Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo Remap Pricing on older Mk5 GTi's  (Read 19304 times)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: Revo Remap Pricing on older Mk5 GTi's
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 10:38:32 am »
Jabbasport have also been tuning VAG cars long before REVO existed  :happy2:

Only 5 years according to their respective websites.

I was buying parts for my MK2's from Jabbasport 10-11 years ago, pretty sure they been around since mid/late 90's?  :happy2:

1997 according to the Jabbasport website and 2002 for Revo. 2002 - 1997 = 5  :confused:

5 years in the tuning world is a long time  :happy2:

Not many 2.0l TFSI's floating around then though.  :wink:

1.8T FTW!

No, but they were tuning my MK2's (8V and 16V) before the MK4 came out and then my MK4 1.8T around the time the Mk5 came out.  :happy2:

So what you are saying is they are behind the curve.  :confused:

NO.......................... just Revo and APR choose to artificially keep prices high based on their "Reputation" (Wont say "Name" in case RR get's on one again  :grin:).

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 02:57:42 pm »

NO.......................... just Revo and APR choose to artificially keep prices high based on their "Reputation" (Wont say "Name" in case RR get's on one again  :grin:).

....Tut-tut, Myles  :sad1: What do you mean by "artificially"? The word normally means "false". You could argue that any and every price which has a profit added is "false" or "artificial". Do you think it wrong for companies to gain profits to cover their overheads and continue making progress?

Whether you call it a 'brand' or a 'name', it's success is invariably built on reputation and reputations are earned irrespective of whether they are good or bad reputations.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 03:25:56 pm »
Obviously when Myles sells his RC car parts then he sells them on at cost price Robin.  :confused:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 05:10:17 pm »
Some items I sell at MUCH less than trade (To clear them) and some at good margins, unlike the tuning industry my products have to compete with other traders/supppliers and my prices reflect this, I cannot hold my prices at twice what others charge and hope they buy from me as I am one of the larger sellers with an established name who pays for marketing  :happy2:

I think this high overheads costs argument....etc.... is there to make people feel better about the price they paid for their remap  :signLOL:

It's all great having 50+ "Dealers/outlets" who dont cost Revo or APR money (They only provide the maps via email or a master disc etc) but they MAKE money for them.

Company A makes software available (Remap) and ultimately it costs them £50,000 to make said software and they sell it at £300 and have 1 outlet, they also provide full back up for the product and tech support.

Company B makes software available (remap) and They copy it from another tuner  :grin: it costs them £50,000 to make said software and they sell it for £600 and have 25+ tuning companies around the country selling their product earning the software supplier £400 and the Tuner £200, the tuner (Via the supplier) also provides full tech support.

How does company B have higher costs/margins than Company A other than providing tech support for a generic (adjustable by the installing tuner) map?, apart from travel costs to go and do the initial deal (I imagine with Awesome those costs are incurred every other year  :wink:).

Also how does company B justify charging UK customers £600 for a product developed in UK for the UK market when they are able to sell it in other countries (USA for example) at $500 (£310) (That bit is for you Robin  :happy2:) Also it will have been adjusted for different fuel ratings and hotter running temps, More development and "Costs" incurred and the same tech support is provided at surely an even higher cost as tech support will come from UK yet lower price?), strange?, is that profiteeringartificially holding higher costs or do they sell the product in other countries at a loss? (Doubt it  :grin:)

I find the whole development argument flawed, no doubt people will come up with "Other" costs but the basic principle is there?.

I made a product for the RC market a few years back (Which at the time was needed) and sold it in UK and Europe, I also sold it via other sellers (re-sellers) who bought the product from me at approx 60% of my retail price (call it trade price if you like), it did not cost me any more for the product (in fact it got cheaper as I was making larger quantities thus lowering my costs) and it was sold at the same cost as I myself charged and I got sales where I would not have done by selling to only in EU, it cost me nothing to market (other shops did it for me), my profit increased and overheads stayed the same.  :happy2:
I no longer make the product as I pretty much saturated the market after 18-24 months and it was roughly around that time that the Asian guys started copying it (Which was fine for me as I had made the money I wanted and I simply moved onto something else.

I am sure you are all very happy with your remaps and the price you paid, but, essentially would you have been happier to get the same product for half the price a more competative price?.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:53:54 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14