Make a donation

Author Topic: xenon style lights by FK any good???  (Read 69080 times)

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
Re: xenon style lights by FK any good???
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2012, 08:18:25 am »
It's the way the beam angle sits.

RHD = \

LHD = /

LHD on a RHD car puts the highest side of the beam pattern is right into the face of oncoming traffic

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2012, 08:26:03 am »
Is this to accomodate for the angle of the road?

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2012, 08:40:28 am »
If we are talking about the RHD - the car sits on the left side of the road so the beam angle is high on the left (to light the side of the road on your side) and lower at the right so as not to blind on coming cars.

And LHD is the opposite - the cars sit on the right so that its the right side that is high to light the side of the road.

So if you put a LHD car in a RHD situation - the beam will be high into oncoming traffic and where you need the light at the side of the road the beam will be too low.

Hope that helps

Pics to help :-
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3119729

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:56 am »
All lights have a "Kick up" to light the verge on the near side.

So Right hand drive the kick up would be light this:
_____
         \_______

And Left hand drive kick up like this:

_______
_____/

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »
GOOD NEWS Guys!!!

Had a reply to my email to the seller and he confirms that they are 100% RHD and made by Depo.Tried to negotiate a discount for us but he said (and i quote) "These are already proving mega popular and we only have 6 sets so i wouldn't be looking to discount on them"

I am going to order a set now and let you know what they are like when they arrive.If anyone else is looking to buy some do so now as id imagine when these are gone and come back on sale they will be at a higher price.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:31:42 pm by mo »
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »
GOOD NEWS Guys!!!

Had a reply to my email to the seller and he confirms that they are 100% RHD and made by Depo.Tried to negotiate a discount for us but he said (and i quote) "These are already proving mega popular and we only have 6 sets so i wouldn't be looking to discount on them"

I am going to order a set now and let you know what they are like when they arrive.If anyone else is looking to buy some do so now as id imagine when these are gone and come back on sale they will be at a higher price.

Guys! I live in The Netherlands, so I need LHD (left hand drive) right???
I want the exact same set as 'Keano' (looks stock/o.e.m.) on my 2005 mk5 GTI. Are they from the brand 'FK'?
I can't find them on the FK website anymore...
Also looked at the ones in the ebay link ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320934515308?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ) mentioned above (brand Depo?) but it looks like the glass projector are smaller (diameter), so it doesn't look good/not o.e.m..
Am I right?

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2012, 02:52:38 pm »
GOOD NEWS Guys!!!

Guys! I live in The Netherlands, so I need LHD (left hand drive) right???
I want the exact same set as 'Keano' (looks stock/o.e.m.) on my 2005 mk5 GTI. Are they from the brand 'FK'?
I can't find them on the FK website anymore...
Also looked at the ones in the ebay link ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320934515308?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ) mentioned above (brand Depo?) but it looks like the glass projector are smaller (diameter), so it doesn't look good/not o.e.m..
Am I right?

Yes you will need LHD lights.
With regards to the Depo ones being different to the FK ones i think a lot of the images used on ebay are generic ones and someone also mentioned earlier in this thread that the Fk ones were in fact made by Depo, and were stamped as such oin the casing.Ill be sure to check mine when they arrive and see what the projector lense looks like.
RNS510 & MDI

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2012, 03:18:15 pm »
Let me know 'Mo'!
What seller have you used (link)?
Maybe I can contact him if he sells lhd ones and for what price shipped to The Netherlands.

Offline red6688

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2012, 03:21:56 pm »
i ll sell u mine just recieved from germany by fk automotive

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2012, 03:28:54 pm »
i ll sell u mine just recieved from germany by fk automotive

Pm sent
So yours are from FK and are from the brand 'Depo'. So FK and Depo are the same...?
No lever on yours to switch between lhd and rhd?
On the FK's from Keano he mentioned a lever!?!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:33:08 pm by Timvgti »

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2012, 03:32:52 pm »
Im resisting a set of these! Il just get some hella ones eventually i think!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline red6688

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »
ive tried emailing fk automotive and calling ,ive given up with them and cant find switch, and with other members advising keano light as lhd with kick on right side opposed to left for uk driving i might sell them .i think i should have waited instead of impulse buying .

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2012, 04:30:57 pm »
I'm about to buy the FK (labelled Depo) xenon look headlights from red6688 (contact via PM).
Weird that he can't find a switch (lhd/rhd) inside them. So i guess they are different compared to Keano's headlights?!
Red6688's headlight are now lhd, so useful for me (The Netherlands).
I'm also going to look for a good 5000K hid kit.
A year ago I tried a (Infinity) hid set in my halogen housings, but after some weeks the wiper motor failed (well known problem with aftermarket hid). Any suggestions how to connect/what type?

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2012, 04:43:20 pm »
I'm about to buy the FK (labelled Depo) xenon look headlights from red6688 (contact via PM).
Weird that he can't find a switch (lhd/rhd) inside them. So i guess they are different compared to Keano's headlights?!
Red6688's headlight are now lhd, so useful for me (The Netherlands).
I'm also going to look for a good 5000K hid kit.
A year ago I tried a (Infinity) hid set in my halogen housings, but after some weeks the wiper motor failed (well known problem with aftermarket hid). Any suggestions how to connect/what type?

Done a bit of research on this today and according to a thread i was reading earlier on Briskoda the best bet is to buy normal non canbus friendly hid kit and get the coding on the car altered to xenons without shutter.This way you dont have any issues with wiper motors burning out, and the light out warning will work if one of the hid bulbs fail.

RNS510 & MDI

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2012, 04:55:39 pm »

Done a bit of research on this today and according to a thread i was reading earlier on Briskoda the best bet is to buy normal non canbus friendly hid kit and get the coding on the car altered to xenons without shutter.This way you dont have any issues with wiper motors burning out, and the light out warning will work if one of the hid bulbs fail.

This was exactly what I did! (Coding xenon without shutters with vcds and used 6000K Infinity hids without extra warning cancelers). Work great for about 8 weeks, but suddenly wiper motor failed. Removed the hid kit and threw it away. 
Maybe also depends on modelyear. Mine is 06-2005 AXX
Still confused about the lhd/rhd switch on FK/Depo headlights, because nobody posted a picture/used the lever...