Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie needing HELP with oil spray in engine bay! (now with pictures)  (Read 818 times)

Offline ANDYGTIMK5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Hi Guys,

Browsed the forum for a while and finally taken the plunge and signed up!

Unfortunately its because im in need of some help. Took my Mk5 gti in today to have its major service and cambelt change, this all went ok. When I went to pick the car up the dealer informed me that whilst carrying out the service they had noticed the front of the engine/engine bay had been coated in an oily spray. The dealer suggested that it could be a "boost pipe" leak but they weren't sure and with the work costing £200 and possibly not rectifying the problem i duly passed and said i would come back to them. The area the oil appears to be leaking from is around the oil cooler on the front of the engine, is this common? Theres a lot of different pipes in this area so it could be anything as there is literally oil all around this area including over the fan which has obviously sprayed the oil everywhere. It looks as though oil has been leaking from the area for a while as there little fresh oil, although the cars not leaking anything onto the ground.

I've included some photos below. You can see the right radiator fan in the bottom left of the first photo to give some perspective, its looking directly down the front of the engine. The second photo is taken just above the oil cooler looking towards the block:

Please can you help guys, thanks in advance!

Oh and the cars an 08 GTI DSG with 70k on it!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:14:00 pm by ANDYGTIMK5 »

Offline ANDYGTIMK5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Newbie needing HELP with oil spray in engine bay! (now with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 05:52:23 pm »
Anyone? Took another picture today in the daylight.

Please can someone help!

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Re: Newbie needing HELP with oil spray in engine bay! (now with pictures)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »
Best bet is to degrease and clean everything then run the car and have a look where the oil is coming from