Make a donation

Author Topic: My first DSG experience...  (Read 937 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
My first DSG experience...
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:54:26 am »
Statllers kindly lent me an A3 2.0tdi dsg whilst they sort of the mess of my sticking clutch.

I have never driven an automatic before except in Canada.

Am i right in thinking that the DSG set up of a sporty model like a Gti or an RS3 is set up differently (revs higher to the limiter etc) to a more standard model such as the 2.0tdi? I ask because whilst I am enjoying a DSG for a change I am not finding it to be particularly rewarding to drive in either D or S mode although I find the tiptronic paddle shifts quite cool

But will certainly drive both options before plumping for a manual again...
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: My first DSG experience...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »
Its pointless redlining a diesel, you are well out of the power by the time you get anywhere near the redline.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:05:08 pm »
Its pointless redlining a diesel, you are well out of the power by the time you get anywhere near the redline.

I guessed that; have not been redlining it ( I have treated it with respect like I would my own car Steve if you are reading this  :happy2:) but yes the low down power/torque seems to be all delivered before 4k.

Quite like the Audi interior, plastics definately seem to be of a higher quality than the Golf, as expected

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »
Let me know when you are back at Statllers and I'll take you out in my Golf R DSG.  :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »
Let me know when you are back at Statllers and I'll take you out in my Golf R DSG.  :wink:

yeah John, I think I need to see a true machine in action and then I will be 90% sure I want a DSG next time whereas now after driving the 2.0tdi am a bit unsure

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8crk0aconsou1m8mua5s5jiuo0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:55:21 pm »
Statllers kindly lent me an A3 2.0tdi dsg whilst they sort of the mess of my sticking clutch.

I have never driven an automatic before except in Canada.

Am i right in thinking that the DSG set up of a sporty model like a Gti or an RS3 is set up differently (revs higher to the limiter etc) to a more standard model such as the 2.0tdi? I ask because whilst I am enjoying a DSG for a change I am not finding it to be particularly rewarding to drive in either D or S mode although I find the tiptronic paddle shifts quite cool

But will certainly drive both options before plumping for a manual again...

See bold  :signLOL:

DSG-GTI

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 05:16:00 pm »
/\ /\ /\ /\

DSG in a diesel... NOPE...

A Friend of mine has a Mk6 2.0 GT with a DSG box and its forever dropping gears and reving its nuts off when not required... seems odd to me as diesels have loads of torque...  I think 6 gears in a power band between 1.5k and 3,5k doesn't suit the box...  I would suggest that you try a petrol version before making any firm judgement bud.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 06:09:40 pm »
Take up Hurdy's kind offer and see how a DSG is best used.

D is excellent for urban crawls etc but shifting gear in M using the paddle shifters is exactly the same as on a conventional manual transmission - Just Think Manual and change gear as you would normally. I wouldn't bother with using the floor stick tiptronically and S is for explanation later if you ever seriously consider a DSG car.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

DSG-GTI

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:46:46 pm »
/\ /\ /\

RR is a fan of the pikey paddles... I much prefer to tap the stick as it's what my brain is used to after all these years  :grin: