Make a donation

Author Topic: Whats envolved in a 3rd service for The Gti??  (Read 10525 times)

Phil Mcavity

Whats envolved in a 3rd service for The Gti??
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:05 am »
Ok phylis is going in for 3rd service wednesday, and shes just over 2 years old now. The dealership have quoted £250 all in (inc Vat) to do the work.

Question is whats do they do in the 3rd year service, Do they just lift the bonnet and spray wd40 over it or do they do things like spark plug and brake fluid change aswell?

thanks Peeps :drinking:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:01:35 am by Phil Mcavity »

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Whats envolved in a 2nd service for The Gti??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:58:20 am »
brake fluid will probably be an extra and i would have thought they would change the plugs

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Golf GT Sport TDi - called Gordon
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:34:26 pm »
Is it 20,000 service or longlife?

If its 20 000 mile service it will be, oil and filter, pollen filter, and full inspection.

Brake fluid is a seperate vost, but yes, due every 2 years.

At the price youve been quoted, id expect that to be a longlife service.. but then labour costs are different...

Spark plugs arent due change till 40,000 or 4 years..
".. in the process of learning the vw service trade!"

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »
cheers caz and Jay  :drinking:, phylis was serviced 10k ago in october last year, so told service rep, shes on 32k, 3rd service, just over 2 years old, and he said no more then £250 all in . So fingers crossed that includes brake fluid change aswell.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:02:00 am by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:57:15 pm »
ok, im confused...
your car is 2 years old.. and its having its second service..

what servicing are you set too?

if its set to t&d then you should be on your 30 000 mile service..

if its longlife then yeah it may be your second service...  :confused:

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 01:00:40 pm »
If its 20 000 mile service it will be, oil and filter, pollen filter, and full inspection.

I had the above done @ 16,500 for the cars second service (2 year old milestone). Cost me £80! (I know a VW mech, so he did it as a weekend job - service book is still stamped as usual).

He told me not to bother with brake fluid change and to wait till year 3. Shame he's moved to Skoda now  :sad1:

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 01:06:43 pm »
My Ed 30 first service was done recently whilst I waited .... but they said the second service is longer as it involves a brake fluid change ..... so I think it's safe to say it is done every 2 years  :smiley:

As to what else they do I have no idea - other than he said forget waiting next year and book it in for the day !

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 02:12:00 pm »
vehicle reg from 2008 are due first brake fluid change after 3 years, and then every 2 years there after..  :smiley:

second services do take longer, normally tell cusotmers it be 2 hrs, then 40minutes more for brake fluid.  :smiley:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 02:16:19 pm »
well at least its good news its gonna have someone actually service it rather then shake a wet rag at it and charge the earth. Fingers crossed she doesnt come back damaged like my 2nd service. :mad:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:02:43 am by Phil Mcavity »

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 11:24:20 am »
Can anyone shed light on what they actually do on this annual service, im abit shocked tbh, that apart from the oil and engine filter, they have only changed and replaced 2 items, and with no sign of a braker fluid change either, and billed £228 for the privaledge. 2hours labour to drain and refill the oil and replace a pollen filter!!!.Thats 25/30 minutes work!!. Seems like its a well it works and not like preventative maintance like in my days as an Engineer.

Can anyone who works for VW shed light on exactly whats done to the car for a 2 year old car that this was its 3rd service!!

They couldnt fix my MFD display with Nav issues cus no one that worked there was clued up enough to attempt it. They only Master Tech was off sick!! (colin)

Thanks  :smiley:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:26:16 am by Phil Mcavity »

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:27:33 am »
The vast majority of that cost will be labour!  :angry015:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 11:29:25 am »
£95 labour charge. So in 2 hours work, looking at things Visually looks expensive, rather then 30 minutes of actually using tools to remove/service stuff and charging me for it.

£86 in parts of which £64 was oil !!!, a sump plug, a pollen filter, and another filter which i hope for their sake theyve not thrown away my green cotton filter cus theyve replaced another filter for around £9 but not sure if thats the air filter?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:36:34 am by Phil Mcavity »

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 11:59:06 am »
oil filter  :confused:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:15 pm »

All you have to do, Phil, is have a chat with your dealer's service manager. I'm sure you'll find that the costs will be fully explained and justified.

It's not really a subject which is open for your opinion about how little it should cost and your inferrence that you are being ripped off. Also, having such a negative attitude isn't going to earn you any favours, matey.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 05:31:24 pm »
having such a negative attitude isn't going to earn you any favours, matey.

Robin, the service manager i have had 1st dealings with already with regards to my damaged alloy, so all im asking is if anyone knows within VW as there are a few people on this forum, that know more then i do, i thought this forum was open for potentially answering someones question is it not??.

All im saying is Vw should take up the approach of writing what they have actually done ,rather then a list of part numbers and no description of what these parts are!. Perhaps its just my local dealers way of writing up an invoice.??
(Ie) the Mechanic/technitions report etc. Rather then a quick total and bill with no explaination.

Im sorry, but writing just a sentance saying "carry out 3rd year service", is not good enough, i would like to know what im actually paying for, and for what items are actually been looked at, and that others are not.

Some people rather just pay up and not bother wanting to know, but if your paying a wedge of cash, it goes without saying you want to know why its that much and whats been done to justify their cost.

Sorry but i thought asking someone on here might be able to help me rather then me standing face on AGAIN with the service manager.

Im concerned with what appears to be lack of items changed and that the Brakes have been missed as she is just over 2 years old and has now had its 3rd service with very little done.

The Cost is not an issue, i would of payed a higher price if further parts are replaced, ie Brake Pads are serviceable on a car that has done 33000 miles. Ok spark plugs are done at 40k/4 years, but that seems an awful long time between servicing.No fuel filter mentioned??.

My cam tensioner was mentioned to them to be noisey and once again, because they proceeded with the service in the morning when the engine temp was warm so fault wasnt traceable, but i clearly said to them DO NOT look at the car till the Pm so they could investigate this Worrying noise.So they done the service in the AM
They had no one "skilled" to look at my car with Vag-com to resolve another few issues, so refused to resolve that problem aswell.

Above all means yet more trips back to a dealer which when you have family and kids to worry about and transport for them , it isnt easy to balance, which isnt such a problem when your the only person that uses that vehicle.

So hopefully you might understand Robin, my anger and frustration.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:03:36 am by Phil Mcavity »