Make a donation

Author Topic: Hi Everyone - Introduction of my Shadow Blue 5 Dr GTi  (Read 2634 times)

Offline M5 London

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Hi Everyone - Introduction of my Shadow Blue 5 Dr GTi
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:34:43 am »
So I have been on here for over a year now and I thought it was time to say hi !!  :pomppomp:

Anyway I bought this lovely GTi back in October '11.  Drove about 3 other ones for sale before going for this one !

Its for my girlfriend really, but I do enjoy it every time I take her for a spin.

If I remember correctly I bought it with about 49,000 miles (55 plate).  Full VAG History with all recalls (namely Coil Packs and ECU update)  Last service being carried out at 47,000 miles in August 2010.  2 owners previous owners (last owner owner hardly drover her).  

Shadow Blue, 5 door, DSG, NAV, Leather, Winter Pack etc etc.  Just what I thought would work for the lady.   :innocent:

In the first few months I replaced :

Oil, Filter and Sump Bolt
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Diverter Valve
PCV Valve and associated hoses
Pollen Filter
(All VW parts of course)

Bosch Wiper Blades

DSG Oil Service at VW

4 wheel alignment.  

So in the last 12 months she has done about 6,000 miles, trouble free of course !  My girlfriend loves it too !  She tells me how it makes mince meat of other cars at the lights and almost any road situation.....(I remapped it too  :evilgrin:)

Last Friday I thought hey, it was due for a major service and Cambelt change so got it done at VW Monaco, in London along with water pump.  (more on that later ...the last time I let a main dealer touch any of my cars was way back in 2003)  I must admit it was a job well done though !  

The main reason I let them have a go was as the car is mint with full VAG history, why not give it a go at keeping it dealer stamped up... :confused:

A few radom pics :

I really love this car.  Ever since I saw the 'singing in the rain' advert on the TV back in circa 05, I thought I need one of these.  I love big engined cars and was struggling to see how I could fit one into my life, and when my girlfriend got a job requiring a car, I just jumped at it, and there was NO other alternative !

I am a big time car fanatic like most of you I reckon.  My daily driver is a circa 700 HP BMW M5 (labour of love), and I have recently got my Rallye Golf out of storage (owned since 1997) and bringing that upto perfection slowly.  Also have a Corrado parked up in storage, amongst a few other rides.  I had my first GTi (1992 MK 2 GTi 16V way back in 1994) and have loved golfs since I was about 8 years old..... :laugh:

I have learned a lot about the MK5 from you lot on here ! Thanks ever so much !
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:05:03 am by M5 London »
Golf GTI MK5 DSG - Great Car !
Golf Rallye
Corrado 16V
BMW E39 M5 - Supercharged - Pretty Good too !
MB SL500
Lexus LS400

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Hi Everyone - Introduction of my Shadow Blue 5 Dr GTi
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:41:56 am »
A Warm Welcome to the forum!  :drinking:

Shadow Blue is a smart colour and also rare as VW stopped offering it early on in the Mk5's production.

Here's another GTI advert I'm sure both you and your girlfriend will love:

Tut-tut on traffic lights grand prix though - Learn how to drive fast on the open road, not in urban environments.

Supercharged 700 bhp M5!!  :notworthy:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:59:27 am »
A shadow blue 5 door - a thing of rare beauty!

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen a shadow blue GTI, but they do look great!

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:23:43 am »
Welcome to the shadow blue club haha nice car
My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:59:06 am »
More on the M5 please!!!  :party: :party: :party: :party:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:12:26 pm »
Welcome to the exclusive shadow blue club haha nice car

I'm sure that's what you meant to say  :wink:

Nice looking car. Welcome to the forum.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum  :happy2:

Great to see a few more shadow blues on here  :congrats:

Just one thing - get some Autosol from Halfrauds for those tail pipes   :ashamed:

@ Robin - mines a 57 reg Shadow Blue so I don't think VW did drop it early on (it's also available on the MK6). I think your confusing Shadown Blue and Laser Blue (like Nodz's)  :wink:

Graeme
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline M5 London

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 12:01:34 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone !!!  :drinking:

Yes and agreed the Shadow Blue does look really nice indeed, especially when the car is clean.  I have seen a few driving around and they sort of stand out in my mind.

There are a few cosmetic bits and pieces to be done, like the alloys need refurbishing mainly due to white worm...There is a small dent high up on the tailgate, and yes the tailpipes have seen better days.  So I'll try that Autosol that GRAY recommends.

Red Robin : I'll tell my girlfriend to take it easy and cheers for the Video !  :happy2:

A bit about my M5 : After doing some really heavy preventative maintenance, essentially changing every wear item that one could possibly imagine (mainly mechanical) I mean its mechanically at Concourse level (if there is such a thing), I started modding it big time, but my objective has always been to pretty much keep it looking as standard as possible and be able to be totally civil in Central London traffic, which it does admirably.

It has a Vortech V3Si Supercharger (only running at about 9 psi), with a custom map and runs Alpha N, Bosch Green Giant Injectors, Aquamist Water/Meth Injection (2 pre Plenum and 1 pre Charger and a boot mounted 2.5 Gal tank), Aeromotive Stealth 340 LPH fuel pump, Custom made CCV setup with a Ford Cobra Pump which starts sucking all the badness out when I hit 2 psi of boost, custom made 4-1 Manifolds, no Resonator, but standard Back Boxes (on occasions, some people have confirmed they have seen 4 X 3 Ft flames blasting out of them ;)), Bilstein B8 Sprint Dampers with Intrax Springs (not up for full on coilovers, but may go for it at some point) Dinan adjustable rear ARB, Stoptech 355 mm 4 Pots up front with Yellow Stuff pads all round.....I am sure there a few more mods but that's all I can remember after some G&Ts :)  

In terms of straight line speed its pretty quick !  Leaves a standard 2010 GTR/997 Turbo/R8 V10/F430 and pretty much everything else in a drag from about 80 mph onwards.  Below 80 mph I can spin up the tyres in a straight line in the dry even in 3rd.  For the future I have a spare block that will get Sleeved, and cylinder heads that will get reworked and once done I'll slap on a Vortech V7YSi charger and go for about double the boost and may end up at about 850 + HP.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:06:00 am by M5 London »
Golf Rallye
Corrado 16V
MB SL500
Lexus LS400

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 01:40:08 am »
^^^^
Talking about supercharged Beemers, have you seen this vid?"

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 08:13:13 am »
Welcome along.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline M5 London

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 12:49:22 pm »
^^^^
Talking about supercharged Beemers, have you seen this vid?"

Yes seen this one. 

Coincidentally the chap in the interview is Nik Saran of VF Engineering.  He was pretty big into tuning UK VW's in the late '90s, early 2000's.  Nik Saran Racing.
Golf Rallye
Corrado 16V
MB SL500
Lexus LS400