Make a donation

Author Topic: Kenwood DNX520VBT  (Read 23757 times)

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Kenwood DNX520VBT
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »
No worries  :happy2:
I was the same - was looking at a 510 but to get new with all the functionality (bluetooth/ mdi/ can bus if needed) you need to spend serious cash, - put in a drunken cheeky offer on a kenwood on eBay & won it. Really wasn't sure I'd made the right decision until it went in- I think you will be pleased, does everything you could want and has played every file type I have thrown at it, looks good in the flesh too. Hasn't let me down yet.
I had the rcd 300 in my eddy too - was so disappointed with the sound and the iPod prep - changed it within 2 months of owning the car. I had a mk 4 V5 & the system was so much better in that. The kenwood defo makes a marked improvement - the addition of a sub & I reckon it would be pretty near perfect.
No probs with lead just thought I'd offer it incase u were looking to purchase one - did well to get it included!

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »
Hi,

I just installed my Kenwood. Its great. One thing thats on my mind though is the GPS antenna is currently sitting on top of the unit, just below the main vents. Where did you place your GPS antenna? I had originally hoped to mount it a bit higher, but couldn't really find anywhere else.

My fingers are frozen solid from fitting it in there today, so think i'll wait until tomorrow for any adjustments if needed.

Now to change the start screen and have a play  :smiley:

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »
 Hi mate

Mines higher up than that but I don't know where exactly as I paid to have it installed and had nipped out for a fag and came back as the trim was all being put back together - he said it was high up though.
You can test your signal strength on the unit though and mine says its working within a 35 ft accuracy most of the time. Been meaning to take things apart to have a look at moving the antenna as have hear of people getting11 ft accuracy.
Had mine installed since x mas and it has only got confused once but that was on a tree lined street.
Read somewhere that it should be mounted on a metal base so either on the unit or there is a stick on metal plate that comes with the kit (mine is still on the box).
There are loads of threads on here about the best place to locate the antenna if u use the search function - may take a look at mine this weekend.
Let me know how u get on and your accuracy readings.

Some good start up images here

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/rns-510-custom-boot-screens-67987.html

:happy2:

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 06:18:11 pm »
Awesome, thanks for that. How exactly do you check the accuracy? Is it in the Nav mode? or the Settings?

I'll check accuracy and move the position if necessary. All I can say is, it can be a bit of a pig to actually get to the torx screws. I found myself perched on the edge of a seat bolster with my head squished against the windscreen! at least no one was around to point and laugh...

Also, I tried the startup screen about half an hour ago, it loaded images from those link from my USB Drive, by they didnt seem to set? Is it due to them being .png files? or did you use the burn ISO method?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, thanks :-)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:23:06 pm by adminkatana »

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 06:32:04 pm »
No worries

The image files need to be jpegs so just rename them " .jpg" then u shouldn't have any issues.

To check the signal go into the nav mode and on the top left corner there will be bars showing signal strength (like on a mobile phone) click on these bars and another screen will open telling you accuracy and how many satellites you are receiving.  :happy2:

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 06:33:25 pm »
Great, thank you!!  :grin:

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 12:25:07 am »
Just for your information, I went for a drive tonight and checked the signal on the GPS.

The antenna is situated just below the two main vents and is resting just on top of the Head Unit. My signal ranged from 45ft (under a tree) to 11ft (in a car park by the beach)

Thank you for all your help, I got all the startup/ background screens loaded up too  :smiley:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 05:24:48 am »

Looks like a fantastic unit. Great write up  :happy2:

Offline w33gry

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 10:05:41 am »
Have any of u guys been able to get DVD player to run all the time? As in driving as soon as I move off screen goes blank! I want it to play all the time, also the SMS feature does this work on yours

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 11:43:05 am »
You would have to chop the harness about to get DVD in motion I believe. Heard u Could ground the wire to the parking brake but don't think this is the case as DVD still plays on mine if I take the handbrake off - it just goes off when I go above 5mph which would suggest its linked to a speed sensor - this may be needed for the nav too? There is probably a way round it but u would need someone who knows what they are doing to modify the loom? It obviously isn't made that way for safety reasons - not really a good idea to be watching top gun whilst gunning it down a B road!
The SMS function only works with certain phones - check the kenwood website for compatibility with yours. Doesn't work with my iPhone.

Adminkatana I reckon u will with that level of accuracy - checked mine and I'm getting similar results - I'm getting 13 ft on the open road and 39 under trees etc and it works fine day to day :happy2:

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 03:13:36 pm »
Great, thanks again for all your help.

Offline w33gry

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
Yeah nothing to do with hand brake, it only switches off when u are moving, that'll be why SMS isn't working I've an iPhone too.
As regards to GPS antenna I mounted mine in top left of windscreen, was a bit of a pain but that's where my last one was for my vw sat nav was mounted along with a blackberry hands free cradle. But I wanted to upgrade.

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 07:45:13 am »
I got the local fitter to give me 'movies in motion', basically it is earthing the handbrake cable. This makes the TV, DVD and phone work on the mov. I found not being able to dial out unless on preset numbers a pain. I'm no fan of multi screens around the car either so the passengers can keep an eye on the screen while I drive - as yet I haven't actually used it apart from in London rush hour traffic to listen to the news.....so really one of those things you want, then you get, then find you don't use!

marky, thanks so much for summarising all of this, really helpful. The only problems I have had are updates (which I now have good instructions for so will try next week), and the radio reception is hit or miss, not decided on what to do about that yet. Also re map updates, I'm not clear on whether they have to be done in the back SD slot or front, conflicting instructions from Kenwood or Garmin.

Other than that it is a great unit, and so much cheaper that the VW ones. Regrets, I can't get the optical parking sensor, sometimes the unit is slow. Also the standard splash screen from VW is hideous and totally lacks effort. I tried changing it in the past but no joy so will again follow these instructions. Reception is sometimes iffy and seems to get interupted by mini-cab radios (!). Last one is the unit lights cannot be wired to come on if the unit isn't on, but there is a little triangle near the 'on' button to assist, would be good to know if this was addressed in the latest unit.

Good points, it works with the MFSW and actually does more than the VW unit. Also looks very OEM, especially if you also change your aircon knobs for the round/silver type.

oh and it isn't compatible whatever you do with iphones and sms, i called and asked. one nice touch as well is if you hold the FNC key you can switch off the screen alone, handy at night as it can be quite bright.

overall i like it, and certainly was a better purchase than some of the dodgey looking ebay units, plus I know it isn't nicked!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:49:27 am by LondonGT »