the top section on the bumper so yes they should really be painted

....Mine were supplied and fitted aftersales by my VW dealer. I was advised not to paint them by my trusted VW bodyshop as it can risk their functionality.

Obviously if your car is black you definitely have no need to paint them but I like the look of them in black anyway.
thanks red, i see your point, my vw says i should get them painted and tbh the fact there was no cost difference in there quotes and also the fact they will be professionally done i decided to take the painted option.
your sensors look very cool actually, really suit the colour of the car actually.
the dealer did show me exactly how the sensors will look as i did ask him regarding the problem about them not being flush with the bodywork but he showed me on a polo parked right next to mine and told me it will be the same and tbh it looked pretty good.
i am speaking to eddie just now as i may be able to go down the route of a camera instead as not much more expensive and he says he can supply for around £350, just checking quality etc with him just now,,,, also bearing in mind i am getting golfman to install the 510, sharkfin, k05 etc possibly he can do this fitting at the same time for around £60 or so,,, fingers crossed.
i think having the rear view camera integrated into the boot handle would be better than sensors alone but thats assuming it is actually possible on the mk5 and is not a pig to fit,,,, will let you know how i get on.
one things for sure though, it is still an expensive job getting this 510 in with all the other things like the aerial, cables, k05, camera, plus install cost,,, looking at around £1500,,,, expensive job,,, nice system but expensive,,,, checked with my insurance company today and found the audio level to be set at £1000 for theft, so although i wont get any receipt etc from eddie i will take pictures of finsihed product incase it ever gets nicked,,,, if so all they would prob take is the head unit so £1k is ok,,,,, good thing to bare in mind though as my last insurance company had £250 audio limit
cheers guys

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »
Ive got them on mine , the dealer fit ones , theres a little speaker added to the plastic peice at the side of the parcel shelf where the sound comes out of - I thought they would be using the stereo speakers. If it was up to me I'd not have them as I think they look a bit rubbish but since they were already on my car I didnt have a choice! They do work though , and I did reverse into something twice in my other GTI so they might save me money!  :happy2:
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »
if Scott is fitting the 510 i would go the camera route

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 09:58:05 pm »
^^^^ was just writing the same thing. Seems a lot for sensors, not a lot more for RVC so no need for sensors.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

scottm72

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »
yeah think you are right guys, going with the camera from eddie assuming golfman can fit it,,, dont want to give him to much to do on a one day visit,,, poor guy has a lot to do now,
install 510, install shark aeriel, 5m cable, k05 kit, some ecu programming and now a bl**dy camera lol,,, i better pm him just now and take him lots of coffee  :drinking:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 11:29:37 pm »
take Scot 5 mins to to that lot :signLOL:

scottm72

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 12:51:22 am »
take Scot 5 mins to to that lot :signLOL:
will wait to see what scott says,,,, would like to have a tv receiver function on the 510 but not sure if thats possible or would require a seperate unit,
does anyone have this ability on theirs ? and if so do you know costs etc.
imm assuming the headline will have to completelly come off for the cables on the units going in as im sure scott said it doesnt have to come off completelly ?
will wait for his reply and when the fitting etc is all done i will post some pics,,
had a look at eddies steering wheel,,,,, nice,,,,, maybe later will get one,,,,, man scott is gonna freak out at all these parts lol :innocent: