Make a donation

Author Topic: so honestly what do you think of the 510 multi function system  (Read 10511 times)

scottm72

so honestly what do you think of the 510 multi function system
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:38:55 am »
this is MY OWN PERSONAL opinion of the rns-510-h or any letter I guess after the b version
don't get me wrong I like the 510 unit, way better than my previous standard 300 unit
but
-my cheap tom tom picks up better routes which the 510 just doesn't see, even major side routes sometimes
-the road curving up to say 300 metres is better on my tom tom
-with being low down as you say the 510 is not in your line of vision
-the radio navigation guide is not great
-it is not dab - I know there is one coming out now
-when you use the media button for cd player and eject the cd it starts playing music automatically from my phone via Bluetooth lol
-when you are listening to the radio and put a cd in it automatically goes to cd as it should - but - it misses the first couple of seconds of the disc whilst the unit changes from radio to cd player ?????????
-my traffic function does not work (seemingly subscription service )
-unit has very limited audio amendment features
-radio text is next to useless although I know that is down to the radio stations
-the 510 is veeeeery expensive
-the 3d nav viewer is very basic
-the audio outputs should be a bit higher than 20w per channel
-it should have a tv tuner for a two grand unit, man it should make coffee at two grand

seems like I hate the unit doesn't it lol
there are good points though
-it looks very oem
-it is good for integration for things like mfsw / mk6 camera etc
-the dvd player is superb quality screen
-the mk6 camera screen is also very good but that's more down to the £350 I shelled out for a mk6 camera
-and mmm, it lights up red like the other controls in the car

also it is very difficult to upgrade the audio on it due to the connectivity, most other after market units at a fraction of the price will let you do this, with the 510 still not letting you go over 50%-60% volume depending on type of music especially drum and base etc without distorting the quality, nobody is getting say 80% volume on any type of 510 unit without some major upgrading of the speakers, the oem speakers / tweeters etc cant handle it.

sure I will pick up a lot of flack from 510 lovers by this thread but so be it, the above comments are my own personal opinion and I do somewhat like the unit but if I didn't need it for my rear view camera and mfsw I would change it in the future whilst it still has re-sale value.
what is it vw charge for one of these things £2100 or so, obviously I didn't pay that but even so that's a crap load of money
biggest disappointment is the nav, on my £50 tom tom I have been using for years I can predict the oncoming curves on a country road and reduce my speed accordingly for blind corners driving into them, on my 510 it is way more difficult as it is nowhere near as detailed no matter even if you put it to it's maximum zoom of 150 yards, it just does not show enough detail.

so there is my opinion of the rns-510-h all singing all dancing multi function unit
let the opinions roll in
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:47:00 pm by scottm72 »

scottm72

Re: so honestly what do you think of the 510 multi function system
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:54:46 pm »
bump

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:59:35 pm »
Well it seems as though you have aired your opinion and you want people to start a fight with you regarding the RNS.  :rolleye:

I couldn't give a monkeys.  :happy2:

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:50 pm »
Works all right for me, very impressed with it and the other bits attached to it. 
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:06:21 pm »
superb, Great spring to mind

I'm on my 3rd one :happy2:
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

scottm72

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »
look when I started this thread I knew I would be hammered by about a 7 to 1 ratio and I AM happy with my system,
to be fair though the negative points I put on the first entry are pretty accurate and not exaggerated.
it is an impressive system and I love the integration, only reason I bought it tbh
I just wish the negative points I posted where not as bad as they are
I mean for example whilst listening to radio if you put a cd in it starts playing before the audio switches over from the radio meaning if it is the type of cd that starts very quickly you will miss the first couple of seconds of the track - now I am assuming that ALL the 510 units do this, either this or I have a fault with mine which I doubt.
ok it aint a big deal really but there are about 12 of these niggly things that could be put in the ( not a big deal category ) and they really shouldn't be there on the unit in the first place.
saying that would still like to hear peoples opinions and would also like to hear if ANY OF THE NEGATIVE POINTS I HAVE LISTED has been noticed by other people.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »
I haven't used a CD in ages :signLOL:

Load your music onto an SD card or get rid of the ipod dock and get an MDI :happy2:

No matter what item you buy, it will have little flaws

Some of the minor problems you list can be switched off

The bluetooth playing when in media, that can be disabled in the set up menu
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 05:42:54 pm »
I've only put two mods on my car.  One was a forum sticker which has given me at least two more horses and the other was an RNS510 which is cracking bit of kit IMO.  I've got a version B and it works flawlessly.  I use a TomTom in the work's van which has great mapping but compared to other car manufacturers head unit/nav systems, I think the RNS510 is far superior.  The system in my mate's Landrover Freelander is dreadful.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:46:42 pm »
My Mk5 GTI came with whatever unit it came with in 2005. I needed SatNav which would cover all of Europe because I was doing trips, so I replaced the VW unit with a Pioneer and then later an Alpine SatNav DVD Audio combo.

So, I have absolutely no experience of the 510. I've driven other cars with OEM units, especially Audi's, and much prefer mine because the touch screen flips up and is more in my peripheral vision while driving. But as a musician I tend to listen to music with too much focus and so it distracts me from driving. I never listen to the car radio either and never get bored driving, whatever the distance - 760 miles being my longest single session.

So I have no idea what a 510 can do but gather that it does a whole lot more than what VW supplied in mine in 2005.  :happy2:

Well it seems as though you have aired your opinion and you want people to start a fight with you regarding the RNS.  :rolleye:

I couldn't give a monkeys.  :happy2:

....I don't think that Scott is looking for a fight or even an argument, Ian. He has a certain way of expressing himself which might sometimes suggest that (he and I started off 'fighting' hard when he first arrived on the forum but we both made the effort to understand each other and now often exchange friendly PMs). I think he is simply keen to share his honest opinions and hear and possibly learn from other folks here.  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »
This would have been better posted as a review, rather than in the General section.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »

This would have been better posted as a review, rather than in the General section.

....Except that Scott hasn't structured it like a review:  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,438.0.html

Is there an Audio section on the site?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pt5nok6isuuarok7g7u25jrcat&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:18:13 pm »
But your satnav blocks the hazard warning switch robin............ ;-)

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 07:22:12 pm »

....Except that Scott hasn't structured it like a review...

You're not wrong there.

scottm72

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 07:25:23 pm »
Andrew every comment that comes from you is always negative, every damn one of them, if you have a chip on your shoulder get it said on snip it  :stupid:
nobody is slating the 510 here and some of you guys need to calm down a bit, my opinion on this thread in no way said this was a cap unit or anything like that, in fact it states I am still happy with the 510.
I have simply pointed out the negatives from this unit and then the positives, if you actually take the time to read the thread you will see this.
the points I made about the 510 are factual and not made up, I posted that the unit is very good at connectivity and a lot of other features are also good, but because I list some wanting areas on the unit people should not just read that bit and try to jump down the authors throat maybe because YOU have this unit and you will not be told in any way it shouldn't have the flaws it has.
ok, maybe should have been in the review section but it is where it is and aint causing any harm.
most of the negative points I made CANNOT be turned of in the menu section without effecting other parts of the unit like the Bluetooth,
and yes I still use cd's until I have the time to sort out the sd hd part of the system, but tell me this.
how can a unit that retails for over £2000 not play a cd from the start ?
why does the system start to play the disk before the audio switches over from radio ?
go on try it yourself.
this is a basic part of a cd player and has been overlooked unless I have a dodgy unit obviously.
red robin is right with saying that my comment on an item may not be laid out in a way that gives you a cuddle whilst you read it, but, this thread was to get peoples ideas on the 510 in general and my thread is polite / factual and informative.
if you are coming on here just to throw a rude opinion then please don't and leave it for people who would like to comment on their thoughts regarding their experience of this unit.
as for you Andrew parker why don't you stay away from my threads as everything that comes from you is dribble
I knew before I posted this thread that lovers of the 510 would be upset and my intention is never to upset people,
I even mentioned to rr that 510 users would not like any negative comments on this thread about their system, this was before posting the thread, ask him if you like, so was I opening myself up to flak - yep - but that's not a problem.
although  I have only been on this site for 3 months I have commented / debated / learned and helped out with mostly all that will read this thread and you should know by now that I don't just post rubbish about a good item ( with the exception to andrewparker who is  :stupid: ) did I mention that already !!!
so chill out guys and leave the comments to helpful ones please as we are all here to try and help each other, read the thread for what it is and if you have no constructive opinion then that's no problem, if 99 people love the system and 1 hates it that's also not a problem as this is the feedback I am looking for
 :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Saintsteve

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 07:26:53 pm »
But your satnav blocks the hazard warning switch robin............ ;-)

:popcornsoda: