Make a donation

Author Topic: USB Encryption..... confused!  (Read 1565 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
USB Encryption..... confused!
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:46 pm »
Hi All

I would really appreciate some advice.....

I want to be able to run an encrypted USB stick on a work computer, but my Sandisk drive will not work, due limitations preventing the software from running.

After a search, it seems I need 'on the fly' encryption. Do you think there is a good chance this would work? Any suggestions on USB drives with it, or just the software for purchase?

Very grateful for any advice, thanks!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:50:58 pm by GE90 »

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
Re: USB Encryption..... confused!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »
Assuming you are talking about using it on Windows

Try Rohos Mini Drive, the free version limits you to 2GB, but you might get stuck without Admin rights on a Windows 7 PC

http://www.rohos.com/products/rohos-mini-drive/

Use Rohos Mini drive on your own PC to set it up and Rohos Mini Drive Portable to access it

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:31:04 pm »
I have a client who needed a couple of USB stick with hardware encryption - I got them a couple of these

http://www.kingston.com/en/usb/personal_business#dtlpg2

Kingston Datatraveller Locker+ G2, plug in and run through the setup to set the password - job done.  no software to install.

Offline oo1005

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:23:01 am »
Look at safestick http://www.getsafestick.com/support/faq/ I used to work with the product manager, totally reliable and you don't need any admin rights, not the cheapest but one of the most secure solutions.
'07 GTi 5dr Black, Monza IIs, Xenon

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 03:38:33 pm »
Hi All

I would really appreciate some advice.....

I want to be able to run an encrypted USB stick on a work computer, but my Sandisk drive will to work, due limitations preventing the software from running.

After a search, it seems I need 'on the fly' encryption. Do you think there is a good chance this would work? Any suggestions on USB drives with it, or just the software for purchase?

Very grateful for any advice, thanks!

Why not speak to your IT department?

We block all USB devices via McAfee DLP, and only allow Kingston DLP encrypted devices once a user has been added to the necessary group in Active Directory.

We procure the equipment if necessary for our users and they can justify their need for the kit.

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 04:47:24 pm »
Thanks for all of your replies.

I have tried the trial Rohos software, but had to format the USB stick first to remove the Sandisk program. All seemed good on home computer, but getting a ‘drive needs formatting’ message on the work PC!

I had a look at the Kingston drives, but they don’t seem to do a 64GB.

I have found that the Sony Mini Vault comes in 64GB, and on reading the info, it seems the software is what I am looking for (on the fly, hardware encryption, no admin rights required). What do we think – as I don’t want to make an expensive mistake:

http://www.sony.net/Products/memorycard/en_us/easylock/index.html

Spoken to our IT department, our department has no budget to purchase, certainly not at £220+ a shot!

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:51:20 pm by GE90 »

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:46:34 pm »
Anyone have any thoughts on this drive, and whether it is likely to work on a PC with software download (.exe run) restrictions (USB items permitted)?

Thanks very much.

Offline eddy_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:03:24 pm »
it all kind of depends on what rights your IT department have given you  :fighting2:

If they've made you a local administrator of your computer then you can install and run software on it, which means you can install an encryption client on there.
Might be worth asking them if they will install the client for you, then they don;t have to give you the rights.

On the other hand, they might be worried about why you want to encrypt stuff? are you leaving, what of their secrets are you taking?
Any decent IT department should be asking those sorts of questions..

as for the actual USB drive, you're better off just buying something that is the size you want, but with the read/write speeds you want, probably make sure its USB 3 compatible so it'll last, and then use some fo the free software to encrypt it.

'08 Edition 30, DSG, Revo Stg 2+, DSG Stage 2 map, Milltek TBE,  Autotech HPFP internals, Forge DV, ITG CAI, front mounted machine guns, Porsche NQSBBK, SuperPro Antilift, H&R Rear ARB, retro fit armrest mdi, boot pop, Forge Twintercooler (cheeky little red hoses)..
VCDS-HEX+CAN

up next.. Wavetrak LSD and a front ARB

Offline oo1005

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 07:21:26 pm »
One thing I'll say about DLP (device control is the actual removable device part) and ePO is its very expensive and takes a lot to setup and monitor, but it is very powerful and tuneable..
'07 GTi 5dr Black, Monza IIs, Xenon

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 05:07:54 pm »
On the subject of USB Memory stick encryption. I have a memory stick i would like to encrypt a memory stick but be able to access it on both my work laptop running Windows 7 and my MBP running OSX 10.8.2, is there a free or relatively cheap software encryption allowing available for multiple platforms?
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline eddy_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »
try this...

http://www.truecrypt.org/

give the beginners guide a good read as you need to install it in a certain way to make it usable across both platforms..
'08 Edition 30, DSG, Revo Stg 2+, DSG Stage 2 map, Milltek TBE,  Autotech HPFP internals, Forge DV, ITG CAI, front mounted machine guns, Porsche NQSBBK, SuperPro Antilift, H&R Rear ARB, retro fit armrest mdi, boot pop, Forge Twintercooler (cheeky little red hoses)..
VCDS-HEX+CAN

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:29:13 pm »
try this...

http://www.truecrypt.org/

give the beginners guide a good read as you need to install it in a certain way to make it usable across both platforms..

Good find. Howver, I cannot find any reference to installing so it can be opened on different computers......?

Thanks

Offline eddy_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:36:01 am »
on the FAQ page on the website..

Will I be able to mount my TrueCrypt volume (container) on any computer?

Yes, TrueCrypt volumes are independent of the operating system. You will be able to mount your TrueCrypt volume on any computer on which you can run TrueCrypt (see also the question 'Can I use TrueCrypt on Windows if I do not have administrator privileges?').

:happy2:
VCDS-HEX+CAN