Make a donation

Author Topic: Dumbbells  (Read 3333 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Dumbbells
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 11:20:32 am »
I've always been of the belief of not doing excessive cardio on the same days as weightlifting.

IMO, it would be better to do: 5-10 mins warm up on cycle/treadmill etc, 45 mins weightlifting, then 20 mins cardio and go home. It would be even better to do cardio on a different day to weightlifting. I'd also echo the responses about having rest days.

I used to do:

Mon - Delts + traps
Tue - Rest/Cardio
Weds - Back + biceps
Thurs - Chest + Triceps
Fri - Rest/Cardio
Sat - Legs
Sun - Rest

On rest days, I did no weightlifting. All depends on what you're after TBH.

Good food is important, rather than relying on protein powders etc. They're there to supplement your diet, not to replace it.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:14 am »
i'm after a bruce lee look rather than a ronnie coleman look
Bruce Lee, IIRC, did "power work outs" ie lifting to build explosive power, rather than to build. I suspect (but can't recall) that he did heavier weights and lower reps. The rest is down to diet + cardio.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 11:40:49 am »
to cut up rather than build up.

i'm after a bruce lee look rather than a ronnie coleman look

Then it's all about diet and lifestyle. Even if you spent 2 hours in the gym every single day that's less than 10% of your time. Don't make the mistake that most do of neglecting the other 90%.

Making small adjustments to yor diet would be far more important than lifting extra weights on your days off.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:47:39 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 03:47:18 pm »
Some good advice above here for you  :congrats:

Regarding not wanting the Ronnie Coleman look, dont worry about that, it wont happen matey, train as hard with the weights as you like and it still will never happen.  I hear this quite regularly at the gym "I don't want to get too big"..... You won't.  :happy2:

Just another important thing for when you start. Dont do too much of one particular body part (even if it's your favourite etc). Keep it even, equivalent effort and time for opposite parts, chest/back for example. The uneven "hunched" look isn't good.  I would also avoid cardio in weight days, food an protein supplementation is essential in the "golden hour" post training. Your muscles will be screaming for fuel at this time.

Lastly, take it steady with your routines, train to a regularity you can maintain. It's no good getting fed up after 2 months and wasting your previous efforts.

Good luck !
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:03:05 pm by markc »
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers