Make a donation

Author Topic: inner tail light mod  (Read 14368 times)

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: inner tail light mod
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2012, 05:05:39 pm »
Sockets came, not had time to do anything with them yet, but I think it's promising.

I'm also going for the w5w/t10 fillament bulb inners. Do I need 5watt or 3watt W5W/T10 bulbs? And 'normal' or 'red' ones?
I bought 4 small t10 sockets (about the same as yours). I'm going to solder the wiring onto the sockets (onto the little contact-lips you see on the sockets).
They are 'twist-and-lock' sockets, so I only have to drill 12mm holes and make two notches in each hole with a dremel.
Tried a experimental setup (drilled a 12mm hole in a plastic plate and made two notches in the hole) and the twist and lock mechanism works perfect!
The sockets are only 8mm's high, so guess they will fit in the small space behing the inner tail lights (if not, I can easily shave off a little of the plastic holder/gripe)

Sockets:

I've removed the rear lid trim, but how to route the wiring from the inner tail lights to the license plate lights? (So I can connect them and disable the cold startup diagnostics with vagcom for the licenseplate lamps)
Is there a how-to for the wiring?

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2012, 05:17:02 pm »
I have those sockets in the picture, never got any further on this and think I will bin the mod as I don't think it could ever look 'right' (the filaments give a great glow but the two bright spots stick out too much for my liking).

Buy yourself red filaments not white - you get a bit of light escaping around the centre circles, thus with red ones it looks better. 3W ones look ok but 5W ones give better 360 coverage.

I had my boot panel off last week for something else, I guess you'd run it up the tailgate panels, through the rubber boot and down behind the rear quarter upper panels down to the light cluster area.
If you can't find the number plate wiring in the boot then you'll be better removing the lower \___/ panel and behind it you'll see a grommet to poke through wires.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:38 am »
Dont give up were so close. :sad1:
Only reason mine has been put on hold for a bit is the birth of my baby boy but i will be getting this finished and working as soon as i can.

Plus this kit will look hell of a lot more OE than the LED version in the other thread due to the led light being to direct.

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »
How about the 'heat' and the height/build in depth for filament bulbs (when using sockets)?
Nothing melts?

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2012, 04:33:06 pm »
Guys!!!-> How did you (the persons who use incandescent bulbs) fit them into the housings?
Mine are way to deep, so they hit the inner 'reflector'.
I'm stuck....

Look at my pics: