Make a donation

Author Topic: Some advice required !  (Read 954 times)

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Some advice required !
« on: November 03, 2012, 01:00:40 pm »
Hey folks,
Just spent the morning at VW trying to troubleshoot an annoying squeal !

the best I could get out of the VW tech's was the following , It makes no real sense to me so I hope someone here can understand !

" I would hazard a guess at the Changeover Valve which is on the bulkhead , which controls the EGR valve , Turbo Vacuum and Throttle Valve as well as others"

I asked the question and what would be the cost of replacing said changeover valve and got told a couple of hundred quid !

Also
yes there's an also !

They mentioned the following too !

"Both front lower arm rear bushes worn and starting to split, slight movement in nsf lower arm front bush" They quoted £419.14 for that to be done ! Which seemed excessive

Any thoughts on any of the above would be very appreciated !

John
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: Some advice required !
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 01:47:17 pm »
When do you get the squeal? 2.0tdi is it?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 01:47:23 pm »
With the bushes most of the price will be for labour at VW
Try and find a good Indy to do the bushes, you could probably get ploybushes and fitting for less than the quote from VW

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:06:34 pm »
When do you get the squeal? 2.0tdi is it?

Yep , its the '04 Mk5 2.0 16v TDI , just a shade over 90k on the clock.  Squeal is very intermittent, its hard to bring it on but once its going can pretty much sustain it if you have some throttle control, can happen in any gear, more when cold but also can be just as bad when warm.

In terms of troubleshooting ive had the Cam belt and timing belt done , changed the alternator belt , and now the alternator pulley itself. There is no drop in performance at all, even when squealing.

With the bushes most of the price will be for labour at VW
Try and find a good Indy to do the bushes, you could probably get ploybushes and fitting for less than the quote from VW

I have no idea what im looking at when it comes to these, not quite sure I even understand half the terms lol (IT Nerd not a mechanic : )
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE