Make a donation

Author Topic: Noises from engine, help identify..  (Read 749 times)

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
Noises from engine, help identify..
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:51:23 pm »
My car has couple of noises that are bugging me, they are not that big but they do annoy. I was hoping someone knows what they might be.

First of all, my car idles very smoothly and quietly. But when I push to accelerate, the engine note becomes very "rattly". If I keep it slow, it doesnt do it. Its most noticeable when engine is cold and during low gears when boost is building up. When acceleration is continued to higher revs, I cant hear it anymore. Its easy to notice. Noise is not from intake or HPFP, because these I have changed recently. Also, I dont think its the camchain because my car is BWA and the symptoms for that are quite specific and dont really match. Noise cannot be heard during idle ever, cold or hot engine. If I could only get this noise during idle, I would be able to identify where its coming from.. But since there is no dyno near me where I could load the engine and watch what happens, I dont know how to debug this..

My other noise is a faint hollowish clunk or thud sound from the front of the car. Its easy to reproduce in manual mode (my car is DSG) when in 2nd or 3rd gear and extremely low speed, just tap the gas pedal for a second, and after lifting about 0.5-1s there is a sort of a clunk. It seems to come often when driving to car park, slowing down and when lifting off the throttle, clunk.

My car is a MY07 GTI DSG with revo s2, 3" dp with cat, THS top mounts, dogbone mount insert, s3 cooler, a3 throttle pipe, oettinger turbo outlet kit etc. From what I recall, neither of these sounds came alive after any specific modification.

I will be greatful for any hints or tips to pinpoint these. I have been searching all the VW forums I can find but either Im using wrong words or the problems are specific to me. :rolleye:

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: Noises from engine, help identify..
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:22:01 pm »
I had a similar sort of clunk with regards to the low gear acceleration/deceleration. I swapped the lower control arm bushes for TT ones which cured it. I'm not sure whether it was the bushes or retightening of the subframe bolts but it stopped it.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:38:29 am »
Thanks for the tip, this clunk sound can be also heard resonating a bit. I think its getting a little worse day by day. I tried to reproduce it by giving gas when I was in neutral but it doesnt do it then.

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:14:28 am »
I just realized that this may be the DSG DMF issue, rattling when boosting up and this clunck might be also assosiated with it. Anyone had a problem with it?

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:47:34 am »
One more thing.. I did a video also. You can check my clunks here.. You can hear it well at 15s, 18s and 20s.

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:31:00 am »
Not much help here :(

One more video from engine shutdown, does this sound normal? I think the DMF is rattling after engine is turned off, but I dont have a comparision sound from OK engine.