Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 2.0 GT TDI  (Read 1100 times)

Nasir

MK5 2.0 GT TDI
« on: October 29, 2012, 09:32:17 am »
Hi, sold my car a while back and now looking for the above. I'm a little put off by the porous head issues. The car I'm looking at has 125K on the clock on an 04 plate. Was just serviced by VW. Is there a recall on the porous heads? Would this issue have come up by this mileage?

A very far cry from the MK2 GTI I was thinking of, but I couldn't do it, especially coming up to winter.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:11:04 am by Nasir »

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: MK5 2.0 GT TDI
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:41:07 am »
I'd be more concerned with the ABS pump (G201), turbo and DMF problems as they are more likely to need dealt with first.
Had mine since 2008 and no porous block issue. I guess the issue wouldn't necessarily be with the mileage but the manufacturing fault that causes the block to leak, so dare I say even a 30k mileage car might be just as likely.

It's actually in the For Sale section although should be off the drive tomorrow night.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Nasir

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:11:43 am »
I'm not too concerned about the ABS pump, I had a MK5 for 4 years and that was fine. I'm worried about having the head rebuilt, and the turbo. Hopefully both have been done in its time. Good shout on the DMF, how do I know if that's going? Juddering from setting off?

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:25:58 am »
Yeh a bit of warbling on setoff & excessive judder.
When I took my DMF out it was actually fine, just the clutch friction material had run right down, but either way factor in a clutch & flywheel if either needed doing.

Also the other problem of the minute is the bubbling front arches.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:21:07 pm »
Nasir, sorry I haven't replied to yor PM yet. I haven't had any problems with a porous cylinder head with my TDI and it is just shy of 100,000 miles. I know of one other person on here who has had it, I think his was at 75k miles or thereabouts. It's not really an mileage related issue. I have heard of a few turbo's going pop altho mine has been putting out 180 bhp for the last 17000 miles and it's as strong as ever. Most turbo's on the 2.0 TDI seem to whistle/whine a little. Once you get used to hearing it you can notice it on a lot of other car as well (BMW, Audi new generation, etc).

Clutches, are also luck of the draw I think. A friend of mine has clutch/DMF issues and his car was only putting out 165bhp, it's bee back to standard for a good few months due to this clutch issue.

Will PM you, Nasir, about the car.  :happy2:

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:19:54 pm »
Currently own a 2005 2.0 TDi with 97k on the clock and can't fault it. I travel >90 miles a day most of which are motorway it is brilliant. There is a slight amount of turbo whine but the car is 7 years old on the original turbo so it is to be expected but having driven a few BKD engine 2.0 TDi Jetta and Golf i can honestly say they all sound about the same. If the turbo sounds like a siren just walk away!

Main issues
Porous Head - can be a problem but isn't THAT widespread just make sure you check the coolant/oil and if possible get a garage to do a sniff test before you buy it
Turbo - If there is a constant high pitch whine or if it sounds like a siren walk away. Expect some whining but it will be obvious if the turbo is on the way out.
DMF - If there is pulsing, rattling from cold which disappears when the clutch is depressed of vibration through the clutch pedal then the DMF could need replacing. Budget £600-£900 depending of type
Hot start issue - This is where the engine starts fine when cold but will take a bit longer to start when the engine is up to temperature. I changed the starter motor on mine last weekend at a cost of £200 Bosch unit.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:09:39 pm »
Thanks for the replies. The issues are just as I thought. Although not as bad as I thought. I have the reg number so I'm going to call VW to see what work has been done to the car and what the last service report was. They were really helpful when I rang last time.

Nasir

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:11:33 pm »
Nasir, sorry I haven't replied to yor PM yet. I haven't had any problems with a porous cylinder head with my TDI and it is just shy of 100,000 miles. I know of one other person on here who has had it, I think his was at 75k miles or thereabouts. It's not really an mileage related issue. I have heard of a few turbo's going pop altho mine has been putting out 180 bhp for the last 17000 miles and it's as strong as ever. Most turbo's on the 2.0 TDI seem to whistle/whine a little. Once you get used to hearing it you can notice it on a lot of other car as well (BMW, Audi new generation, etc).

Clutches, are also luck of the draw I think. A friend of mine has clutch/DMF issues and his car was only putting out 165bhp, it's bee back to standard for a good few months due to this clutch issue.

Will PM you, Nasir, about the car.  :happy2:

I would know if the clutch is on the way out by it slipping? And generally feeling weak?

That'd be great  :happy2: