Make a donation

Author Topic: bootcamp help  (Read 764 times)

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
bootcamp help
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:21:58 pm »
hello,

so i have a MBP with lion, the problem is some of the programs i need for work only run on windows so need to install it via bootcamp...

i have a copy of windows 8 that ive 'acquired' and have on my hard drive, its in .ISO format.

my question is how to i tell bootcamp to run the ISO to begin the windows installation, do i need to burn it to a disc, or use daemon tools or similar?

if anyone with experience can chip in, preferably with step by step instructions i would really appreciate it.

thanks,

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ih41ppn9f2rivaev39u4drvbgk&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: bootcamp help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:11:02 pm »
What i would do is download Virtual Box... and use that to run Windows.

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:13:09 pm »
What i would do is download Virtual Box... and use that to run Windows.

cool thanks i will check it out, any ideas on how to get the ISO from being just a file on my hard drive to an actual installable version of windows? thats the bit im a touch short of experience on...

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ih41ppn9f2rivaev39u4drvbgk&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:18:47 pm »
When your setting up the Virtual Machine, you add the ISO in the storage part in the settings... you add it as a CD/DVD.

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:02:02 pm »
To Install and run Bootcamp,

you will need to run the Boot camp config. Download and burn the BTCMP Tools to DVD.

It will then prompt you for inserting your Windows CD (You will need to burn your in 8 ISO to DVD)

Once rebooted and booting from Windows, Go in to advanced disk partition, format the Bootcamp partition. (DO NOT DELETE THE BOOTCAMP PARTITION)
Install Windows as per normal.

Once completed, MBP will default boot into windows. Finalize installation, and activate.

To choose between OSX LION and Win8, hold the Option key, select your OS of choice.
Make sure you install the Bootcamp Tools DVD you created to install in the Windows Partition.

You now have a fully working OSX / Bootcamp / Windows MBP.

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »
Cool thanks for the help, I figured it out using richwig method. Just one q what would you use for burning the ISO to DVD, Nero?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:43:03 pm »
Cool thanks for the help, I figured it out using richwig method. Just one q what would you use for burning the ISO to DVD, Nero?

.. you dont need to. It will boot up from the ISO file!  :happy2: